The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

What's the call?

A1 drives to the basket and attempts a layup. B1, trying to block the shot, smacks the backboard so hard that the entire basket shakes for a couple of seconds while the ball is on the ring. The ball does not go in. What's the call?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
A1 drives to the basket and attempts a layup. B1, trying to block the shot, smacks the backboard so hard that the entire basket shakes for a couple of seconds while the ball is on the ring. The ball does not go in. What's the call?
Depending on the level probably a technical foul on the coach.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Assuming NFHS, and assuming the hitting of the backboard was due to a legitimate attempt to block the ball, then it's nothing. If it's not a legitimate block attempt, then the only call to make is a technical foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 12:33pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Depending on the level probably a technical foul on the coach.
I love the snark
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 01:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
What's your opinion based on rules you have read?
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Under NFHS rules, as the question is written, I got nothing. Crowd and coach will be screaming, but we all know how much they know about the rules.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 03:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I believe the call is "something."
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

ok, the call is legal shot block attempt. No whistle, play on
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
no whistle, play on
+1
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Case Book, Rule 10-3-4 (edited)

A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket...

RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts...

COMMENT: The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 05:46pm
We don't rent pigs

And if it happens 10 times that night, the same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Pretty Señorita" In Mexico ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"
just another ref: I've got the same guy at a lot of my games. He must be a real travelin' man, or you've been working far away from home.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 08:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
just another ref: I've got the same guy at a lot of my games. He must be a real travelin' man, or you've been working far away from home.
I've seen him coaching once. But haven't seen him since.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And if it happens 10 times that night, the same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"

Doubly frustrating when that "same guy" yelling for a T every time
is the stinkin coach!