The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

The batter attempts to bunt with 2 strikes but POPS it up

Hi all!

The batter attempts to bunt with 2 strikes but POPS it up where F2 makes the catch in foul territory. R1 was moving on the pitch.
Is the batter out because he bunts foul (dead ball and F2 can't try to eliminate R1 on first base) or because F2 makes the catch(ball alive and in play and F2 can try to eliminate R1)?
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskMan View Post
Hi all!

The batter attempts to bunt with 2 strikes but POPS it up where F2 makes the catch in foul territory. R1 was moving on the pitch.
Is the batter out because he bunts foul (dead ball and F2 can't try to eliminate R1 on first base) or because F2 makes the catch(ball alive and in play and F2 can try to eliminate R1)?
It's a catch. Ball is live.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2011, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Note that the rules do not differentiate between a caught foul fly and a caught fair fly--they are both simply a caught fly ball. So as already answered, it's a catch and the ball is live.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Is the batter out because he bunts foul (dead ball and F2 can't try to eliminate R1 on first base)"

I have never heard of dead ball on third strike, foul bunt.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdt View Post
"Is the batter out because he bunts foul (dead ball and F2 can't try to eliminate R1 on first base)"

I have never heard of dead ball on third strike, foul bunt.
What!?

That's the rule in all codes (I suppose there might be some very-young-youth rule that has something different).

It's a dead ball becasue it's foul. (I assume we're NOT talking about the caught ball here). It's an out to stop the batter from continually bunting foul to tire the pitcher.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dead because foul.
That makes sense.
I have probably called it 50 times and it just never registered what I just did.
Too simple
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

This question was on the NCAA test. My immediate thought is that the batter is out and the ball is dead the second the catcher touches it. Runners cannot advance and must return. Penalties in baseball are designed to punish the person/team at fault - in this case, the batter.

If the catcher had not caught the ball the result would still be the same, right?

I answered it this way. If it was wrong I'll know in a couple days. Good luck.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

No catch, it's a strike out. Catch, runner can retouch and attempt to advance. I think you're thinking too much about penalty versus just watching baseball and letting it happened.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

This is a situation where F2 screwed up by catching the ball. Granted, in most situations, no runner will advance. However, by letting the ball drop foul, the ball's dead and the runners can't advance.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

I have a lote/hate relationship with these questions. I enjoy discussing them but hate seeing them on tests. I appreciate the thoughts but want to ask a couple things:
1) The batted ball is not foul until it is touched while on or over foul terrirtory. By definition, it is a dead ball at the time that happens, right?

2) Yes, I know that a caught fly ball, even foul, is live. But does the bunt attempt supersede it?

2) If that is the case, it is a TOP play, right?

I have pored over J/R and can't find a definitive ruling. Anyone have the EXACT ruling to substantiate our call here?

My test has already been submitted and I passed. My questions are for discussion and improvement only. Thanks again.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I have a lote/hate relationship with these questions. I enjoy discussing them but hate seeing them on tests. I appreciate the thoughts but want to ask a couple things:
1) The batted ball is not foul until it is touched while on or over foul terrirtory. By definition, it is a dead ball at the time that happens, right?
Read tehe "when a ball becomes dead" section (I'm without my books, so that might not be the correct title). Does it say the ball is dead on a foul, or on an UNCAUGHT foul?
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

5.09 The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when— (e) A foul ball is not caught; runners return. The umpire shall not put the ball in play until all runners have retouched their bases;

6.05 A batter is out when— (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
Comment: Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead.

A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession.
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:28am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I have a lote/hate relationship with these questions. I enjoy discussing them but hate seeing them on tests.
I hate seeing a lot of them in the games!

JJ
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Read tehe "when a ball becomes dead" section (I'm without my books, so that might not be the correct title). Does it say the ball is dead on a foul, or on an UNCAUGHT foul?
Bob,
A foul is not foul until touched or it comes to a stop on foul ground. As this ball was touched and secured, as the result of an attempted bunt with two strikes, by rule it should be immediately dead. Obviously we have an issue of whether the foul third strike supersedes a foul catch. So far I haven't seen anything that I can use to call this a live ball. I hate these plays but know that it wouldn't be in there unless it happened to one of us and will again. Thanks.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaksa/Roder
A batter is out when
(3) his third strike is uncaught because it was bunted foul,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Evans Annotated
5.09(d) Professional Interpretation #1: A ball that is bunted foul on 3rd strike may be caught for an out and the ball remains alive and in play. If it is not caught in flight, the ball is dead and all runners return in accordance with 5.09(d).
What else do you want?