The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:40am
Often wrong never n doubt

when to shoot?

If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied. If the score is not tied, the free throws are administered unless the outcome of the game will not be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been a part of the fourth quarter. In this case, if any overtime period is necessary, it will start with a jump ball. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over
to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw. (R5-S6-A4)

Am I reading the casebook correctly when I read if they score is tied then you don't shoot the freethrows until the overtime period but if the score isn't tied then you shoot the freethrows right then, assuming it can change the outcome of the game.

So if B1 receives a techinical after the ball is dead and the score is tied then A doesn't get to shoot until the start of the overtime and therefore can not win in regulation.

However if the score is not tied say team A is down by a point then they do get to shoot the freethrows and possibly win in regulation?

Is this true or am I reading this wrong?
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

You are reading it correctly.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:58am

I thought so, so if team A has a lights out free throw shooter it is almost better for them to be behind 1 point then be tied. It is slighly more risk as he may miss both but a great chance to win without overtime.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I thought so, so if team A has a lights out free throw shooter it is almost better for them to be behind 1 point then be tied. It is slighly more risk as he may miss both but a great chance to win without overtime.
Better to not get T'd up after a game that you're only leading by 1 or 2.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Better to not get T'd up after a game that you're only leading by 1 or 2.
I agree completely, just thought it was insteresting situation when it is almost better to be losing than tied.
Old Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I agree completely, just thought it was insteresting situation when it is almost better to be losing than tied.
the logical reason for the rule you are trying to understand is simple:

Scenario 1: if the score is not tied, one team is the winner. you HAVE adminster penalty to determine the final result.

Scenario 2: if score is tied, you play the overtime. the penalty occurred AFTER the horn sounded; which means anything that happened occured in the overtime period. You have to penalize the infraction in the same quarter in which it occurred.