The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Exam Time! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92790-exam-time.html)

grunewar Sun Oct 28, 2012 08:49am

Exam Time!

Well, yesterday we had our first meeting of the season, discussed the changes and POE's, association evaluation procedures, and reviewed some film. Then, it was home to view the annual on-line state clinic and take my test.

My exam was LOADED with questions on substitutions, in-bounding procedures, and time outs. Several questions on court setup and uniform violations too.....

I'm happy to report that based on experience, reading the rules, and this forum I believe the exam gets easier annually. Seems I can breeze through a great many more questions than I used to.

Now, let's get the season going!

Any test comments? (without of course asking for answers!) :rolleyes:

Raymond Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21am

Did my test back on Monday or Tuesday. Got a 94%. Based on the rules it said I needed to look up I'm quite sure at least 2 of the ones I got wrong just from rushing and not reading question & answer thoroughly.

Ran the VHSL clinic in the background the next night. At least 50% of that clinic is not something we officials need to sit through.

grunewar Sun Oct 28, 2012 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 860381)
Ran the VHSL clinic in the background the next night. At least 50% of that clinic is not something we officials need to sit through.

Agreed. I thought 1/3 of it was administrative in nature and much of the other stuff was - so what? 89 slides...... :eek:

Lcubed48 Mon Oct 29, 2012 07:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 860394)
Agreed. I thought 1/3 of it was administrative in nature and much of the other stuff was - so what? 89 slides...... :eek:

Agreed. What a snoozer!

Lcubed48 Mon Oct 29, 2012 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 860376)
My exam was LOADED with questions on substitutions, in-bounding procedures, and time outs. Several questions on court setup and uniform violations too.....

Now, let's get the season going!

Mine is too.
What did you answer on questions .... Oh, never mind.
Bring on the season.

Steverz Mon Oct 29, 2012 06:04pm

2012-13 Exam Q&A Online

Here it is. The entire 2012-13 Exam Online with "mostly' correct answers. I think one or two may be off.

* Edited by moderator: APG*

While we don't mind answering a question or two from the test provided a poster spell out his thought process in answering a question, we do not allow the posting of full current versions of test and/or answers.

Steverz Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:04pm

NO Freeom of Speech?

I can now see that "freedom of speech" has nothing to do with your forum.

Rich Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steverz (Post 860805)

Last I checked, the forum is privately owned, therefore "freedom of speech" doesn't really apply.

We don't allow the posting of entire exams or answers. Good officials learn the rules and take the exams themselves.

APG Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:11pm

Quote:

Freedom of speech applies to the government. It doesn't apply to a private forum in which you agreed to the terms and conditions of.

As mentioned, as policy, we don't mind discussing the test...and will even help, as long as it's evident that the poster isn't just coming to the forum to get the answer. What we DON'T allow is the posting of an entire test and answers. All that does is undermine the purpose of the test.

tjones1 Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:14pm

NCAA test was completed last night and I completed my Fed (IHSA) test today at lunch.

The season is upon us!

piranhadawn Wed Oct 31, 2012 04:58pm

same tests for all states

is the test the same for every state? Im in Oklahoma and brand new to officiating. Passed part I, was just wondering since I am assuming Part II is a lot more difficult and I want to prepare.:)

Adam Wed Oct 31, 2012 05:09pm

Quote:

Exactly.

Adam Wed Oct 31, 2012 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by piranhadawn (Post 860813)
is the test the same for every state? Im in Oklahoma and brand new to officiating. Passed part I, was just wondering since I am assuming Part II is a lot more difficult and I want to prepare.:)

The NFHS puts out tests each year. As does IAABO. Most states use one or the other, some states have a bank of questions they use each year.

Rich Wed Oct 31, 2012 07:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by piranhadawn (Post 860813)

Part II is the same degree of difficulty as Part I. You may see some of the same questions, actually.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 31, 2012 07:56pm

Quote:

Why should it? (Suggestion, go read the Constitution or your 7th grade history/civics textbook to learn what it really means).

IREFU2 Thu Nov 01, 2012 02:52pm

Both Test completed, just not submitted. I will probably do the VHSL Clinic sometime Saturday while sipping on some hot coffee!!!

Lcubed48 Fri Nov 02, 2012 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 860881)
Both Test completed, just not submitted. I will probably do the VHSL Clinic sometime Saturday while sipping on some hot coffee!!!

Better make the coffee strong as well as hot! ;)

bowlingref Fri Nov 02, 2012 09:23am

45 mintes of the VHSL on line state meeting is brutal.

Raymond Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingref (Post 860942)
45 mintes of the VHSL on line state meeting is brutal.

At least half of that clinic really is a waste of our time as officials. Previously, when clinics were in-person, coaches and officials attended the same clinics so there was no choice but to put all the info together. But now that it is on-line they (meaning Joyce Sisson) really needs to tailor separate presentations to coaches and officials.

Raymond Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 860810)
NCAA test was completed last night and I completed my Fed (IHSA) test today at lunch.

The season is upon us!

When I completed my NCAA test it graded me with a 98%. I just went back into the testing site and now it states I scored 100%. :cool: Must be a bad question on the test. :confused:

grunewar Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13am

Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 861197)
When I completed my NCAA test it graded me with a 98%. I just went back into the testing site and now it states I scored 100%. :cool: Must be a bad question on the test. :confused:

....and for a reward, you can go back and re-watch the VHSL Annual Rules Clinic again! ;)

A lot of complaints (whining) from VA. No other states have similar issues?

Freddy Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:11pm

Other Side of the Coin

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 860946)
At least half of that clinic really is a waste of our time as officials. Previously, when clinics were in-person, coaches and officials attended the same clinics so there was no choice but to put all the info together. But now that it is on-line they (meaning Joyce Sisson) really needs to tailor separate presentations to coaches and officials.

Our state has a similar pre-season online clinic. Required for AD's, coaches, and officials. Yes, there's a lot in it that applies to AD's and coaches more than to officials, what some around here consider a waste of time. I like it because there is content in it that we need to know and it's gratifying to me that the coaches and AD's are required to see and hear the same things and know that we are . And my life isn't so much in demand that I can't afford ten or fifteen minutes to become aware of things that they are informed of and are required to know. Helps me understand their side of it and they, hopefully understand our side of it.

Raymond Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 861204)
... And my life isn't so much in demand that I can't afford ten or fifteen minutes to become aware of things that they are informed of and are required to know. Helps me understand their side of it and they, hopefully understand our side of it.

Ours is 41 minutes with 89 slides. And you must click next after each slide, there is no auto-play.

Raymond Tue Nov 06, 2012 01:50pm

NCAA extended testing until November 27th (originally Nov 9th) due to Sandy.

APG Fri Nov 09, 2012 05:40pm

Just finished the test...got a 98. Probably missed the one question due to not reading the question correctly.

As to the VHSL online rules clinic, that's 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back. And much of it was administrative stuff that I as an official don't give a damn about. I will say, according to the information from the clinic, players and coaches in boys soccer are out-lapping the competition when it comes to ejections. :eek:

Stat-Man Fri Nov 09, 2012 06:37pm

I took the MHSAA exam for the heck of it and got a passing score of 86% (26 of 30)

I was surprised that I got the blarge question wrong. Apparently, one doesn't cancel the basket and resume with an AP throw in.

At least I got the question about 3-person mechanics right.

APG Fri Nov 09, 2012 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 861570)
I took the MHSAA exam for the heck of it and got a passing score of 86% (26 of 30)

I was surprised that I got the blarge question wrong. Apparently, one doesn't cancel the basket and resume with an AP throw in.

At least I got the question about 3-person mechanics right.

All double fouls are POI ;)

Freddy Fri Nov 09, 2012 07:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 861563)
As to the VHSL online rules clinic, that's 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back . . .

Since you chose to take this during the same week as the time changed ("...fall backward"), heck, considering the extra hour of sleep you got, you're still 20 minutes to the good! :cool:

Adam Fri Nov 09, 2012 07:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 861571)
All double fouls are POI ;)

And the basket could count.

Stat-Man Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 861573)
And the basket could count.

I should have studied Case 4.19.8 Sit C better. But sometimes, missed questions are better learning experiences than getting questions right. :)

Nevadaref Sat Nov 10, 2012 05:45am

There is one question on the nfhs part 1 exam for which the key is incorrect.
Good thing too. Makes it easy to see who cheats.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 861601)
There is one question on the nfhs part 1 exam for which the key is incorrect.
Good thing too. Makes it easy to see who cheats.

Was it this question?

"If B1 commits an intentional foul during the jump ball to start the game, alternating-possession control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball. "

I got a 94%. One question I just marked incorrectly and one honestly didn't know the rule. But this one. :mad:

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867965)
Was it this question?

"If B1 commits an intentional foul during the jump ball to start the game, alternating-possession control is established when free thrower A1 is handed the ball. "

I got a 94%. One question I just marked incorrectly and one honestly didn't know the rule. But this one. :mad:

What was the answer key for that one? The question seems fair.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 867967)
What was the answer key for that one? The question seems fair.

The question is definitely legit.

I marked it as "True" and got it Incorrect.

Rule 4-3-3b is the reference.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867970)
The question is definitely legit.

I marked it as "True" and got it Incorrect.

Rule 4-3-3b is the reference.

If there's no on on the FT lane (as in the OP), then the arrow is set when the throw-in starts, not when the FT starts.

You could have players on the FT lane if a common foul was committed during the jump ball at the start of an extra period. In this instance, the arrow would be set when the FT started.

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 867974)
If there's no on on the FT lane (as in the OP), then the arrow is set when the throw-in starts, not when the FT starts.

OK, I see it now. Thanks

Indianaref Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:00am

Q. If a player is directed to leave the game for excessive blood on the uniform, the blood can be wiped off and the player may re-enter at the first opportunity.

This question is a little tricky, am I thinking correctly that injured "blood" player can not re-enter at the "first" opportunity, however, can re-enter at the "next".

SAJ Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 867965)
Was it this question?

We got the "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Indianaref Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 868007)
We got the "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Yes, this was completely wrong as was the Q on "awarded goal"

Raymond Thu Dec 20, 2012 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 868007)

Oh wait, that's one I got wrong. I guess when I took the test I noticed the colon ( : ) and on the review I read it as a comma (,) and thought I just mis-marked it.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 868056)
Oh wait, that's one I got wrong. I guess when I took the test I noticed the colon ( : ) and on the review I read it as a comma (,) and thought I just mis-marked it.

That was the most horribly written question I think I've seen. I know what colors are permitted but I have no idea what exactly they are trying to ask. Usually, a colon that the list that follows are examples of what is mentioned before the list, not part of a series of options. As written, it is false. If you change the colon to a comma, it becomes true. There is no way that any rules test question should depend on the punctuation used.

OKREF Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:06pm

3-5-4

A. Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

The test said this. "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Same dominant color of team jersey makes the question false.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 20, 2012 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 868082)
3-5-4

A. Headbands and wristbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same color for each item and all participants.

The test said this. "Headbands and wristbands must be the same dominant color of the team jersey: white, black or beige." question tossed. Answer key was marked as True.

Same dominant color of team jersey makes the question false.

I agree that's what they were trying to ask. The format of the question made it not quite clear (but I think would be false either way).