The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Pushing vs OOB- Rebounding

Since we were discussing out of bounds and this was a little more specifc I thought it might need its own thread.

A1 Misses shot of the rim. A5 is being boxed out by B5. A5 Jumps/Pushes onto and into B5's back to make a play for the ball. A5 gets hands on it as a result of the contact but the ball goes off B5. Out of bounds.

I've gotten to the point with this call that if I get a new partner I will pregame it with them to make sure we are on the same page in terms of the call. Some partners will call the foul to clean up the play, others will simply give the ball to team A as they are not disadvantaged. Obivously knocking someone down or significant displacement is a serperate issue.

What would you have generally in your games call wise? Pushing foul on this play or just the OOB?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Call the foul if it's a foul or call OOB on the correct team.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 10:00am.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Fouls are fouls and MUST be called. Marginal contact can be a no-call.

Given that you are describing a foul, your credibility as an official goes WAY down if everyone can see a foul which you do not call and then you make matters worse by calling an OOB the wrong direction. This is an old "philosophy" that should not be part of today's officiating, but unfortunately has been passed down by members of the old guard.

I would make sure you get YOUR plays right. If you think it may be a concern given prior experience with a crew, I think your approach to mention it in pregame is smart.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

I'm not calling an OOB to the wrong team. Not something I want showing up on somebody's video.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Thanks what if the ball goes off of A5?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Person Of Interest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm not calling an OOB to the wrong team. Not something I want showing up on somebody's video.
Video is the key. Way back in the twentieth century, before everybody, and their mother, had a camera in their cell phone, many officials would consider ignoring the foul, and giving the ball to the "wrong" team on the out of bounds play described. No more. Those times are long gone. Everything we do today, with the possible exception of getting dressed in the locker room, is on tape. Either charge the foul, or give the ball to the correct team on the out of bounds call. Those are the only two choices. Either fish, or cut bait.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 03, 2012 at 02:38pm.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Since we were discussing out of bounds and this was a little more specifc I thought it might need its own thread.

A1 Misses shot of the rim. A5 is being boxed out by B5. A5 Jumps/Pushes onto and into B5's back to make a play for the ball. A5 gets hands on it as a result of the contact but the ball goes off B5. Out of bounds.

I've gotten to the point with this call that if I get a new partner I will pregame it with them to make sure we are on the same page in terms of the call. Some partners will call the foul to clean up the play, others will simply give the ball to team A as they are not disadvantaged. Obivously knocking someone down or significant displacement is a serperate issue.

What would you have generally in your games call wise? Pushing foul on this play or just the OOB?
B5 plays great defense and A5 affected B5's ability to secure possession. Foul on A5. Easy call. Don't play these silly games where B5 touched it last and you give it back to B5 on an out of bounds violation.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 10:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Then you have 2 legitimate choices to pick from.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
The concept to use is often called "Possession Consequence".

If the "right" player/team gets the ball or will get the ball as a result of a violation, you don't have to call the foul, you can allow the play to develop naturally. That can either mean that B5 (or a teammate) got the ball or there was an immediate violation that ends up with B having the ball. You have the OPTION to not call the foul and let play continue with B in control of the ball or with a throwin for B.

If the "wrong" team/player gets the ball as a result, you have a "possession consequence" and should call the foul. You should not generally call something that didn't happen (an OOB call off what is clearly the wrong player).
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The concept to use is often called "Possession Consequence".

If the "right" player/team gets the ball or will get the ball as a result of a violation, you don't have to call the foul, you can allow the play to develop naturally. That can either mean that B5 (or a teammate) got the ball or there was an immediate violation that ends up with B having the ball. You have the OPTION to not call the foul and let play continue with B in control of the ball or with a throwin for B.

If the "wrong" team/player gets the ball as a result, you have a "possession consequence" and should call the foul. You should not generally call something that didn't happen (an OOB call off what is clearly the wrong player).
Occasionally, I still get feedback from a vet indicating I could have "saved the foul" and simply given the ball to the wronged team.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The concept to use is often called "Possession Consequence". ...
What is the current general philosophy/acceptability of this practice? That is more or less how I was taught, but it seems like it is losing favorability.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The only way I would not call a foul is if it is so bang-bang that I cannot determine if the foul took place and the same team would get the ball back. Otherwise, I am calling the foul. I think if we just call the foul what you said will not be the case. Video has changed everything. That philosophy to just give the ball back to the "right team" might have worked over 10 years ago, but YouTube and other forums have changed everything.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
What is the current general philosophy/acceptability of this practice? That is more or less how I was taught, but it seems like it is losing favorability.
Losing favor? What are you hearing in favor of?

I've been thought to call a foul in rebounding situations if there's possession consequence or to clean up rough play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Losing favor? What are you hearing in favor of? ...
For example: A1 under pressure bringing the ball into the front-court, B1 bumps A1 creating enough contact that a foul could be called and it is not marginal, but A1 keeps his balance and takes off and is actually put in a better position now than if the foul had been called.

When I was first learning from a D1 official, I was told to save that call and let A1 keep the resulting advantage. Now though, (far less experienced and lower level) people are saying to call that foul even though there was no "possession consequence."

So that is my question. In the officiating community, is allowing that play to go because it puts the aggrieved player in a better position despite callable contact still the favored approach, or is what I am being told now to call everything regardless of a lack of "possession consequence" the more currently accepted approach?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post
I think you have it backward.

West Houston Mike