The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs question

If I were to ask a question in regards to a player RECOVERING A TIPPED PASS IN THE BACKCOURT...should I assume the recovered pass hit the backcourt floor first or the tipped pass was caught in the air?

I know from all the discussion here that an interp in 2007-2008 came out stating that a tipped pass in A's frontcourt by B and then CAUGHT by A4 would be a backcourt violation. How are we to determine the ball status when the question simply says "A4 recovers the tipped pass in A's backcourt"?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:23pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
If I were to ask a question in regards to a player RECOVERING A TIPPED PASS IN THE BACKCOURT...should I assume the recovered pass hit the backcourt floor first or the tipped pass was caught in the air?

I know from all the discussion here that an interp in 2007-2008 came out stating that a tipped pass in A's frontcourt by B and then CAUGHT by A4 would be a backcourt violation. How are we to determine the ball status when the question simply says "A4 recovers the tipped pass in A's backcourt"?
I'm assuming that A has TC in the FC, and a pass from A1 to A2 is tipped by B causing the ball to enter the BC. (Am I right?)

Quite frankly, if it says that, then there is not enough information, solely because of that interpretation that you mentioned.

However, if I had to assume that they think their question does provide all the information, then what's more likely: they they wish to quiz you on (a) a challengeable interpretation from years ago, or (b) that the ball did contact the BC before A4 recovered and is this a BC violation and/or when does the BC count re-start.

I think (b) is the answer.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Nov 08, 2012 at 02:26pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I'm assuming that A has TC in the FC, and a pass from A1 to A2 is tipped by B causing the ball to enter the BC. (Am I right?)
Yes...IMO not enough information to answer this question correctly.

...and no where in the question does it state that "B CAUSED THE BALL TO ENTER THE BC".
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Thu Nov 08, 2012 at 02:34pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

In general "recovers" <> "catches"
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In general "recovers" <> "catches"
gotcha...then "in general" this would be a violation...

btw...2 responses 2 different answers.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I think the statement "A recovers in the backcourt" means the ball already had backcourt status prior to A touching in the ball in the backcourt.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Since we are asking "hypothetical" questions here..

Is there enough information in the following question to answer it correctily...and if you think so, what would you answer?

A1 rebounds a missed try, chins the ball with elbows sticking out. A1 pivots and contacts B1 in the head with their elbow.
A. No call A1 is making a basketball move
B. Team Control foul on A1
C. Intentional foul on A1
D. Flagrant foul on A1

IOW...using the NFHS on-line clinic which states that contact caused by a player with the ball and elbows extended, PIVOTING, can be either a common foul or incidental contact. (Not excessively swinging elbows, just pivoting)
...and using Rule 9-13
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Since we are asking "hypothetical" questions here..

Is there enough information in the following question to answer it correctily...and if you think so, what would you answer?

A1 rebounds a missed try, chins the ball with elbows sticking out. A1 pivots and contacts B1 in the head with their elbow.
A. No call A1 is making a basketball move
B. Team Control foul on A1
C. Intentional foul on A1
D. Flagrant foul on A1

IOW...using the NFHS on-line clinic which states that contact caused by a player with the ball and elbows extended, PIVOTING, can be either a common foul or incidental contact. (Not excessively swinging elbows, just pivoting)
...and using Rule 9-13
C.

To call a flagrant foul requires intent to injure, etc. None of that is mentioned here.

An intentional foul is a foul to stop the clock, prevent opponent's obvious advantageous position, or cause excessive contact. The only one could be excessive contact, but should be used carefully. If there's a POE that says this is excessive, it is excessive. It's adding a category for that foul though.

It certainly isn't a normal basketball move to invade an opponent's space with your elbow and make contact.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Nov 08, 2012 at 03:21pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
gotcha...then "in general" this would be a violation...

btw...2 responses 2 different answers.
I think Juggling Referee and I had the same answer, but since he has the canadian ruling, I might be wrong.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...and using Rule 9-13
Is that what the clinic says? For contact above the shoulders? (Just asking, because I don't watch it -- we get our own.)

From the POES:

Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties:
1) contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2) An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3) A moving elbow that is excessive and be either an intentional foul or a flagrant personal foul.

Of those, only the second applies to your play. So, that leaves options A (if the contact is legal because "it's a basketball move") and C (if the contact isn't)
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Is that what the clinic says? For contact above the shoulders? (Just asking, because I don't watch it -- we get our own.)

From the POES:

Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties:
1) contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.
2) An elbow in movement but not excessive should be an intentional foul.
3) A moving elbow that is excessive and be either an intentional foul or a flagrant personal foul.

Of those, only the second applies to your play. So, that leaves options A (if the contact is legal because "it's a basketball move") and C (if the contact isn't)
Bob...I believe a "stationary elbow" could be an elbow attacted to a body pivoting...the elbow is not moving faster than the body.

Am I wrong in interpreting it that way? Does it matter that it is above the shoulders? (It almost sounds as though it does...except in the clinic I saw, it had ABOVE SHOULDERS as a tilte with a statement saying it could be incidental or a common foul (PC)...maybe I'm misreading the clinic slide.

I usually call a PC foul in the question I posted....or could be incidental...all of this hinges on the "stationary elbow" definition IMO.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I found the Clinic Slide which I had ran a copy of:

CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS

__________________________________________________ ____________

a. A player shall not swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent.

b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties:

1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.

An elbow is stationary when a player pivots but does not swing the elbows (when the elbow moves with the hip)

2. An elbow in movement (when the elbows move faster than the hip) but not excessive should be an intentional foul.

3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 06:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When Is Stationary Not Stationary ???

Quote:
An elbow is stationary when a player pivots but does not swing the elbows (when the elbow moves with the hip)
I guess that their definition of stationary is different than mine. Let's see, "the elbow moves", but it's stationary? Shows the difference between English and Basketballese.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 08, 2012 at 06:46pm.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I found the Clinic Slide which I had ran a copy of:

CONTACT ABOVE THE SHOULDERS

__________________________________________________ ____________

a. A player shall not swing his/her arms(s) or elbow(s) even without contacting an opponent.

b. Examples of illegal contact above the shoulders and resulting penalties:

1. Contact with a stationary elbow may be incidental or a common foul.

2. An elbow in movement (when the elbows move faster than the hip) but not excessive should be an intentional foul.

3. A moving elbow that is excessive can be either an intentional foul or flagrant personal foul.
Don't know where RD is located, but what is in red must come from one of his local or state office instructors. It is NOT how my area is interpreting this.
Pivoting involves moving the arms and elbows. That creates a greater danger to an opponent. This is vastly different from an elbow extended away from the body while screening.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Don't know where RD is located, but what is in red must come from one of his local or state office instructors. It is NOT how my area is interpreting this.
Pivoting involves moving the arms and elbows. That creates a greater danger to an opponent. This is vastly different from an elbow extended away from the body while screening.
...Nevada...only been on this forum for 11+ years...guess I have kept a pretty low profile...maybe I need my state in my username...WashingtonDude

...rockyroad, can you help me with this...surely you have taken the online clinic and have seen this slide.?.
Richland, WA