The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Smile I always fall back to advantage/disadvantage

There is always contact. 10 people in a small area.
But, look for someone using it for an advantage. If no advantage, no call. I don't think displacement is relevant using this.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I'm not sure what a better word might be than displacement.
A better term than "displacement" is "SBQ". It stands for "speed, balance, quickness". Affecting any of things gives a great advantage to the defender, regardless of court position.

If a player's speed, balance, or quickness is affected, it's a foul; whether or not the player has been displaced.

It's an NBA-ism, but it's one that has been a HUGE help to me.

Chuck
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I would like to interject a point here, that this is not a foul on the ball-handler only. Hand-checking CAN occur against an opponent without the ball, although it is much less common. I like Chuck's "SBQ". These can apply equally as well to someone who is trying to receive a pass, as to someone who is trying to pass or shoot. And remember that nothing in the way the rule is written implies that it applies only to the play against the ball-handler.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker is onto what I am asking

There is, in fact, a difference in wording between the 2003-04 and 01-02 and 02-03 Points of Emphasis In 02-03 and 01-02, the section on handchecking was headed "hands off", in 03-04 it is just "handchecking." As I read them they all convey the spirit of "hands off".

Of course, I am not claiming "hands off" means "no touching." Incidental touching not intended to gain an advantage or resulting in advantage and particularly off-ball incidental touches are almost always ignored in practice and are addressed and defined in the rules. In 2002, for example (page 69 of NFHS Rules, under "Points of Emphasis") the statement appears: "The measuring up of an opponent (tagging) is handchecking, is not permitted, and is a FOUL [emphasis in original]." It also refers to both offensice and defensive players - so obviously they are not meaning the ball ahndler. In 03-04 they speak of "jabbing" instead of "tagging" and they refer also to continuous touching, but there is no change in the rule. The rules do not use the words "dribbler" "ball handler" "perimeter player" etc., and they do not distinguish where on the floor the touching occurs. In 03-04 they added the phrase "guidelines for teaching and officiating." The fact that off-ball touching, tagging, etc is rarely called is partly the fact that officials watch the ball, so alot of off-ball shenanigans go on.

In the 01-02 book (page 68, 4-A "Hands off") is the statement: "Hand checking is not incidental contact; it gives a tremendous advantage to the person illegally using his hands."

Rule Section 4-27 is the definition of "incidental contact" (p 34-35 of the 01-02 rules - I don't have the most recent book). Locating the position of an opponent by tagging, touching, hand checking, or what ever you want to call it, is not contained in the permitted incidental contacts. (Again, the POE explicitly declares hand checking not incidental). The closest applicable article is is Art. 3: "Similarly, contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental." The use of the hands by touching, tagging, handchecking to locate the opponent is obviously intended to gain an advantage and "hinder the opponent" and is not incidental, and when coupled with the POE's is definitive to my eyes.

Rule 10-6-1 ("contact") prohibits putting a hand on an oppenet with one exception - the only time when a player may intentionally place his hand on an opponent: "He/she shall not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent's hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball."

Here's the two POE lists from the past two years:
2003-2004:
2. Rough Play – Guidelines For Teaching And Officiating
A. Handchecking
B. Screening
C. Post Play
D. Rebounding
E. Block/Charge
F. Officiating Points

2002-2003:
4. Rough Play
A. Hands off
B. Post-play
C. Screens
D. Protecting the Shooter
E. Excess Swinging of Arm(s)/Elbow(s)

When I read the rules in their totality, it seems clear to me that the spirit of the rules is that use of the hands to gain an advantage by touching, tagging, handchecking, jabbing, etc. is prohibited on-ball and off-ball and all over the court.

There are many players and coaches who use the "it's only illegal

I suspect that one could play a whole season employing tactics like tagging and touching to locate and never get it called. But that doesn't make those actions within the rules.

In the code of ethics of the N. Fed of Coaches appears this statement: "The coach shall master the contest rules and shall teach them to his or her team members. The coach shall not seek advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rule."

Sorry for the long post, but should coaches teach their players to use their hands to find and keep track of their opponent? To me this seems to be prohibitied and should be stopped. I'm not advocating calling every example, but it seems to me it should not be a tactic taught to young players, as it is not an allowed form of incidental contact by the plain language of the rules.

Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Rainmaker is onto what I am asking

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbn3
... should coaches teach their players to use their hands to find and keep track of their opponent?
It seems to me that regardless of what others do, the player who can play great defense without any contact at all is at a tremendous advantage and it's an entirely legal advantage. It would NEVER hurt for a coach to teach players to keep hands off.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 05:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Rainmaker is onto what I am asking

Quote:

Of course, I am not claiming "hands off" means "no touching."
I guess you don't have any teenage daughters.
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Rainmaker is onto what I am asking

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Of course, I am not claiming "hands off" means "no touching."
I guess you don't have any teenage daughters.
You can touch without using hands . . . .

Wow.

I'm going to go break into a pharmacy now and take as many meds as possible.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 02:51pm
Administrator

I agree 100% with the statement previously made in this thread that when you have ten players and two or three officials running around in a small area, that there will be some incidental contact. Having said that, I would like to pose the following question:

Why does a player need to touch an opposing player with his/her hands or forearms to play basketball? Especially when the player can see his/her opponent 99.99% of the time.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Fronting the post...

is the situation where I see the most off-ball tagging, touching etc. (But some teams also seem to be taught to keep a hand on their man in rebounding situations, as they are watching the ball and not their man.) Basically the defender uses the tag or touch to "keep track" of the defender behind him. This varies from an occasional "tag" to nearly continues touching. Sometimes the offense player pushes or sways the tag away - occasionally this escalates.
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
If there is illegal contact using the hands away from the ball, it is advisable to not use the term "hand checking". It is a foul, regardless of what term and signal you use.

Coaches now have come to equate "hand checking" to action on the ball handler. Therefore, it is a good idea to use either a hold or a push or even a hack (we don't use illegal use of hands in Texas ) when reporting your foul. There is no difference in the penalty, so why try to confuse and incite the coaches over semantics.

The same thing goes for a drive to the basket. If there is a shot taken, the call should be something besides "hand checking".