The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Confused In Connecticut (NFHS) ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92921-confused-connecticut-nfhs.html)

BillyMac Thu Nov 15, 2012 07:42am

Confused In Connecticut (NFHS) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 862151)
In the NCAA a player lying prone on the floor is responsible for contact with a ball handler.

Can the NFHS view on this be discussed, i.e., player trips and is lying, stationary, on the floor. Opponent trips over the prone player. If the "tripped" player is put at a disadvantage, is there a foul?

gslefeb Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:29am

In high school, this is a blocking foul on the person lying on the floor. The issue was discussed in our refresher meeting last night.

RookieDude Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 862202)
In high school, this is a blocking foul on the person lying on the floor. The issue was discussed in our refresher meeting last night.

...do you think that is the interp for all High School locations across the nation?

PG_Ref Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:42am

Quote:

Are you sure? According to NFHS ruling? Which rule? ... maybe a local interp.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:48am

Quote:

Did NFHS change (or remove) the case play that said this was legal?

gslefeb Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:51am

Good Points

Good Points...

In my local interp (refresher test) meeting, our state interpreter said it was a foul on the person lying on the floor.

disclaimer: this may / may not apply to all states or all interps of this play.

Raymond Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:06am

This is a thread where Jurassic is needed. He spoke on this subject many times

BEAREF Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:09am

Has the player that is lying on the floor established legal guarding position?

rwest Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:18am

Yes he does have LGP, at least according to NFHS

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 862214)
Has the player that is lying on the floor established legal guarding position?

I believe there was an official interp that came out years ago. I can't find it but the official interp is that the prone player does have LGP. I disagree with their logic but it is what it is. I also believe that the interp gave some indication that time was a factor. In other words the prone player couldn't stay there forever. The interp may have used the phrase "temporarily" or something to that effect. When I read it it gave me the idea that the player was granted LGP temporarily while on the floor but that they need to make an effort to get up in a somewhat quick fashion. I know I'm being somewhat vague but I'm going on memory. I'll see if I can't find it.

gslefeb Thu Nov 15, 2012 09:24am

Other discussion

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tion-here.html

jeremy341a Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42am

If this is a foul should Coachs then be teaching their players that after a player ends on the floor to try to run past them and "trip"?

Seems to me that a player on the floor is entitled to that spot but I am not sure.

billyu2 Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest (Post 862217)
I believe there was an official interp that came out years ago. I can't find it but the official interp is that the prone player does have LGP. I disagree with their logic but it is what it is. I also believe that the interp gave some indication that time was a factor. In other words the prone player couldn't stay there forever. The interp may have used the phrase "temporarily" or something to that effect. When I read it it gave me the idea that the player was granted LGP temporarily while on the floor but that they need to make an effort to get up in a somewhat quick fashion. I know I'm being somewhat vague but I'm going on memory. I'll see if I can't find it.

From what I remember the issue is not one of LGP. A player who is down on the floor is still entitled to that spot. (high school not NCAA) If the player with the ball falls over the down player we would most likely have a travel. If the down player starts to roll, get up, raises an arm or leg and this causes the contact then it is a block. Instances not involving the ball most likely are incidental.

bob jenkins Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 862248)
From what I remember the issue is not one of LGP. A player who is down on the floor is still entitled to that spot. (high school not NCAA) If the player with the ball falls over the down player we would most likely have a travel. If the down player starts to roll, get up, raises an arm or leg and this causes the contact then it is a block. Instances not involving the ball most likely are incidental.

That's also how I remember it -- and the case was removed without comment 6 years ago (or so).

Not that this should matter (as a general statement), but you'll probably get less grief from either coach calling this a foul than calling it a travel (assuming that the player with the ball has "almost no time" to avoid the contact)

Camron Rust Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 862248)

Correct. It has absolutely nothing to do with LGP. The player doesn't have LGP and doesn't need LGP. It is based on the fact that player is a stationary and in the spot first. If they move and cause contact, they have fouled for that very reason...they don't have LGP....but if they don't move, they don't need it.

Camron Rust Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 862209)
Good Points...

In my local interp (refresher test) meeting, our state interpreter said it was a foul on the person lying on the floor.

disclaimer: this may / may not apply to all states or all interps of this play.

Your local interpreter is ruling directly opposite of what the NFHS has said regarding this play.