The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

When Opportunity Knocks

I know the last thread on "should you cross the picket line?" morphed into a union battle of sorts, but I just wanted to share briefly how I have seen someone I know personally take advantage of this situation.

A local guy was part of the NFL replacement crew which recently officiated the Giants v. Cowboys game. While it's easy to bash the calls made (the regulars get bashed as well) many commentators felt like the game was a victory for the league and a defeat for the cause of the striking officials. Many knowledgeable sources said there really wasn't that big of a difference. Most of the guys on this crew had not even officiated a D1 game, and may never get that chance.

I guess all that to say I'm happy he got that chance. I have no idea what type of blacklisting or whatever could take place, but with the opportunity given I believe he's made the most out of it. He may never touch an NFL field again, but with national recognition it may be his ticket to doing SEC, PAC12, etc.

While I totally support standing up as a high school association if the schools are paying low wages it seems that the highest levels needed to be evaluated in a different light and by each individual.

Full disclosure: I live in a right to work state and have not been associated with a union in the past.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

The officials are not striking but rather are being locked out.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Sep 08, 2012, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
I know the last thread on "should you cross the picket line?" morphed into a union battle of sorts, but I just wanted to share briefly how I have seen someone I know personally take advantage of this situation.

A local guy was part of the NFL replacement crew which recently officiated the Giants v. Cowboys game. While it's easy to bash the calls made (the regulars get bashed as well) many commentators felt like the game was a victory for the league and a defeat for the cause of the striking officials. Many knowledgeable sources said there really wasn't that big of a difference. Most of the guys on this crew had not even officiated a D1 game, and may never get that chance.

I guess all that to say I'm happy he got that chance. I have no idea what type of blacklisting or whatever could take place, but with the opportunity given I believe he's made the most out of it. He may never touch an NFL field again, but with national recognition it may be his ticket to doing SEC, PAC12, etc.

While I totally support standing up as a high school association if the schools are paying low wages it seems that the highest levels needed to be evaluated in a different light and by each individual.

Full disclosure: I live in a right to work state and have not been associated with a union in the past.
Seems to me that the central issue of your story isn't about lockouts, strikes, scabs, etc., but about a quality official who hasn't been afforded an opportunity to prove himself for whatever reasons.
I think that it is sad that it took a situation like this to provide a deserving official a chance. That is the problem which needs to be addressed at the upper levels.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

When I have moved up to the next level- there were many times the speed of the game, ect were difficult. Several of the games things went with out a hitch. But I remember my second or third Boys HS Varsity game I missed a coach calling a time out late in a tied game. The player heard the time out and took a deep 3 because he thought it was a dead ball. I have never missed a TO since but it may have cost that team a win.

My point is that when you are not ready and the entire crew are rookies- things can go smooth or fait can rear its ugly head.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Although I've only been in officiating for a few years (and only do basketball) it seems to me that the "opportunity to show yourself" is much harder in football than in basketball. There are fewer camps, there are fewer college teams, etc.

Locally, I've heard that unless you have 20 years of experience you will not touch a state playoff game, and most of the guys in the championship have 30 years. (this is coming from a friend who has had success in football and carries no bitterness toward the situation) I don't think it's a good ole' boys thing, since the assigner is well liked. He even runs the wings and works junior high games.. who does that?

All that to say I'm grateful for the chance to get out there and prove myself in basketball, so I don't think I'd cross the line, but if I was a football official it would be very tempting not to if the NFL was taking applications.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 03:41am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Blue View Post
... things can go smooth or fait can rear its ugly head.
And we all know how that feals.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Move up to the PAC-12...a league ran by an NFL official...fat chance.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Truth is he didn't earn his spot on a NFL field...he stepped on his brothers for that spot intead.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think "brothers" here is a little strong and probably unrealistic. We aren't one gigantic group of officials across the globe. Of course I'd sit at home for guys I know and have worked alongside, but to act like those guys in the NFL give a rip about any of us is something a Disney movie would have a hard time trying to make believable.

Each official has to assess their individual path/career/journey and decide if crossing the line is for them. I just don't think one size fits all.

Just my opinion.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I think "brothers" here is a little strong and probably unrealistic. We aren't one gigantic group of officials across the globe. Of course I'd sit at home for guys I know and have worked alongside, but to act like those guys in the NFL give a rip about any of us is something a Disney movie would have a hard time trying to make believable.

Each official has to assess their individual path/career/journey and decide if crossing the line is for them. I just don't think one size fits all.

Just my opinion.
I personally know a few NFL officials (3 are in one of my associations) and I would never go for some short glory to work a game at that level. For one it would be more personal than about them. I would always feel like I did not earn that spot and once it is over I will be thrown to the wolves. The NFL does not care about those guys either and have done them no favors by putting them in this situation. And if I am on the field when something silly happens like giving a 4th timeout, then that is what my career will be remembered for. And I also know several of the replacement officials as well, many will have no place to come back to. And not all are old guys that were already on their way out.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 10, 2012, 11:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Just my opinion.
You should consider expanding your definition of brotherhood.

Just consider it.

Just saying.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

A lot of us take the approach that we are the "third" team out on the field/court/diamond and our crew members are the only friends we have out there. So to step on them for short glory as JRut said is pretty damning to ones character.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 11:17am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

Just my opinion.
The NFL officials from this area DO give a rip about us. They are always speaking at our clinics and staying involved in the chapter. That is one reason why I could not in good conscience work as a replacement.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 12:13pm
This IS My Social Life

The Final Word on the Subject . . . or Maybe Not

Could it be there is a stark distinction between:
"Seizing an Opportunity"
and
"Being an Opportunist"?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. We work in a profession that can be a difficult one to advance within. Every opportunity to do so, should be taken. Why not? We don't work as hard as we do to let big time opportunities come and go without action. I praise the replacement officials. And, I think they have done a great job, thus far. Good for them.
Closed Thread