The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

First games of the season

I've been going stir crazy since the end of volleyball but tonight it ends.Working 12 varsity girls games as a scorekeeper (school has already purchased the stripes) over the next three days.Let the crazy begin
Old Tue Nov 27, 2012, 05:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chain Gang ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I've been going stir crazy since the end of volleyball but tonight it ends.Working 12 varsity girls games as a scorekeeper (school has already purchased the stripes) over the next three days.Let the crazy begin
Wear the stripes proudly.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Less than a week for me to start my 2nd season. I expected another season of middle school ball, which is fine with me. Must have impressed someone along the way, got the first months schedule the other day, 8 JV games, 4 middle school games.

Not much for most people here I know but its something for me.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:05am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie74 View Post
Don't do that. Everybody starts somewhere, and everybody should be proud of moving to the next level, regardless of what that next level is.

Don't sell yourself short. Congratulations on getting some high school games!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 09:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Enjoy ...

Quote:
That's a great attitude to take.

Those games are the most important games being played anywhere that day for those kids, fans, and coaches. And I sincerely believe that. I'm a varsity official but I also do Catholic middle school games, and I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my varsity games. I just love being out there with the kids. Basketball is basketball, and I love the sport.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 30, 2012 at 06:43pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Don't do that. Everybody starts somewhere, and everybody should be proud of moving to the next level, regardless of what that next level is.

Don't sell yourself short. Congratulations on getting some high school games!
You're right! I'm actually pretty happy because my plan at the start of last year was high school games in year 3. I have some pretty good games on the schedule too.

Some of them are followed by varsity games so I plan on staying for those too.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

You'll do fine. I run into a lot of lower level officials where I live who are only on the court for the paycheck. No interest in getting better, no interest in looking the part, no interest in even looking interested when working.

Those who are interested and want to improve and advance quickly find themselves working higher level games.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Those games are is the most important games being played anywhere that day for those kids, fans, and coaches. And I sincerely believe that. I'm a varsity official but I also do Catholic middle school games, and I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my varsity games. I just love being out there with the kids. Basketbal is basketball, and I love the sport.
When I had my first game last year I was the highest paid spectator out there, I was brutal. But after a couple of games I caught on and became pretty comfortable and more proficient.

I agree too that the games are important for everyone. I am a veteran softball umpire, I enjoy the middle school games just as much as the upper level ball.

My biggest improvement of the year is an odd one, I managed to lose 15 pounds during the season which meant I was pulling my pants up every trip down the floor. I've now lost 40 pounds since last year, and bought new pants, looking forward to being a bit quicker and getting in better position.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You'll do fine. I run into a lot of lower level officials where I live who are only on the court for the paycheck. No interest in getting better, no interest in looking the part, no interest in even looking interested when working.

Those who are interested and want to improve and advance quickly find themselves working higher level games.
I worked with a few of those people last year. One guys idea of giving back to the game by helping new officials was allowing them to call the game basically by themselves. I called 20 fouls to his 3, so I could "learn" he also showed up at 3:28, for a 3:30 tip.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

The most important game

SoCal and Moosie... enjoy. I know I alwys look forward to the first games with glee...

Quote:

Those games are is the most important games being played anywhere that day for those kids, fans, and coaches. And I sincerely believe that. I'm a varsity official but I also do Catholic middle school games, and I enjoy them as much as I enjoy my varsity games. I just love being out there with the kids. Basketbal is basketball, and I love the sport.
Billy...
I love this thought. I too have seen people who are not 100% vested in the game they are doing at that time. I remember my playing days, (ok, my bench days) but MY WORLD at that time was the game of the day. I think it behooves all officials to give 100% concentration every time.

Me for example..Thursday 2 MS Girls games, Friday Boys Freshman, Sat AM Girls Freshman, Sat Night Girls Jr. College. The players ( or my paretners) will never know what my previous or next game will be, only that I am working their game now.

Last edited by wyo96; Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 11:04am. Reason: added partners
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 12:28pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Those games are is the most important games being played anywhere that day for those kids, fans, and coaches.
While I agree that you should give your best effort regardless of level of play, I think that Billy's statement above is not really true, especially at levels below high school.

Young kids can be more excited about going home and playing Nintendo than about their basketball game. Clueless parents who are coaching just to help out are more interested in the Pats game at 1:00 (or the Celtics that night) than their early morning basketball game.

Please understand that I'm NOT saying the games don't matter or that it's ok to be lazy in those games. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying Billy's sentiment, while admirable, is probably a little over-dramatic.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And That's The Truth (Edith Ann) ...

Quote:
I'm just saying Billy's sentiment, while admirable, is probably a little over-dramatic.
Maybe when others make statements like mine, it's overdramatic, but it my case it's the sincere, God honest truth. Sure, it would be great to work top notch high school varsity games several nights a week, but when I'm available, I really do look forward to working my Catholic middle school games, even down to fifth, and sixth, graders. I loved playing basketball in high school, loved playing intramurals in college, and loved playing playground ball as a young man. I loved coaching middle school basketball for over twenty-five years until helicopter parents eventually wore me down. I've loved every single interscholastic game in my thirty-two year officiating career. I hope that I'm healthy enough to keep doing this, although maybe not on the varsity level, for the next thirty-two years. I would absolutely, positively, not mind completing my officiating career working junior varsity, freshman, and middle school games.

Full Disclosure: I've never been able to get "into" men's recreation league, kid's recreation league, travel league, or AAU games, as much as I've gotten "into' scholastic games, but I still tried to give it my best effort. Those games I "pretty much" did for the money. I don't work those games anymore. I would do interscholastic games for free (almost) but don't tell anybody, or I'll have to kill you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 28, 2012 at 01:10pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Less than a week for me to start my 2nd season. I expected another season of middle school ball, which is fine with me. Must have impressed someone along the way, got the first months schedule the other day, 8 JV games, 4 middle school games.

We all started somewhere. I remember what my first season was like as if it was yesterday.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I always take pride in the game i'm doing weather it's a jr hi game or a packed friday night varsity rivalry game. Some guys lose the focus that to those j.v. or jr hi kids...That game IS their varsity game, its the most important thing to them and to their coach at that time. Congrats on the assignments, keep working hard and give those kids the game they deserve!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I agree that you should give your best effort regardless of level of play, I think that Billy's statement above is not really true, especially at levels below high school.

Young kids can be more excited about going home and playing Nintendo than about their basketball game. Clueless parents who are coaching just to help out are more interested in the Pats game at 1:00 (or the Celtics that night) than their early morning basketball game.

Please understand that I'm NOT saying the games don't matter or that it's ok to be lazy in those games. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying Billy's sentiment, while admirable, is probably a little over-dramatic.
Maybe you don't understand what goes into coaching kids at any level. While some of the guys or "clueless parents" as you call them, may not be deciples of the game. They still put A TON of time in with the kids, between working full time jobs, daily 2-2 1/2 hour practices, and games they sacrafice alot of family time to be there for those kids. Are there some kids who really don't want to be there...sure but look at the typical 15 kids on a team, you will have atleast 10-12 kids who REALLY do think that (at that moment) that game is the most important thing to them. Atleast thats my experience in my area with youth leagues, weather its hoops, football or baseball they (the kids) care.