The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is vastly different from an elbow extended away from the body while screening.
...by "vastly" do you mean it is a "common foul", because of the illegal screen, as opposed to an "intentional foul" because of the "moving elbows"?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't know where RD is located, but what is in red must come from one of his local or state office instructors. It is NOT how my area is interpreting this.
Pivoting involves moving the arms and elbows. That creates a greater danger to an opponent. This is vastly different from an elbow extended away from the body while screening.
I think by "stationary", they mean in relative to the body/hip rotation, not actually stationary.

Allowing for a common for for normal movement that happens to result in contact with the elbow is the right thing IMO. The player, holding the arms in a normal stance and pivoting shouldn't be liable for an intentional foul just because the contact is on the elbow.
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 07:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The player, holding the arms in a normal stance and pivoting shouldn't be liable for an intentional foul just because the contact is on the elbow.
I'm not so sure that that was the NFHS's intent. They seem to want to step up the anti-concussion movement. Points of Emphasis seem to lack the "power" of rule changes, or casebook plays, so mark me down as confused.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't know where RD is located, but what is in red must come from one of his local or state office instructors. It is NOT how my area is interpreting this.
In our state rules interpretation meeting, we were told pretty much the same thing as RD was told. I guess the distinction they are trying to make with a pivoting/"stationary" elbow is that the player is not technically "swinging" the arm(s)/elbow(s).
Old Fri Nov 09, 2012, 10:14am
Often wrong never n doubt

In my rules meeting in Central MO we were informed that even when pivoting if the elbow strikes above the shoulder it is an intentional foul because the elbow is moving.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
...Nevada...only been on this forum for 11+ years...guess I have kept a pretty low profile...maybe I need my state in my username...WashingtonDude

...rockyroad, can you help me with this...surely you have taken the online clinic and have seen this slide.?.
I can confirm Colorado is interpreting it the same as Washington. Our state clinic was this morning, and it sure looked like an NFHS slide.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
In our state rules interpretation meeting, we were told pretty much the same thing as RD was told. I guess the distinction they are trying to make with a pivoting/"stationary" elbow is that the player is not technically "swinging" the arm(s)/elbow(s).
Correct that it isn't swinging. But I disagree that it's stationary -- it's moving.

Too many try to have "two states" instead of "three".

But, if that's what Washington (and the NFHS) want, ....
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think by "stationary", they mean in relative to the body/hip rotation, not actually stationary.

Allowing for a common for for normal movement that happens to result in contact with the elbow is the right thing IMO. The player, holding the arms in a normal stance and pivoting shouldn't be liable for an intentional foul just because the contact is on the elbow.
I agree, Camron. That's just how it was explained to us at our state rules interpreter's meeting.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is that what the clinic says? For contact above the shoulders? (Just asking, because I don't watch it -- we get our own.)

From the POES:

Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties:
1) contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2) An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3) A moving elbow that is excessive and be either an intentional foul or a flagrant personal foul.

Of those, only the second applies to your play. So, that leaves options A (if the contact is legal because "it's a basketball move") and C (if the contact isn't)
...I just took our State Test...if you answered A or C...you would be incorrect.

Again, here is the question:

A1 rebounds a missed try, chins the ball with elbows sticking out. A1 pivots and contacts B1 in the head with their elbow.
A. No call A1 is making a basketball move
B. Team Control foul on A1
C. Intentional foul on A1
D. Flagrant foul on A1

...also your statement of "recover <> catches" would have also been incorrect in regards to the following question...

Again, here is this question:

Player A1, in his/her frontcourt, attempts a pass to teammate A2. While the pass is in the air, B2 tips the pass towards A's backcourt. A4 recovers the tipped pass in A's backcourt. This is a backcourt violation on A; give the ball to team B for a throw in nearest the spot of the violation.

A. True
B. False

Bob...not trying to be a smart #$% just showing that even great officials such as yourself can read these questions and interps, (which are not very well written IMO) and come up with totally different answers than others.

BTW...haven't heard from Nevada lately...has he changed his mind on Washington's interp of what a "stationary elbow" is?

Apparently even States have different ideas of the way certain rules should be interpreted.
Richland, WA
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
BTW...haven't heard from Nevada lately...has he changed his mind on Washington's interp of what a "stationary elbow" is?

Apparently even States have different ideas of the way certain rules should be interpreted.
I didn't post because Bob wrote my response for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct that it isn't swinging. But I disagree that it's stationary -- it's moving.

But, if that's what Washington (and the NFHS) want, ....
So the wording is poor if the writers wanted the pivoting contact to fall within category 1 and not category 2.

From the POES:

3) A moving elbow that is excessive and be either an intentional foul or a flagrant personal foul.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So the wording is poor if the writers wanted the pivoting contact to fall within category 1 and not category 2.

From the POES:

...I guess that is why Washington "clarified" that a "pivoting elbow" (when the elbow moves with the hip) is considered a "stationary elbow".
Category 1

...an elbow "in movement" is an "elbow moving faster than the hip".(but not excessive)
Category 2

... a "moving elbow that is excessive".
Category 3
Richland, WA