The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I Think They Teach This (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92593-i-think-they-teach.html)

Adam Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26am

I Think They Teach This

Opening tip, I'm R, and right after I announce direction and color, I hear the U, "Hold your spots."

:rolleyes:

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:45am

Who You Gonna Call ??? Not The Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 857410)
Opening tip, I'm R, and right after I announce direction and color, I hear the U, "Hold your spots."

The Mythbusters don't deal with ridiculous myths like this.

Welpe Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55am

Elucidate for me what is wrong with that.

Adam Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09pm

It's like telling everyone to go behind the half court line for technical foul free throws.

tref Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857414)

Other than it not being a rule?

Rich Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14pm

I got bigger nits to pick with many officials, though.

rockyroad Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857414)

ART. 2 . . . When the official is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers
shall not:
a. Move onto the center restraining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

So telling everyone to "hold their spots" is not supported by rule. If they are on the circle, they can't move to another spot, but they can move their feet around if they want to...if they aren't, they can wander all over the court if they want to.

Adam Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 857418)
I got bigger nits to pick with many officials, though.

I agree. I normally don't think twice when I hear it, but this was the first time I've heard the U say it, as if he thought I had forgotten it.

tref Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 857422)
I agree. I normally don't think twice when I hear it, but this was the first time I've heard the U say it, as if he thought I had forgotten it.

I wonder what he would've said had you "forgot" to tell the teams which way they were going :D

Welpe Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 857420)
ART. 2 . . . When the official is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers
shall not:
a. Move onto the center restraining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

So telling everyone to "hold their spots" is not supported by rule. If they are on the circle, they can't move to another spot, but they can move their feet around if they want to...if they aren't, they can wander all over the court if they want to.

As you might have noticed, we were taught to say this (but as the R, not the U). I agree that it doesn't apply to those not on the circle but it does to those on the circle and as I've always understood it, they are who we were communicating with.

I guess I'll drop it but at least I got to use elucidate in a sentence.

Camron Rust Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857427)
As you might have noticed, we were taught to say this (but as the R, not the U). I agree that it doesn't apply to those not on the circle but it does to those on the circle and as I've always understood it, they are who we were communicating with.

I guess I'll drop it but at least I got to use elucidate in a sentence.

No, it actually doesn't.

Those on the circle may leave the circle at any time....no restriction.

The ONLY thing that is restricted is a player moving into a new spot around the circle (which is defined as being within 3 feet) and applies whether they come from elsewhere on the circle or from a position off the circle.

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53pm

Hold Your Spots ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857427)
It does to those on the circle.

What? They can back off the circle anytime they want.

This is why I believe that the NFHS should do away with all jump balls. Many officials, including myself, don't know the jump ball rules as well as we did back in the olden days when we had several jump balls in a game, at three different circles, with a several different players jumping.

Man, I hope that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. doesn't read this post. If he does, I'm sure that he'll chastise me for my opinion. Hopefully he's busy moderating over on the Softball Forum and won't see this. Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., if you do read this, and decide to comment, remember that since the Forum merger with Twitter you are limited to 140 characters.

tref Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 857430)
Those on the circle may leave the circle at any time....no restriction.

IDK why we interpret "onto" as any & all movement for all players...

Had a partner (U) call a violation during my toss because a player in the b/c walked toward his coach :-(

bob jenkins Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:30pm

I used to get (mildly) annoyed by this. Now, i just <strike>assume</strike> pretend that the official who says this is talking to the jumpers -- to whom it does (reasonably) apply.

Welpe Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 857430)
No, it actually doesn't.

OK, point made and despite Billy's implication, I do actually know the rule.