The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What's the call? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/91929-whats-call.html)

PG_Ref Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42am

What's the call?

A1 drives to the basket and attempts a layup. B1, trying to block the shot, smacks the backboard so hard that the entire basket shakes for a couple of seconds while the ball is on the ring. The ball does not go in. What's the call?

tref Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 848058)
A1 drives to the basket and attempts a layup. B1, trying to block the shot, smacks the backboard so hard that the entire basket shakes for a couple of seconds while the ball is on the ring. The ball does not go in. What's the call?

Depending on the level probably a technical foul on the coach.

APG Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44am

Assuming NFHS, and assuming the hitting of the backboard was due to a legitimate attempt to block the ball, then it's nothing. If it's not a legitimate block attempt, then the only call to make is a technical foul.

stiffler3492 Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 848061)
Depending on the level probably a technical foul on the coach.

I love the snark

Raymond Tue Jul 03, 2012 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 848058)

What's your opinion based on rules you have read?

todd66 Tue Jul 03, 2012 02:42pm

Under NFHS rules, as the question is written, I got nothing. Crowd and coach will be screaming, but we all know how much they know about the rules.

Adam Tue Jul 03, 2012 03:46pm

I believe the call is "something."

todd66 Tue Jul 03, 2012 03:50pm

ok, the call is legal shot block attempt. No whistle, play on:confused:

asdf Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by todd66 (Post 848083)
no whistle, play on

+1

JetMetFan Tue Jul 03, 2012 04:25pm

NFHS Case Book, Rule 10-3-4 (edited)

A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket...

RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts...

COMMENT: The purpose of the rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6.

just another ref Tue Jul 03, 2012 05:46pm

And if it happens 10 times that night, the same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"

BillyMac Tue Jul 03, 2012 06:59pm

A Pretty Seņorita" In Mexico ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 848095)
The same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"

just another ref: I've got the same guy at a lot of my games. He must be a real travelin' man, or you've been working far away from home.

BillyMac Tue Jul 03, 2012 07:00pm

Who You Gonna Call ???

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6230/6...473e048e_m.jpg

A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. These are examples of basket interference. It is legal to touch the ring or the net if the ball is above the ring and not touching the ring, even if the ball is in the imaginary cylinder above the ring. It is legal to hang on the ring if a player is avoiding an injury to himself or herself or another player.

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.

Adam Tue Jul 03, 2012 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 848100)
just another ref: I've got the same guy at a lot of my games. He must be a real travelin' man, or you've been working far away from home.

I've seen him coaching once. But haven't seen him since.

legend Tue Jul 03, 2012 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 848095)
And if it happens 10 times that night, the same guy will yell every time: "That's a T, ref! He can't slap the board like that!"

Doubly frustrating when that "same guy" yelling for a T every time
is the stinkin coach!