The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Dunk That Pops Out or BI?

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

No basket.......

no whistle needed just keep playin......
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like the net kept the ball from going in. It does not look at all like BI.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 03:37pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
No basket.......

no whistle needed just keep playin......
Done in one!
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

At first glance I thought it hit A1 in the head...then I slowed it down.

Yeah, he got caught by the net monster.

One other thing I noticed: it took three seconds for the shot clock to reset. Three seconds on a dunk???
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jul 23, 2012, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Why wouldn't this basket count? The ball is all the way through the cylinder. The only rule I can really find regarding this in NFHS is 5-1-1: "A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through."

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbrian View Post
Why wouldn't this basket count? The ball is all the way through the cylinder. The only rule I can really find regarding this in NFHS is 5-1-1: "A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through."

Well the ball did not remain in the basket and immediately popped out. So the basket cannot count just for that reason alone. Now if the ball hit his head and popped out, then that would be for other reasons. It would be BI if that is the case, but that is hard to tell by the video and how far away the camera angle is for this play.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well the ball did not remain in the basket and immediately popped out. So the basket cannot count just for that reason alone.
But the ball did "pass through" which says is okay according the NFHS rules I found. It just doesn't really say pass through what?

Quote:
Now if the ball hit his head and popped out, then that would be for other reasons. It would be BI if that is the case
How can you have basket interference after the ball has already passed through the cylinder? (I guess I'm still on the ball passing through the cylinder train of thought.) The ball would be dead at that point and the basket would count.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 12:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink You need to look more than one place.

Quote:
But the ball did "pass through" which says is okay according the NFHS rules I found. It just doesn't really say pass through what?
You need to read Rule 2-10-1. In order to know what Rule 5-1 you must know what is considered the basket. The basket obviously by definition involves the net.

"Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside the diameter, its flange and braces, and a white cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring."

Quote:
How can you have basket interference after the ball has already passed through the cylinder? (I guess I'm still on the ball passing through the cylinder train of thought.) The ball would be dead at that point and the basket would count.
It would be BI because a player from either team touched a ball including within the net while the ball is on or within the basket. You need to read Rule 4-6-1. There is no distinction as to who the player must be or how they touch the ball. And the ball is only dead when a goal is made. Because of what 5-1 says, you cannot have a goal until the ball has passed through the basket according to Rule 6-7-1.

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Jul 24, 2012 at 12:56am.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 09:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Great awareness by these officials to "play on".
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You need to read Rule 2-10-1. In order to know what Rule 5-1 you must know what is considered the basket. The basket obviously by definition involves the net.

"Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside the diameter, its flange and braces, and a white cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring."

It would be BI because a player from either team touched a ball including within the net while the ball is on or within the basket.
Okay, I guess 2-10-1 is what I was looking for. Thanks for clarifying this for me. And since we agree now that the ball did not go all the way "through," then yes, the basket interference call makes obvious sense if it did hit him in the head.

On a related note then, how about if a shot hits an opponents head while in the basket?
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, I guess 2-10-1 is what I was looking for. Thanks for clarifying this for me. And since we agree now that the ball did not go all the way "through," then yes, the basket interference call makes obvious sense if it did hit him in the head.

On a related note then, how about if a shot hits an opponents head while in the basket?
Per NBA rules, that's a goaltend (terminology is a little different but the rule is effectively the same as NFHS/NCAA)...NFHS/NCAA, that's basketball interference. It doesn't matter whom contacts the ball while the ball is in the basket.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Well that is BI at the college and HS levels. I cannot speak exactly for the NBA as they have often little subtle differences in these areas. But it would have been BI by all other levels as BI does not distinguish how the ball is touched and prevents a player from committing a violation.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

basket and rim are not the same thing.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jul 24, 2012, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
basket and rim are not the same thing.
But the rim is a part of the basket.