The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Concussion like symptoms in an AAU game

I would like opinions on what we did with a situation today.

Now in normal HS games in this state, the IHSA has a policy that says if a player has concussion like systems they are not to come back into the game until a medical professional from the school has cleared the player or certified trainer clears a player to play.

Well working an AAU Tournament which had no clear policy stated and we had a player that was acting like they could have had a concussion. She was yelling she could not see and when the coach requested a timeout and we granted the timeout, the girl almost fell when the coach went to take care of her. She had to be helped off the court and was claiming she was dizzy.

So when it was clear she looked like she had either been hit in the head or was acting like she was about to pass out, we told the HC that we were not going to just allow her into the game. Then we even said that we need to know that the person was an MO/DO or a certified trainer (as the IHSA policy follows), and wanted to see a card or some other information that this was just not some person off the street. Well there was a guy that did come to help and he claimed he did not have any identification that would lead him of his position. So because of this, we did not allow the player (who was their best player) into the game for the remainder. Now to be clear they worked on her for some time. She was not going to come back immediately and likely would have sat out the entire first half without our intervention.

Now I am asking if you would have done the same or would you allow this or any player with what looks like concussion like systems that are described in the NF and even NCAA literature in an AAU contest?

Peace
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would default to the rules of my state in your situation.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2012, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

For the big one I did last week the girls were allowed to wear earrings (taped over)and the assigner stated the tournament had assumed any liability associated with that particular risk.

I'm assuming the tournament has insurance for this type of scenario if they went back in. I would assume AAU has coaches and tournaments who are more exposed to liability than a ref.

What you did was fine and supported by rules, but I wouldn't be surprised in an AAU setting the coaches could have put him/her back in and a ref might not have been able to stop it. I would have done the same as you did, but if I was overridden I would have made a note of it on the score sheet or note to assigner etc...just in case issues were raised down the line.

AAU is a different animal when compared to a HS game under NFHS and sanctioned by a state association.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 06:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Ring My Bell (Anita Ward) ...

NFHS 3-4-8: Any player who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent
with a concussion (such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness,
confusion, or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the game
and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health care
professional.

NFHS Intent And Purpose Of The Rules:
The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a
balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the
defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and tall player; to
provide reasonable safety and protection;
to create an atmosphere of sporting
behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly
limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may
be intelligently applied in each play situation.

I would handle this like the rules state. Here in the Constitution State, in any game, high school, or otherwise, we don't check the credentials of the person clearing the injured player, we just assume that when the coach approves the player to participate, that the player has been cleared by an appropriate health care professional. Of course, that's just here in Connecticut, so one should check their local listings, but for me, I will always err on the side of safety.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 06:38am.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 06:47am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Recently got an email about needing to have background checks for AAU out of the main office in Orlando. (We already do here in FL anyway). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the national organization comes out with some type of ruling on this matter. I think you did the right thing, Jeff.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Usually in this area (New England) on the rules sheet for a tournament it's written that for all but the rules specifically changed that HS rules apply. I would cite that when dealing with possible concussions.

I've done a few AAU games where athletes have been injured and a concussion was possible/probable and thankfully in each case the coaches have held the athlete out of the remainder of the game.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 08:46am
beware big brother

I would have done something similar to what you did. I would have told the coach she is displaying concussion like symptoms and cannot come back in the game until she is cleared by a certified trainer or doctor. However, if they tried to put her back in the game, I would have had the person's name and their position noted in the scorebook. At this point, they are assuming responsibility. I would not have taken the step of asking to see some sort of ID or certification.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:26am
This IS My Social Life

Around Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref3808 View Post
. . . I've done a few AAU games where athletes have been injured and a concussion was possible/probable and thankfully in each case the coaches have held the athlete out of the remainder of the game.
Our state association has committed the schools and their representatives to a protocol which leaves the determination of whether or not a concussion has been sustained to their “appropriate health care professional.” This was, at first, a controversial item, since that AHCP need not be a licensed physician or certified trainer--it could even be the coach! Many feared that we officials would be allowing concussed players, compelled by overly zealous coaches, to reenter the game when they shouldn't be allowed to play. However, those fears seem to have been unsubstantiated, probably because the penalty, not to mention the possible legal liability on the school, is so high.
I've not heard of a situation where this protocol has been abused for the sake of keeping a player with a concussion in the game.
Our state legislature has before it right now a bill which would extend a similar protocol to non-state sanctioned sports as well. This should cover everything from Little League, to USSSA, to AAU, to Mini-Mites--whatever.
Hope things are going in that direction in your state as well.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO In The Constitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I would have told the coach she is displaying concussion like symptoms and cannot come back in the game until she is cleared by a certified trainer or doctor.
We have been instructed never to use the "C" word, and to just describe the symptoms when we beckon the coach. "Coach, please come onto the court to administer to your player. He seems to be a little dizzy". It's up to the coach to take it from there, which includes requesting a timeout to keep the player in the game. All Connecticut interscholastic coaches, by state law, at all levels, must receive first aid training to keep their "coaching certificate", which includes training, also by state law, on how to deal with concussions. Coaches, trainers, athletic directors, principals, and school superintendents, are all well aware of the seriousness of concussions, or concussion-like, symptoms, and their legal implications, and ramifications, and how to deal with such.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 15, 2012 at 12:10pm.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I use the clarification from the 2010/11 Preseason Guide as my rule. It states, "The responsibility for obtaining that clearance (medical) rests with the coach/school, and need not be verified by the officials (unless state procedures require verification). If A2 appears at the scorer's table to re-enter the game, the officials shall assume the coach/school followed the appropriate return-to-play procedures and A2 is eligible to participate.

I might go as far as saying to the coach, "she ok?" But that's about it for me.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I use the clarification from the 2010/11 Preseason Guide as my rule. It states, "The responsibility for obtaining that clearance (medical) rests with the coach/school, and need not be verified by the officials (unless state procedures require verification). If A2 appears at the scorer's table to re-enter the game, the officials shall assume the coach/school followed the appropriate return-to-play procedures and A2 is eligible to participate.

I might go as far as saying to the coach, "she ok?" But that's about it for me.
We have a state law as well that there is a procedure that must be followed. That would not comply with the state law, at least with the school model.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 12:40pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We have a state law as well that there is a procedure that must be followed. That would not comply with the state law, at least with the school model.

Peace
Understand.

We don't have additional state guidance here in VA that I am aware of. So, if the league doesn't have any supplemental guidance, I use Fed rules.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 09:08pm
I miss being on the floor

You can never be too careful, Jeff. Error on the side of caution when it comes to that stuff. These kids are still developing, and any brain injury could affect the rest of their life.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2012, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

This is from the 2012 AAU Girls' Basketball Handbook:

Quote:
The official rules for grades 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th are the 2011-2012 (sic) NCAA Women’s Basketball rules unless otherwise stated in this online handbook.
For those who don't know, the NCAA doesn't have a concussion rule. The only requirement is an institution has a "concussion plan." However, the following is in Appendix VII of the rule book:

Quote:
An athlete who exhibits signs, symptoms, or behaviors consistent with a concussion, either at rest or during exertion, should be removed immediately from practice or competition and should not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health care professional.
So we don't have to remove them - since it doesn't say shall - but if we do the return process is basically the same as NFHS. Erring on the side of caution with an injury is never a bad thing so keeping the player on the sidelines if a doctor can't give the okay seems just fine.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)