The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA: Brazil vs. USA 7/16/12

Did anyone catch the game? Thoughts on the officiating/differences between the different American codes?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Last edited by APG; Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 09:06pm.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 10:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm DVR'ing the replay tonight. One of my buddies worked the game so I can't wait to see it.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2012, 11:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I watched most of it and the announcers were spot on when they would say that the international officials let a lot of contact go uncalled. The game was rough, to say the least. Apparently, this is how FEEBLE games are called.

Too bad Maurice Lucas isn't still with us. He'd have a field day under these rules.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I watched most of it and the announcers were spot on when they would say that the international officials let a lot of contact go uncalled. The game was rough, to say the least. Apparently, this is how FEEBLE games are called.

Too bad Maurice Lucas isn't still with us. He'd have a field day under these rules.
I've always felt that the NBA over-penalizes the defenders for contact. I prefer the way that you say the international game is called. Perhaps that is because I grew up watching the Big East in the 80s and 90s.
I believe that the NBA is less concerned with a proper balance between offense and defense and is far more concerned with protecting high-paid players and increasing scoring--which sells tickets and makes $ for the league. I can't even argue that the NBA shouldn't do exactly that as it is an entertainment business with the goal to make as much profit as possible.
The NCAA is moving more towards the NBA with regard to what I expressed above, in my opinion, because of all the TV coverage (scrutiny) and the huge amount of money at stake with the NCAA tournament.
If you see the HS game on a consistent basis you will note a clear difference in physical defensive play, especially in the area which still use only two officials on the games.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

I tend to agree...I thought there were a lot of freedom of movement plays that were passed on that should have been called. Lots of handchecking, body bumps, impedes off ball and some borderline screens. And it seemed the USA players adjusted, because they were just as bad at times. As someone who is accustomed to watching the NBA and NCAA basketball, the game was quite rough. This isn't necessarily something confined to this game and more something that seems to be accepted in the international game.

Any folks who use FIBA rules have any insight on this?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I'm DVR'ing the replay tonight. One of my buddies worked the game so I can't wait to see it.
M. M. ? I thought it might be him...great for him!!
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I've always felt that the NBA over-penalizes the defenders for contact. I prefer the way that you say the international game is called. Perhaps that is because I grew up watching the Big East in the 80s and 90s.
I believe that the NBA is less concerned with a proper balance between offense and defense and is far more concerned with protecting high-paid players and increasing scoring--which sells tickets and makes $ for the league. I can't even argue that the NBA shouldn't do exactly that as it is an entertainment business with the goal to make as much profit as possible.
The NCAA is moving more towards the NBA with regard to what I expressed above, in my opinion, because of all the TV coverage (scrutiny) and the huge amount of money at stake with the NCAA tournament.
If you see the HS game on a consistent basis you will note a clear difference in physical defensive play, especially in the area which still use only two officials on the games.
Nev, I think the NBA my overpenalize guys who have to defend star players. Apart from that I think it's okay given it's supposed to be entertainment more than anything else. I grew up watching the Big East of the 80s as well (I'm also an alum) and I felt the product became ugly at the end of the decade and even worse when it went to the six-foul DQ rule from '89-92.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Jul 17, 2012 at 05:43pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 03:23pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
M. M. ? I thought it might be him...great for him!!
Yup! 'twas
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I tend to agree...I thought there were a lot of freedom of movement plays that were passed on that should have been called. Lots of handchecking, body bumps, impedes off ball and some borderline screens. And it seemed the USA players adjusted, because they were just as bad at times. As someone who is accustomed to watching the NBA and NCAA basketball, the game was quite rough. This isn't necessarily something confined to this game and more something that seems to be accepted in the international game.

Any folks who use FIBA rules have any insight on this?
I officiate in Canada and use FIBA rules. I agree with you that International Games are more physical and officials pass on more contact. I don't believe however that it is because of how the rules (FIBA) are written. Most of the rules that deal with contact are consistent with NBA, NCAA etc.... It's probably because historically international games weren't called as close and unlike the NBA which has put pressure on its officials to tighten things up, FIBA has not done this as well. We're talking here about officials from all over the world and let's face it, some of them are not as good as North American officials (I'm going include Canadians in there with Americans to show my bias). I think as officiating around the world continues to evolve and improve, the international games will probably start to ressemble more what you see in the USA.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Crew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
BNR: Do you know who was in the crew?
Old Tue Jul 17, 2012, 08:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjoncanuck View Post
BNR: Do you know who was in the crew?
Matt Myers, Jose Carrion, and a guy named Tommy.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2012, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Tommy Short
Old Wed Jul 18, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
Tommy Short
Talk about a "plum assignment"...Tommy has worked 2yrs of D1 ball (10 games total - 7 last year).

Good for him! I've worked with him (in D2 games); he's a good official. Glad to know that there may be hope yet for us "little guys"...

I didn't watch the game, but I may have to go back and watch it now.....