The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:46am
Often wrong never n doubt

Delay of Game

Back when I coached we played a game in which we were down 4 points with the ball under our own basket with 5 seconds remaining. We were out of timeouts. I instucted my player that once we scored to knock the ball into the bleachers. I did that bc I already knew the other team wouldn't even inbound the ball as I heard their coach tell them they are out of time outs just let them score and don't inbound the ball. We inbounded and scored and immediately my player slapped the ball into the coner near the bleachers. The official gave us a delay of game warning which stopped the clock. We stole the following inbounds pass and missed a 3 at the buzzer.

Question was the call correct? Should we have received a warning or a technical foul. The other coach argued that we shouldn't have received our warning bc it was under one minute left in the game. I can find nothing to support this. However 10-3-5a states player technical for delay the game by acts such as: Preventing the ball from being made live promptly of from being put in play.

I wasn't positive at the time but I expected to receive a warning. Even if we would have received the T it wouldn't have hurt us anymore as we were going to lose without stopping the clock.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

See previous thread:

End of game intentional delay
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:06am
Often wrong never n doubt

Thanks for the help.

COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play that is in question and might answer your ultimate question.

9.2.10 SITUATION A:
A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

With less than 5 seconds left, I'm ignoring this unless the winning team is actually trying to inbound the ball. If it's obvious to everyone that they're trying to actually throw it in, I'll go straight to the T.

And it would have to be pretty obvious.

And knocking a ball into the bleachers might just get a T from me the first time at any point in the game; depending on where the bleachers are and where the ball landed. IOW, just how far did it fly?

Last edited by Adam; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32am.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:36am
Do not give a damn!!

This happened in the State Finals in 2011, Semi-Final Game in my state and was called appropriately as a technical foul.

I believe the team that did this action and threw the ball into the stands and obvious to everyone was behind by a couple of points. All I know is the official in question was applauded by the higher ups that he made this call.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not The Southfork Ranch Ewing ...

Didn't Patrick Ewing do something like this in an NCAA tournament game back when he played for Georgetown?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 02:12pm.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This happened in the State Finals in 2011, Semi-Final Game in my state and was called appropriately as a technical foul.

I believe the team that did this action and threw the ball into the stands and obvious to everyone was behind by a couple of points. All I know is the official in question was applauded by the higher ups that he made this call.

Peace
I'd applaud them louder if they'd just let the clock run out. The T still gives the offending team at least a miniscule chance of winning, with two missed tech free-throws and a steal of the ensuing inbounds pass.

The offending team has virtually no chance if the clock simply runs out.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
I'd applaud them louder if they'd just let the clock run out. The T still gives the offending team at least a miniscule chance of winning, with two missed tech free-throws and a steal of the ensuing inbounds pass.

My thinking as well.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

That sounds great in practice, but when the ball is about 10 rows up, something needed to be done. You cannot have a kid attempting to go get a ball in that situation IMO. If nothing else it makes them think twice during other times of the game.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Bottom line is if you have a whistle, it needs to be a T. The only way I have a whistle, though, is if A1 is dumb enough to actually try to throw it in. In that case, I'll give the T.

I'd like to see the case play expanded to include baskets made with 10 seconds or less remaining, but....
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That sounds great in practice, but when the ball is about 10 rows up, something needed to be done. You cannot have a kid attempting to go get a ball in that situation IMO. If nothing else it makes them think twice during other times of the game.

Peace
Inside of five seconds remaining and the clock running, how many, "other times of the game" are you expecting?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Inside of five seconds remaining and the clock running, how many, "other times of the game" are you expecting?
You have never seen a player throw the ball out of the way during other parts of the game before?

Peace
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have never seen a player throw the ball out of the way during other parts of the game before?

Peace
There isn't much of the game left to worry about them doing it again when there is only 5 seconds left.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2012, 09:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There isn't much of the game left to worry about them doing it again when there is only 5 seconds left.
Not talking about that particular game or specific situation. We are arbiters of the game not calling things just for that situation. If teams know this might get them a T in this part of the game (and they might not be that introspective) then they might not do it any other time. Not really that big of a deal and if you are so concerned about running out the clock, then do just that. I really do not see this a big deal either way. The case book says this is a T and that is what I would likely call based on my knowledge of this ruling. I think we worry too much about what might happen if we apply the rule that is clearly backed up than we need to.

Peace