The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Question

Team B losing late in 4th Q, makes a basket. A1 picks the ball up as it's bouncing after the made shot in his right hand, with his hand underneath the ball. A1 is OOB during the whole time. at that moment, B2 who's is inbounds, slaps the ball out of the hand of A1.

what da ya got? T or delay?

i whistled it a T, because i thought he had possession.

Team B coach's first argument as i walk to report the T is that it should be a warning for delay of game. i said it would have, if your player hadn't knocked the ball out of A1's hand and simple broke the plane of the OOB. but, he slapped the ball out of A1's hand who was OOB and in possession of the ball at that time. After the T is shot, his second argument was that A1 never had possession. i said yes he did in my opinion.

i liked how he changed his argument depending upon what i told him.

then as i'm leaving the facility, Team A's coach shakes my hand and my partners. Then tells us he did even know that rule, 9-2, was a rule! i wonder if Team B's coach knows about it? if not, i think he does now!

what even more funny is that Team B's coach tells me at about the 3 minute mark of the 3rd Q, that we are doing a GREAT JOB!!! i didn't even turn and say thank you. because the game wasn't over yet. and you what, they were winning at the time he told me we were doing a great job. 8-)
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBark
Team B losing late in 4th Q, makes a basket. A1 picks the ball up as it's bouncing after the made shot in his right hand, with his hand underneath the ball. A1 is OOB during the whole time. at that moment, B2 who's is inbounds, slaps the ball out of the hand of A1.

what da ya got? T or delay?

Yup!

T and a delay warning.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Doesn't depend on where the ball is? If the ball in the hand is in-bounds doesn't that make it fair game. Same as a spot throw-in when the in-bounder holds the ball on the in-bounds side of the oob line.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Doesn't depend on where the ball is? If the ball in the hand is in-bounds doesn't that make it fair game. Same as a spot throw-in when the in-bounder holds the ball on the in-bounds side of the oob line.
The points that you make are right, but are not relevant to this particular play. In JohnBark's description of the play above, he said that B2 broke the OOB plane and then slapped the ball out of A1's hands when A1 was OOB and in possession of the ball. The key words are B2 "broke the plane of the OOB" before touching the ball.