The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error: Xavier/Drake Game

A1 shot a long 3. A2 rebounded it and put it in.
B1 comes down the court and shoots. Shot was no good. B2 is called for a foul on the rebound. Team A is NOT in the bonus.
TV timeout.

When they return the officials are looking to see if A2 got his shot off in time. The 35-second clock reset even though A1's shot did not hit the rim.

Resolution:

Remove the points given to A2.
Remove the foul on B2.
Team B inbounded the ball under A's basket.

Pulled out the rulebook and it doesn't seem like B2 should have had his foul wiped out.

Thoughts?
Old Sun Nov 25, 2012, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I agree.

edit: I realize my answer was ambiguous. I agree with you, assuming that B's shot hit the rim -- it's now a "new" shot clock period and it's too late to correct.

If B's shot didn't hit the rim, then I think I agree with the officials. "Any activity after the mistake or malfunction has been committed and until it has been rectified shall be cancelled, excluding a flagrant 1 or 2 personal foul or any technical foul."

Of course, one could argue that as soon as B inbounded the ball, that was the "new" shot clock period and it would be too late to correct.

I've always found this section to be confusing, but since I never work games with a monitor, I never really tried to understand it anyway.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Nov 26, 2012 at 11:53am.