The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Stationary Elbow during screen

BJV 2 man game last night. I'm lead opposite. Screen set near lane line extended and just below 3 pt arc.

A2 sets a screen. B1 runs into screen then falls backwards onto the floor with a grimace on his face.

I wasn't looking directly at the play but caught the end of it. It seems from my perspective that A2 had a high elbow during the screen. I assumed B1 ran into the elbow with the side of his head.

I didn't have a whistle on the play as I was not sure exactly what happened and would have been guessing.

Following the game my partner and I discuss and he said he thought B1 just tripped over a foot and never made it to the high elbow.

1. How would you have handled this from the info I've provided in my position?
2. Would this just be an illegal screen if the screen was set with an elbow extended but not moving?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 04:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
BJV 2 man game last night. I'm lead opposite. Screen set near lane line extended and just below 3 pt arc.

A2 sets a screen. B1 runs into screen then falls backwards onto the floor with a grimace on his face.

I wasn't looking directly at the play but caught the end of it. It seems from my perspective that A2 had a high elbow during the screen. I assumed B1 ran into the elbow with the side of his head.

I didn't have a whistle on the play as I was not sure exactly what happened and would have been guessing.

Following the game my partner and I discuss and he said he thought B1 just tripped over a foot and never made it to the high elbow.

1. How would you have handled this from the info I've provided in my position?
2. Would this just be an illegal screen if the screen was set with an elbow extended but not moving?
1) Just as you did. If you don't see it, you can't call it.

2) Yes.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

With a two man crew it's tough sometimes to get a good look at everything. When I get plays like that I think about what I could do next time on a similar play to get a better look.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2012, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
With a two man crew it's tough sometimes to get a good look at everything. When I get plays like that I think about what I could do next time on a similar play to get a better look.
...and keep in mind that there are only two of "us" and 10 of "them". We can't possibly see everything no matter how much participants and onlookers think we should.