The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I Think They Teach This (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/92593-i-think-they-teach.html)

Scratch85 Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857427)
I guess I'll drop it but at least I got to use elucidate in a sentence.

And because of that, I learned something new! I can't wait to work it into a conversation. :)

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:49pm

Recite Them, Without Looking, No Cheating ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 857439)
OK, point made and despite Billy's implication, I do actually know the rule.

I don't. At least not all the various permutations of the jump ball rules. I used to, but that was three decades ago.

Rich Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 857438)
I used to get (mildly) annoyed by this. Now, i just <strike>assume</strike> pretend that the official who says this is talking to the jumpers -- to whom it does (reasonably) apply.

I have been known to say this and, well, I do say it to the jumpers. I also tell them not to steal it and then I launch it up when neither of them is ready. Just kidding.

The players around the circle, those are not my responsibility. I'm too busy trying not to get elbowed in the face. :)

JRutledge Mon Oct 08, 2012 01:59pm

I have said, "Wait until the ball is tipped" but I am more talking to the jumpers. As far as I am concerned, this is more on the teams to know the rules. And I only say this as the Referee. Never thought of the other players honestly.

Peace

Scratch85 Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:15pm

Does everyone announce direction and color? It is common in my area but I am not sure why.

As the R, I confirm with captains that their team is on the floor and ready to go. Then I whistle and toss. Probably less than 2 seconds between tweet and toss. Not much time to get in trouble. As a U, I keep my mouth shut and hope nothing blows up.

Personally, I think a jump ball is a terrible way to get a great start to a game but a great way to get a terrible start to a game.

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:22pm

Dr. James Naismith And Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Were College Roommates ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 857450)
I think a jump ball is a terrible way to get a great start to a game but a great way to get a terrible start to a game.

Scratch85: You had better delete your statement above before Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. sees it, or you're going to be getting a good scolding.

JRutledge Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:25pm

Quote:

Does everyone announce direction and color? It is common in my area but I am not sure why.

As the R, I confirm with captains that their team is on the floor and ready to go. Then I whistle and toss. Probably less than 2 seconds between tweet and toss. Not much time to get in trouble. As a U, I keep my mouth shut and hope nothing blows up.

Personally, I think a jump ball is a terrible way to get a great start to a game but a great way to get a terrible start to a game.

I do if for no other reason to make sure I am have the teams going in the right direction as the Referee. I tend to look at the benches and hoping I will pick up on misdirection of the players. The last thing I want to do is start a game with teams going in the wrong direction.

Peace

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:29pm

Better To Be Safe Than Sorry ...

Quote:

I do. As I announce I glance over at the benches to be sure that the teams are going in to the correct direction (opposite benches). This little habit of mine, and it's just mine, not my local board's, has saved me from an embarrassing start in several Catholic middle school games, and in a few varsity high school games over the years. If I start he game going in the wrong direction, the coaches, and fans, will have more "ammunition", if you know what I mean.

tref Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 857447)
I have said, "Wait until the ball is tipped" but I am more talking to the jumpers.

Will you elucidate just what the jumpers are "waiting for the ball to be tipped for?"

Quote:

It's in the book, but I dont use it. I was scolded one summer at a camp, the clinician said 1. it made me look so HS & 2. if they dont know which way they are going by now...

Ever since then I just make sure they're lined up properly.

Scratch85 Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 857456)
Will you elucidate just what the jumpers are "waiting for the ball to be tipped for?"

Well played tref, well played. :cool:

Where is it in the book? Like I said, most in my area do it but I didn't think it was in the manuals anywhere.

BillyMac Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:35pm

Did I Guess Correctly ???

Quote:

Will you elucidate just what the jumpers are "waiting for the ball to be tipped for?

I'm at work, with no books, but I'll venture a guess. The jumpers are waiting for the ball to be tipped before they leave the jump ball circle. I don't believe that they can leave on the toss, but I'm not sure.

JRutledge Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:41pm

Quote:

Rule 6-3-7 says Neither jumper shall:

a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
b. Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c. Catch the jump ball.
d. Touch the ball more than twice.

Peace

Scratch85 Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:43pm

In addition

The non-jumpers on the center circle are not allowed to enter an occupied space or have a foot over the restraining line until the ball is touched.

In post #25, I meant, where is it in the books that we announce color and direction? Otherwise I was just playing with welp's and tref's pedantic use of the word "elucidate".

tref Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 857460)
Rule 6-3-7 says Neither jumper shall:

a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
b. Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c. Catch the jump ball.
d. Touch the ball more than twice.

Peace

Ok, thats a very obvious fact. To each his own & if you like it, I love it!

Personally, I just say *tweet* & toss.

Adam Mon Oct 08, 2012 02:55pm

Quote:

It's in the book, but I dont use it. I was scolded one summer at a camp, the clinician said 1. it made me look so HS & 2. if they dont know which way they are going by now...

Ever since then I just make sure they're lined up properly.

I see what you did there.

Interesting. I don't see it as bad to "look high school," but I'm not trying out for the RMAC, so....

I do it for the reasons Rut stated. The habit has saved me a poor start on more than one occasion, particularly in off season ball.

I don't check with captains, though, so I can't be too judgy.