The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

First Games Of The Season!

No, not reffing...Coaching! What a great start to the season!

Posted a few weeks back I was coaching my 3rd grade daughter's team at the multi-court facility where I ref at, in a Indy metro area travel league.

Had our frist games today....we have a Blue and Gray team because we have 17 girls.

Gray (the team my daughter is on) won going away 29-3...we held them scoreless until the 4th Q with about 3 minutes left. (Ref bailed them out and put em on the line for their first point of the game!) I'm just playing...I was glad they finally scored in all reality. I didn't want them to get shut out....not my style...

Lil' Miss C-doggs was 0-3 from the field but played some great D. (#4 in white) I need to work with #20 on that "inside" positioning!

Here she is on a break away after a steal. Not bad for her first game travel game.

2nd game...My Blue team got down early and was down 20-12 at the half....Second half was a complete turnaround. We rallied back and were down 27-28 with about :30 left...had 2 good looks at the bucket and couldn't get it to go down.

Other team brought the ball down, dribbled around trying to burn time and with about :16 left dribbled off the right wing toward the lane...stopped, picked up the dribble on the low block and we knocked the ball away and took off on a fast break...missed the wide open layup ...O-reb, put it back up with :03....29-28...C-Doggs and the Royals win!

Their ensuing throw in went OOB...we threw it in and held it.

I was wondering if I'd be able to keep myself from trying to officiate the game...I did good vocally not saying anything....but I found myself on the sideline making like a hearing impared interpeter giving signals for calls they I thought they were missing!

So I got my first 2 Ws as a travel coach .... but more importantly my kids had fun! I can't wait for next weekend!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Nice.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs View Post
No, not reffing...Coaching! What a great start to the season!
So I got my first 2 Ws as a travel coach .... but more importantly my kids had fun! I can't wait for next weekend!
coach was there a question in there?

great job Dad!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

#4 - Knees bent, back upright, her head lower than dribbler....you taught her well!

Congrats!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post
#4 - Knees bent, back upright, her head lower than dribbler....you taught her well!

Congrats!
Some of them like to play the "Frankenstien" defense! We'll be working on that Wednesday at practice...

Lil #4 did ok...I was proud. Her three shots all came on one trip...shot-oreb, shot-oreb-shot (halfway down and rimmed out). Mom went nuts when she thought she scored

She said to me after the game..."Dad I never sweat like that at practice!" I told her, "Maybe the coach should make you run more!"
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never, Never Again ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs View Post
Gray won going away 29-3. We held them scoreless until the 4th Q with about 3 minutes left. Referee bailed them out and put em on the line for their first point of the game. I'm just playing. I was glad they finally scored in all reality. I didn't want them to get shutout, not my style.
This reminds me of a game that I did very early in my career. It was a fifth, and sixth grade, Catholic school, girls game, way back when Title IX hadn't fully kicked in yet, and girls were just starting to play competitive basketball. One team was horrible, and the other team was a little bit better. Near the end of the third period, the horrible team was losing 12-0. I overheard some players, and fans, muttering that they were going to get shutout again. So, as a young, inexperienced, "bleeding heart", official, I decided that they were not going to get shutout in my game. I put some players on the foul line after some slightly less than incidental contact. After missing a few foul shots, including some in which I ignored some slight going over the line by the shooter, they finally scored a point, and everyone in the gym cheered. I was happy. My good work was done. But we still had a six minute period to play. In that last period, the slightly better team suddenly couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the beach. The horrible team started making some lucky shots, from farther away than where the three point arc is today. I looked up at the clock, and with a minute to go, the score was 12-8, the horrible team had a chance to win this game. That last minute seemed like an eternity, but the final score was 12-8, the better team won, as it should have. I will never, I mean, never, try prevent a shutout ever again. That's not my job as an official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This reminds me of a game that I did very early in my career. It was a fifth, and sixth grade, Catholic school, girls game, way back when Title IX hadn't fully kicked in yet, and girls were just starting to play competitive basketball. One team was horrible, and the other team was a little bit better. Near the end of the third period, the horrible team was losing 12-0. I overheard some players, and fans, muttering that they were going to get shutout again. So, as a young, inexperienced, "bleeding heart", official, I decided that they were not going to get shutout in my game. I put some players on the foul line after some slightly less than incidental contact. After missing a few foul shots, including some in which I ignored some slight going over the line by the shooter, they finally scored a point, and everyone in the gym cheered. I was happy. My good work was done. But we still had a six minute period to play. In that last period, the slightly better team suddenly couldn't throw the ball in the ocean from the beach. The horrible team started making some lucky shots, from farther away than where the three point arc is today. I looked up at the clock, and with a minute to go, the score was 12-8, the horrible team had a chance to win this game. That last minute seemed like an eternity, but the final score was 12-8, the better team won, as it should have. I will never, I mean, never, try prevent a shutout ever again. That's not my job as an official.
Billy...I know and have worked games with both the guys that did my game....that's what's so funny for me...All the refs...I know em personally!

I threw my comment in as a razz on them. Both guys are good guys and were really helpful in "teaching" aspect...getting them lined up right for FTs, getting them out of the back court (no backcourt D)...stuff like that.

The team we played was in their first game also. It doesn't hurt that our PG (Asst. Coach's daughter) played up 2 grade levels in AAU last year. She jumps the other teams PG after they cross half court and she must have had about 10 steals yesterday that led to at least 8 or 10 points.