The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Exam Time! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92790-exam-time.html)

Nevadaref Sat Nov 10, 2012 05:45am

There is one question on the nfhs part 1 exam for which the key is incorrect.
Good thing too. Makes it easy to see who cheats.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 861601)
There is one question on the nfhs part 1 exam for which the key is incorrect.
Good thing too. Makes it easy to see who cheats.

Was it this question?

"If B1 commits an intentional foul during the jump ball to start the game, alternating-possession control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball. "

I got a 94%. One question I just marked incorrectly and one honestly didn't know the rule. But this one. :mad:

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867965)
Was it this question?

"If B1 commits an intentional foul during the jump ball to start the game, alternating-possession control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball. "

I got a 94%. One question I just marked incorrectly and one honestly didn't know the rule. But this one. :mad:

What was the answer key for that one? The question seems fair.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 867967)
What was the answer key for that one? The question seems fair.

The question is definitely legit.

I marked it as "True" and got it Incorrect.

Rule 4-3-3b is the reference.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867970)
The question is definitely legit.

I marked it as "True" and got it Incorrect.

Rule 4-3-3b is the reference.

If there's no on on the FT lane (as in the OP), then the arrow is set when the throw-in starts, not when the FT starts.

You could have players on the FT lane if a common foul was committed during the jump ball at the start of an extra period. In this instance, the arrow would be set when the FT started.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 867974)
If there's no on on the FT lane (as in the OP), then the arrow is set when the throw-in starts, not when the FT starts.

OK, I see it now. Thanks

Indianaref Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:00am

Q. If a player is directed to leave the game for excessive blood on the uniform, the blood can be wiped off and the player may re-enter at the first opportunity.

This question is a little tricky, am I thinking correctly that injured "blood" player can not re-enter at the "first" opportunity, however, can re-enter at the "next".

SAJ Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867965)
Was it this question?

We got the "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Indianaref Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 868007)
We got the "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Yes, this was completely wrong as was the Q on "awarded goal"

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 868007)

Oh wait, that's one I got wrong. I guess when I took the test I noticed the colon ( : ) and on the review I read it as a comma (,) and thought I just mis-marked it.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 868056)
Oh wait, that's one I got wrong. I guess when I took the test I noticed the colon ( : ) and on the review I read it as a comma (,) and thought I just mis-marked it.

That was the most horribly written question I think I've seen. I know what colors are permitted but I have no idea what exactly they are trying to ask. Usually, a colon that the list that follows are examples of what is mentioned before the list, not part of a series of options. As written, it is false. If you change the colon to a comma, it becomes true. There is no way that any rules test question should depend on the punctuation used.

OKREF Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:06pm

3-5-4

A. Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

The test said this. "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Same dominant color of team jersey makes the question false.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 868082)
3-5-4

A. Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

The test said this. "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Same dominant color of team jersey makes the question false.

I agree that's what they were trying to ask. The format of the question made it not quite clear (but I think would be false either way).