The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I wonder if any of you have any comments or experiences you could share:

I am currently about 4 months away from completing my master's degree, and there is a distinct possibility that the job market in my field is going to require my relocation.

I've just gotten the "green" off my reputation in my high school football association and now I'm likely going to be starting somewhere else where nobody knows me.

Have any of you guys had to "start over" and how did it affect your assignments, reputation, etc...? Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Depends on the association...

In our association here in Hawaii, we always welcome new members, especially if they have prior experience.

New guys will be assigned to JV and Pop Warner games for the first month. We use 6 man mechanics for all our games. If their experience checks out varsity games will be assigned after that.

I finished my 9th year and my schedule is something like this: semi-pro game every other week from May through July, 1 or 2 high school games and 2 youth league games weekly August through November.

Be careful though. One of our members moved to Fresno. He has at least 20 years of experience. The local association did not give him any games. So it truly depends on the location and the demand for officials.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2003, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Get letters of recommendation from your assignor, association president, et al, and send them to the new association when you're ready to move.

While I didn't move out of state, I moved to another area about 100 miles away, to a new unit of the state association (CA). I had no problems, but I did have 17 years experience at that time.

Good luck,

Bob
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Depends where you go. Many of the places in Texas will require you go through their new member training regime, just like all the rookies. And then since many games are "picked" by coaches, the only varsity games you would get are the ones that are Chapter assigned. And even then, chances are that you may not even get any of those the 1st season, depending on size of the Chapter.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

It is highly dependent upon chapter and the number of officials available.

A few years ago I went to California with 9 years experience. After working three weeks of preseason football I was on the field for a varsity game the first week and had five varsity games that season.

Yet, here in our association in New York the bylaws require any new official to work, at least, one season at a level below the level of your last association. Therefore, a varsity official must work a season as a JV official. Then that official can be selcted for a crew provided a place is available and a referee chooses him.