The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 10:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation Pretty Sobering.......

Lead story on tonight's FOX News - a loaded handgun was found in a wall locker at the school I worked last night. Y'all be safe out there!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Lead story on tonight's FOX News - a loaded handgun was found in a wall locker at the school I worked last night. Y'all be safe out there!
Wow,
Glad you didn't make any bad calls last night!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's news in the DC area?
If only you knew about all of the... oh nevermind, you're better off not knowing.

Remember, I officiated in DC.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 11:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's news in the DC area?
If only you knew about all of the... oh nevermind, you're better off not knowing.

Remember, I officiated in DC.
I live in a relatively violent city or area and that would be news here. Usually kids are killing each other outside of school. Hardly any schools shootings like other places. I would be news here even in the city.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 05:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Likely this.

Quote:
Letter sent to parents from Robinson Principal Dan Meier:

Dear Parents & Guardians,

I wanted to alert you to an incident that occurred today at Robinson. School administrators confiscated a gun inside a student's locker. Fairfax Police were notified immediately and criminal and administrative investigations are underway. The suspects involved have been identified and questioned. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken in response to this very serious event. We recognize the danger associated with any weapon in the school. Any violations that jeopardize the safety of students at Robinson will result in severe consequences as outlined in the Student Rights & Responsibilities document. I encourage you to engage your children in discussions about how to deal with similar situations in the future. The adults responsible for keeping students safe can do their jobs more effectively, if students are willing to report problems. We will continue to monitor this situation to ensure the safety of students. We are very appreciative of the quick response to this incident from our School Resource Officer and the Fairfax County Police Department. If you have any additional questions, feel free to call the school office.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 05:05am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Correct!

Good pull Juggling. Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a very good thing to bring up, so many things could happen in the schools we go in without us having any knowledge of them.

I will always scan the crowd a few times at any game I work regardless of age of the players looking for anyone who looks out of place or could be considered a threat of some sort.

We always have to keep in the back of our minds our safety and the safety of the participants and bystanders whenever we step out on the court or field.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 09:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I live in a relatively violent city or area and that would be news here. Usually kids are killing each other outside of school. Hardly any schools shootings like other places. I would be news here even in the city.

Peace
Just to clarify, school shootings are rare everywhere.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 09:22am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Likely this.
That's my high school. Wow!
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Robinson Secondary School, don't they host as a regional Super Site for the state quarterfinals?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 09:31am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Robinson Secondary School, don't they host as a regional Super Site for the state quarterfinals?
They sure do. The gym holds up to 5,000 if I remember correctly.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:04am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
This is a very good thing to bring up, so many things could happen in the schools we go in without us having any knowledge of them.

I will always scan the crowd a few times at any game I work regardless of age of the players looking for anyone who looks out of place or could be considered a threat of some sort.

We always have to keep in the back of our minds our safety and the safety of the participants and bystanders whenever we step out on the court or field.
That could include half the stands at most of my games. Here in "The Gunshine State", weapons at school is a pretty common occurence. It gets media coverage, but there's no real outrage. Likely a reflection of relative ease with which one can obtain firearms here...not meant to be a political commentary, just the reality of this state.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreferee View Post
They sure do. The gym holds up to 5,000 if I remember correctly.
Indeed. Robinson is the biggest HS (enrollment) in the state of VA and has been a regional super site for several years now.

I have a game there Tuesday.

And as far as the DC area comment, this school is in Fairfax County, which is consistently rated among the highest performing school districts in the country.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

I was supposed to do a Middle School Double Header but when I arrived at the parking lot yesterday I got a call from my assigner and he said the games were canceled because of a shooting that placed the visiting middle school on lock-down. I looked for any news of it but couldn't find any, so I imagine it was near the campus, not on the campus.

There went my well needed $92.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2012, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Just to clarify, school shootings are rare everywhere.
I know, that is why I stated what I did. Someone suggested that this is a usual thing. There are schools in the city that have medal detectors. So some kid having a gun would be news and alarm a lot of people. Outside the school, is a different issue.

Peace