The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed, but Billy wanted to use it without a timeout.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Agreed, but Billy wanted to use it without a timeout.
Ahhh ... I see. Then tell Billy to stop it.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

It seems 10.1.5c says the same, just no timeout is mentioned and neither is a violation.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 02:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
Ahhh ... I see. Then tell Billy to stop it.
We've tried.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even if it's not after an intermission, or a timeout? If it is not after a timeout, don't we just use the resumption of pay procedure, put the ball at the disposal of the free thrower, and then just let the chips fall where they may?
After a TO (or intermission -- but I can't figure out how you'd have FTs with the lane filled after an intermission) -- use the resumption of play procedure if the lower spaces aren't filled.

Not after a TO -- lower spaces must be filled or it's a T.

(The same is true for the FT shooter.)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 09:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If At First You Don't Succeed ...

Quote:
We've tried.
Shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Nov 20, 2012, 10:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Shut up.
Ok, this made me actually laugh out L.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 09:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Was That Masked Forum Member ???

Quote:
Ok, this made me actually laugh out L.
Then my work here is done. Hi-yo Silver! Away!
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
After a TO (or intermission -- but I can't figure out how you'd have FTs with the lane filled after an intermission) -- use the resumption of play procedure if the lower spaces aren't filled.

Not after a TO -- lower spaces must be filled or it's a T.

(The same is true for the FT shooter.)
In your second scenario (not after a TO) when would you assess the T? After the shooter is bounced the ball? After he/she takes the first shot? Is it also a violation, in so much that if he/she misses the first shot and THEN the T is called, that the first shot is re-taken, followed by the second, followed by the two shots for the T? Sounds like a healthly penalty for a ref screwup...realizing that we are not giving the T unless we've asked B players to get in the spots, or given a few seconds at least for them to get there.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Sounds like a healthly penalty for a ref screwup...realizing that we are not giving the T unless we've asked B players to get in the spots, or given a few seconds at least for them to get there.
Pretty sure that is not even remotely what he is indicating. If you ask the coach to get 2 players in those spots and he refuses or ignores the request, then the T. For me, this would only happen if I've exhausted all reasonable attempts to get the coach to comply.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Pretty sure that is not even remotely what he is indicating. If you ask the coach to get 2 players in those spots and he refuses or ignores the request, then the T. For me, this would only happen if I've exhausted all reasonable attempts to get the coach to comply.
Exactly. It's a T for delaying the game. So, it has to be called before the ball is given to the shooter (otherwise it isn't delaying the game). Since there isn't any FT attempt, there can't be any violation.

If you call, and report the T, and the coach *still* doesn't send two players to the lower blocks, then it's another T.

Your game has gone terribly wrong by this point.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I get that and I realize all this is preventable, but what I'm really trying to find out is what penalty is there (if any) if it does happen? Suppose it's 2-man jv game with one very inexperienced official administering the free throw and the T (guy with some years exp) has turned away for a second to speak with A HC, only to look back at free throw area in time to see A1 getting ready to let the first shot go and notices B has none or only one of the lower spaces occupied. Team A HC thinks he's knows this rule and is up yelling for a violation....T complies and lets A1 have another (first) shot...much to the protest now of B HC. Right or wrong handling of play?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If you call, and report the T, and the coach *still* doesn't send two players to the lower blocks, then it's another T.
Waitaminute. Doesn't the T now put you in a situation where the free throws are shot with the lane cleared?
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpie View Post
Waitaminute. Doesn't the T now put you in a situation where the free throws are shot with the lane cleared?
Yes. Good point.
Old Wed Nov 21, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

What a can of worms

Jeez...I'm beginning to regret being the OP on this, what I thought was, relatively insignificant play As this holiday rolls closer, I'm just thankful that the finer game of basketball has so many debateable points. Happy Turkey Day...one and all