The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I never really paid much attention before I started officiating but it is extremely painful to be the lone voice of reason among my friends and the people on TV. And its all sports, not just basketball. I've rarely seen sports bring out the best of people, but it almost always brings out the worst
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 12:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I guess I never really paid much attention before I started officiating but it is extremely painful to be the lone voice of reason among my friends and the people on TV. And its all sports, not just basketball.
Welcome to the club.

I've had the "that was the right call"/"the officials aren't corrupt" discussions many times before, with friends, family, you name it. And, I'll have them again.

You will be scoffed, and you will be dismissed as "defending the refs." However, if you don't say anything to counter their excessive emotion over logic, they'll only continue believing the myths. That's far worse, IMO.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Welcome to the club.

I've had the "that was the right call"/"the officials aren't corrupt" discussions many times before, with friends, family, you name it. And, I'll have them again.

You will be scoffed, and you will be dismissed as "defending the refs." However, if you don't say anything to counter their excessive emotion over logic, they'll only continue believing the myths. That's far worse, IMO.
I think most of us have had these conversations. But watch out for the "I ref too" claims. You know the guy that has not officiated in several years, but only worked some intramural games while in college but somehow knows what an NBA official does at it relates to their training and background?

Quick very funny story. The other day I was having one of these discussions during one of the playoff games on FB. And I was talking on my friend's site with one of his friends and in the discussion of calling the officials corrupt, he mentioned that he officiated. Come to find out it was not for two years. This friend of my friend also claimed he was taught something at a clinic where I am on the committee for the state. Then when I asked him to be more specific and tell me who taught him a particular philosophy, he clearly started to back away when I told him exactly who I was and what my background was with the conference he was referencing. The guy was clearly caught in a lie and then tried to back off by saying, "Well I heard what I heard……blahblahblah." He obviously use the "I officiate" because he thought I would be impressed and take his words for it and just either agree with his claims or not call him on what he decided to divulge.

But that is what we go through with people when they know you are an official.

Peace