The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mass sub match-ups execution

Good game last night, a couple of competitive girls soph squads -- with coaches working for every angle at every opportunity. A couple of execution questions for the collective wisdom here, please.

Team B subs all 5 players who will now be facing Team A's full-court press. I'm administering the throw-in on the endline and partner tweets, beckons me in a state of confusion to near the division line and says Coach A wants a defensive match-up.

Partner's unclear on what's being asked but I realize since it's three or more, this match-up can be requested. So the question: What's the best way of conducting this? Only Coach A and I know what's going on at first so it isn't about to come together too quickly.

First, I told my partner he's entitled to this, put some air in the whistle and beckoned all (confused) players to the division line, called over to Coach B to let him know what was going on and asked the players to face off.

But even then: Do we instruct them to stand five on one side of the division line, allowing the defense to pick and choose someone to guard?

Besides location, how long do we allow for this? It took about 15 seconds but I could envision some coach could try to stretch it. Just wondering.

The varsity guys in the locker room after my game tried to joke it off as merely a "courtesy" and didn't have much guidance for me when I asked them.

Oh yeah, sitch 2: Found out why it's really a good idea to let the game horn speak for itself, though I've seen the discussions here about whether to whistle a half dead, etc.

Two-point game ends on a contested rebound with one girl tumbling to the ground (twisted ankle, no contact). My whistle and raised hand/waving off to signify the end of the game momentarily confused a few folks who thought we might be shooting free throws. Don't know if I picked up a bad habit or what.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Just hold off on administering the throw-in until A is done with the "I've got #5" stuff.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 12:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. I believe the rule says a captain needs to request this, but I wouldn't deny it based on that.

2. No need to line them up. Just give the team time to identify the matchups and get started.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What they said. No need to bring everyone to the DL or to half-court. It's also a good time to re-tie your shoelace if it's loose.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you take your time before putting the ball in play and make sure everyone is where they need to be, then this will not be an issue in any way.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Great, thanks. Makes all the sense in the world.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Am I Right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
No need to bring everyone to the DL or to half-court.
Back in the olden days these "captain's match-ups" would be done around one of the three jump ball circles, that's right, I said three jump ball circles, there were three jump ball circles back then, and hash marks, and no substitute X's at the table, and no coaching boxes. Now, where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 05, 2012 at 03:40pm.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back in the olden days these "captain's match-ups" would be done around one of the three jump ball circles, that's right, I said three jump ball circles, there were three jump ball circles back then, and hash marks, and no substitute X's at the table, and no coaching boxes. Now, where are my car keys?
I remember those days - as a player. lol

And Saint Anthony knows.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I remember those days, as a player.
Shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)