The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 07:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut (NFHS) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
In the NCAA a player lying prone on the floor is responsible for contact with a ball handler.
Can the NFHS view on this be discussed, i.e., player trips and is lying, stationary, on the floor. Opponent trips over the prone player. If the "tripped" player is put at a disadvantage, is there a foul?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

In high school, this is a blocking foul on the person lying on the floor. The issue was discussed in our refresher meeting last night.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
In high school, this is a blocking foul on the person lying on the floor. The issue was discussed in our refresher meeting last night.
...do you think that is the interp for all High School locations across the nation?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you sure? According to NFHS ruling? Which rule? ... maybe a local interp.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did NFHS change (or remove) the case play that said this was legal?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Good Points

Good Points...

In my local interp (refresher test) meeting, our state interpreter said it was a foul on the person lying on the floor.

disclaimer: this may / may not apply to all states or all interps of this play.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

This is a thread where Jurassic is needed. He spoke on this subject many times
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Has the player that is lying on the floor established legal guarding position?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Yes he does have LGP, at least according to NFHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
Has the player that is lying on the floor established legal guarding position?
I believe there was an official interp that came out years ago. I can't find it but the official interp is that the prone player does have LGP. I disagree with their logic but it is what it is. I also believe that the interp gave some indication that time was a factor. In other words the prone player couldn't stay there forever. The interp may have used the phrase "temporarily" or something to that effect. When I read it it gave me the idea that the player was granted LGP temporarily while on the floor but that they need to make an effort to get up in a somewhat quick fashion. I know I'm being somewhat vague but I'm going on memory. I'll see if I can't find it.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Other discussion

On The Floor Is The Appropriate Description Here ...
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:42am
Often wrong never n doubt

If this is a foul should Coachs then be teaching their players that after a player ends on the floor to try to run past them and "trip"?

Seems to me that a player on the floor is entitled to that spot but I am not sure.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
I believe there was an official interp that came out years ago. I can't find it but the official interp is that the prone player does have LGP. I disagree with their logic but it is what it is. I also believe that the interp gave some indication that time was a factor. In other words the prone player couldn't stay there forever. The interp may have used the phrase "temporarily" or something to that effect. When I read it it gave me the idea that the player was granted LGP temporarily while on the floor but that they need to make an effort to get up in a somewhat quick fashion. I know I'm being somewhat vague but I'm going on memory. I'll see if I can't find it.
From what I remember the issue is not one of LGP. A player who is down on the floor is still entitled to that spot. (high school not NCAA) If the player with the ball falls over the down player we would most likely have a travel. If the down player starts to roll, get up, raises an arm or leg and this causes the contact then it is a block. Instances not involving the ball most likely are incidental.

Last edited by billyu2; Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:06pm.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
From what I remember the issue is not one of LGP. A player who is down on the floor is still entitled to that spot. (high school not NCAA) If the player with the ball falls over the down player we would most likely have a travel. If the down player starts to roll, get up, raises an arm or leg and this causes the contact then it is a block. Instances not involving the ball most likely are incidental.
That's also how I remember it -- and the case was removed without comment 6 years ago (or so).

Not that this should matter (as a general statement), but you'll probably get less grief from either coach calling this a foul than calling it a travel (assuming that the player with the ball has "almost no time" to avoid the contact)
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Correct. It has absolutely nothing to do with LGP. The player doesn't have LGP and doesn't need LGP. It is based on the fact that player is a stationary and in the spot first. If they move and cause contact, they have fouled for that very reason...they don't have LGP....but if they don't move, they don't need it.
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good Points...

In my local interp (refresher test) meeting, our state interpreter said it was a foul on the person lying on the floor.

disclaimer: this may / may not apply to all states or all interps of this play.
Your local interpreter is ruling directly opposite of what the NFHS has said regarding this play.