The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Inadvertent Whistle

We had this play at camp and there was multiple opinions about where to place the ball. Of course I left my rules book in my suitcase, so any rule citation would be much appreciated.

A1 has the ball in his backcourt with roughly 5 seconds left in the game, down 3. A1 throws the ball to A2 who is roughly in the frontcourt on the three point line. While the ball is in the air, the Lead official grants a timeout to Team A. The clock continued to run as the score table didn't hear the whistle. The T heard the whistle and checked the time on the clock 1.8 seconds.

The three officials come together and realize the ball was in the air and Team A didn't have player control. They discuss how much time is on the clock. They also discuss where the ball should be placed.

They continue by granting the timeout and giving possession to Team A at the nearest sideline spot to where A2 had caught the ball. They place 1.8 seconds on the clock.

Did they get the play right?

EDIT: specifically, I'm wondering about the placement of the ball.

Last edited by Toren; Thu Jul 26, 2012 at 09:29am.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Ball location is where is was last in contact with a player in this case, which would have where A1 had possession. Clock is set to whatever time the official blew his whistle which seems to have been 1.8 seconds by your description.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Here's the NFHS Case Book play...

I've edited it to deal with the specific situation in the OP...so no, they didn't get it right in terms of the location of the ball.

Quote:
7.5.3 SITUATION:

An official sounds his/her whistle inadvertently...(b) while the pass is in flight from A1 (in A's backcourt) to A2 (in A's frontcourt).

RULING: The ball is put in play at the point of interruption. In (b), since the ball is being passed among teammates and is in flight, it retains the same location as when it was last in contact with A1 in Team A's backcourt. Therefore, Team A is awarded a throw-in at the nearest out-of-bounds spot to where A1 was when the whistle was sounded. (7-4-4; 4-4-3; 4-12-3; 4-36-1, 4-36-2)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thank you
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

So, team A really got the short end of that deal. They lost both the position on the court AND the time. They get the spot pre-pass but the time post-pass....raw deal. But, correct by rule since no official apparently knew how much time was on the clock when the whistle sounded.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
So, team A really got the short end of that deal. They lost both the position on the court AND the time. They get the spot pre-pass but the time post-pass....raw deal. But, correct by rule since no official apparently knew how much time was on the clock when the whistle sounded.
Actually in the OP they broke even and probably even made out little better since they got the ball in the frontcourt but lost time on the clock.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Actually in the OP they broke even and probably even made out little better since they got the ball in the frontcourt but lost time on the clock.
Yes, in the OP they did, but if administered as in the posted interpretation, it wouldn't work out so well when combining the inadvertent whistle with the failure to stop the clock on the whistle with no official having definite knowledge. Going back to the spot of the throw with the time after the catch is just plain wrong by any common sense analysis. But, as was said, that is where the rules lead in this case of two errors in one.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2012, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I believe Camron was referring to the result if the OP had been officiated by the Case Play.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post

"Thanks for the check!" *scratches name off the list*
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
We had this play at camp and there was multiple opinions about where to place the ball. Of course I left my rules book in my suitcase, so any rule citation would be much appreciated.

A1 has the ball in his backcourt with roughly 5 seconds left in the game, down 3. A1 throws the ball to A2 who is roughly in the frontcourt on the three point line. While the ball is in the air, the Lead official grants a timeout to Team A. The clock continued to run as the score table didn't hear the whistle. The T heard the whistle and checked the time on the clock 1.8 seconds.

The three officials come together and realize the ball was in the air and Team A didn't have player control. They discuss how much time is on the clock. They also discuss where the ball should be placed.

They continue by granting the timeout and giving possession to Team A at the nearest sideline spot to where A2 had caught the ball. They place 1.8 seconds on the clock.

Where was the ball when a timeout was requested? (I presume a timeout was requested.) If team A had player control when the timeout was requested, A ball nearest the possession location, regardless of where the ball was when the whistle was blown. If the timeout was granted without player control, it is too late to "get it right". All that's left is to fix the mistake.
Old Fri Jul 27, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
Where was the ball when a timeout was requested? (I presume a timeout was requested.) If team A had player control when the timeout was requested, A ball nearest the possession location, regardless of where the ball was when the whistle was blown. If the timeout was granted without player control, it is too late to "get it right". All that's left is to fix the mistake.
The ball was in flight from player A1 to A2. A2 did not have player control yet. The coach was yelling for a timeout as he was obviously anxious to get the time stopped. This of course caused the hurried whistle from the L.