The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
"Cause" is a positive action as it is commonly used in the realm of basketball. As such, the elbow in your example didn't cause the contact...it was just there. The other player caused contact by moving into it. It just happens that the reason it is a foul is that the elbow was not in a legal position when contact occurred.

Shooter cause contact all the time when they catch a defender out of position....maybe the arms are not vertical and the shooter ensures they cause contact in hopes of getting a foul (sometimes deserved, sometimes not).
I think we are in agreement other than semantics.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendy Trent View Post
I think we are in agreement other than semantics.
Who is this semantics guy who disagrees with us? Maybe he needs some clarification.
Old Fri Oct 05, 2012, 05:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the next question is whether the semantics matter. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Here, I would lean towards saying they do.

Last edited by Adam; Sun Oct 07, 2012 at 09:14pm.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no foul. The ball handler doesn't have to clear a way for the defense to get to the ball. The elbows have to be somewhere and if the hand on that arm is holding the ball, I'm not going to consider it illegal when someone runs into it regardless of the position. If that arm is, instead, being used to shield the ball but not holding the ball or is extended in a very unnatural fashion, I would consider otherwise.
our assigner rules that there is no situation for elbow contact above the shoulder to be ruled a common foul. is this your take on that rule?
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
our assigner rules that there is no situation for elbow contact above the shoulder to be ruled a common foul. is this your take on that rule?
That's clearly contrary to the statement in the POE.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2012, 10:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
It makes sense if the stationary player doesn't have legal position.
I just saw this thread now, and this was my exact thought.

Setting a screen with elbows high and wide is not a legal position, so any contact on those elbows is illegal. This is similar to a defensive player who takes a stationary position with one foot on an out-of-bounds boundary line. The position is not legal, so any contact that occurs is illegal contact caused by the defender.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I just saw this thread now, and this was my exact thought.

Setting a screen with elbows high and wide is not a legal position, so any contact on those elbows is illegal. This is similar to a defensive player who takes a stationary position with one foot on an out-of-bounds boundary line. The position is not legal, so any contact that occurs is illegal contact caused by the defender.
That is not correct. The OOB player can't have LGP, that is all. The rule doesn't come anywhere near declaring that they are liable for all contact by being OOB, just that they can't be guarding. It doesn't become open season for an opponent to run into them if they see they happen to be touching OOB but are not actively guarding.

The case play that some like to cite to support your claim involves a player actively guarding the opponent...meaning the player was moving to maintain LGP but loses it by stepping OOB. It doesn't support your claim at all.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Ball handler and elbows

9-13-2. . . A player may extend arm(s) or elbow(s) to hold the ball under the chin or against the body.

So, A1 holds the ball as described, above, and B2, guarding A2 runs into A1's elbow.

What do we have?

(I've seen this, numerous times, and even with severe contact to the head of B2.) What judgement factors do you use regarding such contact?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2012, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
9-13-2. . . A player may extend arm(s) or elbow(s) to hold the ball under the chin or against the body.

So, A1 holds the ball as described, above, and B2, guarding A2 runs into A1's elbow.

What do we have?

(I've seen this, numerous times, and even with severe contact to the head of B2.) What judgement factors do you use regarding such contact?
According to 4-40-7, a player with the ball can be considered to be a screener. I would say in this situation A1 could be charged with an illegal screen.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post

What do we have?

Depends. It could be a foul on either. It could either be a screen that is called against A1 or it could be a foul on B2 for contacting the ball handler's arm. Unless it was a clear attempt to use the elbow to set a screen, I'm most likely going with the defensive foul. If you don't you'll have defenders running into the ball handler's arms all night trying to get the illegal screen call.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2012, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends. It could be a foul on either. It could either be a screen that is called against A1 or it could be a foul on B2 for contacting the ball handler's arm. Unless it was a clear attempt to use the elbow to set a screen, I'm most likely going with the defensive foul. If you don't you'll have defenders running into the ball handler's arms all night trying to get the illegal screen call.
Agreed. It could also be incidental contact.

Most of the time, a player only chins the ball when a defensive player is tring to swat at it. So, the chances of having a different defensive player run into the elbow are pretty slim, I would think.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
He need to rethink his statement......
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
He need to rethink his statement......
Yep, taking a college mentality and applying it to high school when the rules don't support it.

Maybe even taking a misunderstanding of the college rule.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Yep, taking a college mentality and applying it to high school when the rules don't support it.

The one and only problem I see with this whole thing is that someone has to see the elbow contact. Since there are no monitors (at least in our area in HS), a coach cant request or even suggest that his kid got an elbow...no way to review even if the kid is on the grown holding his face.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Yes, even a misunderstanding of the college rule.