[ Junior Varsity - Three Officials ]
One Game
$ 50.00
Two Games
$ 70.00

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, I think they should take some pay from the JV/Freshman officials and increase the pay of the varsity officials where I live.

Before you think I just want more money in my pocket, I have a reason for thinking this way:

(1) The separation between the two levels is very small -- something like $20 in my area (We usually get $60 for V, $40 for JV).

(2) Too many officials figure that $40 and home by 7:30PM is "good enough." I would prefer to see those who want to move up be rewarded more than those who are simply OK with staying at a lower level.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

$40 for JV, $30 for freshmen, $70 if you have both games.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

$45 for JV if they play 7-minute quarters. $55 (Same as varsity) if they decide to play 8-minute quarters, and only a couple of conferences do. We don't have individual JV games here. They are played before the varsity game and the same crew works both.

We get 40 cents a mile for one driver as well. We split it if we both have to drive.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

NV is $43.75 for FR, $43.75 for JV, which are done 2-man, and $60.75 for V if 2-man or $49.75 if 3-man. Additionally, a driver gets 0.55 per mile if over 10 miles one-way and any passengers get 0.19

Northern CA areas with which I'm familiar: $53 for JV and $75 for V. No travel fee. Sorry don't know the FR fee.

Like anything else, the cost of living in your area or state is going to dictate what your fees are. I don't expect NY/Conn fees in the South or the West (CA Bay Area may be the exception).
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

I am surprised at the responses, I thought sure, JV officials made more over all across the country.

Thanks for opening my eyes.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 08:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Constitution State ...

Connecticut: All subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games: $58.21 (per official, two person crew, one game, no mileage).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Personally, I think they should take some pay from the JV/Freshman officials and increase the pay of the varsity officials where I live.

Too many officials figure that $40 and home by 7:30PM is "good enough." I would prefer to see those who want to move up be rewarded more than those who are simply OK with staying at a lower level.
There needs to be a threshold fee that will get someone with some level of competence to call a game. The issue may be that the varsity pay is not enough, rather than the sub-varsity pay is too high.

Perhaps, also, the issue is whether the officials in your board believe working varsity is itself more stimulating, challenging or otherwise rewarding than working JV

Give me a crappy paying good game over a well-paying lousy game any day.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

True, zm...that was back when my schedule was more wide open than it is today...sometimes I'm just glad to help out and put on the stripes.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 11:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
There needs to be a threshold fee that will get someone with some level of competence to call a game. The issue may be that the varsity pay is not enough, rather than the sub-varsity pay is too high.

Perhaps, also, the issue is whether the officials in your board believe working varsity is itself more stimulating, challenging or otherwise rewarding than working JV

Give me a crappy paying good game over a well-paying lousy game any day.
There already is no such threshold. Schools hire their own sub-varsity officials and most times they're just looking for a licensed body. To get a license here you simply send a check and are supposed to take (annually) the Part I test open book and watch a 30 minute rules video online. If you don't watch the video or take the test, though, you don't lose your license -- you just can't work up the chain of levels in this state (6 levels of officials, MASTER being the highest). There's no requirement to play the state's level game to work varsity games, either -- assignors and schools can hire any licensed official. There's no requirement to join an officials association, either.

Last week I saw two guys working freshman games wearing Adidas trackpants (complete with 3 white stripes down the sides), white sneakers, collared shirts, and metal pea whistles. Their abilities as officials matched their appearance.

Just got me thinking -- why should these guys get $40-$45 each for this? This is how some people dress and officiate working rec ball at $20 - $25 a game.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

NYC Public Schools =

Varsity = $105.12
JV = $78.84

Officials also get a raise when the teachers' union gets a raise.

To the guys in GA: I'm glad to see they've gone up, at least a little. When I was there from '97-00 it was $35/$30.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
[ Junior Varsity - Two Officials ]
One Game
$55.00
Two Games
$77.50
[ Junior Varsity - Three Officials ]
One Game
$ 50.00
Two Games
$ 70.00
3 man JV ??!!?? Very cool!
Old Wed Dec 05, 2012, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I forgot to add that we tack on $15 to any game fee when only one game will be played. I have a game Saturday an hour and 45 minutes from my house and it's a single game, so I'll make $70. Single games are awesome when they're close to home, and they're awful when they're almost two hours away.