The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 02:30pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I like the idea I've heard floated around that you don't foul out the players at all ... but any foul over (5 in college, 6 in NBA) is a technical foul - 2 shots and the ball.
I works a men's wreck summer league that uses that very rule due to low numbers of players per team. I think it's fine for that scenario, but it is too radical a departure from the fundamental rules of the game for college or the NBE .

I think you would see excessive physical contact increase wherever that rule is applied...just my opinion. The 2 shot T would not be enough to deter some players from excessively hard fouls. Heck, fouling out doesn't even seem to deter some knuckleheads.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I like the idea I've heard floated around that you don't foul out the players at all ... but any foul over (5 in college, 6 in NBA) is a technical foul - 2 shots and the ball.
Was that a rule in the 'ole ABA?
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirty Six Years Ago Today ...

... and it seems like it only happened yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
because the NBA does have a very strong entertainment element to the game, I would enjoy (only) a 7th foul for games that go to OT.
What would you do with this game?

ESPN Classic - Celtics in Land of the Suns after triple OT win
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 08:35pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
I can't give an answer about the ABA, but the NBA uses a rule similar to what has been mentioned -- but only when a player fouls out and there are no more eligible substitutes.

Unlike NFHS and NCAA, the NBA does not allow a team to compete with fewer than 5 players in the game. So when a player fouls out and all other team members have been DQ'd or are unavailable due to injury, the player who has fouled out is allowed to stay in the game (I believe), but any future fouls he commits carry the double penalty.

Forget what I think. Here's the rule, from NBA.com:

Quote:
Rule 3, Section 1:

Section I-Team
a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players. If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.

b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of these players is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced by the last player who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls. Each subsequent requirement to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated in this inverse order. Any such re-entry into a game by a disqualified player shall be penalized by a technical foul.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I never really paid much attention before I started officiating but it is extremely painful to be the lone voice of reason among my friends and the people on TV. And its all sports, not just basketball. I've rarely seen sports bring out the best of people, but it almost always brings out the worst
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Players don't even foul out that often as it is. You only hear of this when a SUPERSTAR fouls out during a playoff game or during the tournament.
There. Fixed it for you.

I suppose any player who fouls out during regulation would then be allowed to return in OT, since he he now has another foul to give?

Good grief.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbers View Post
Unless I mistaken, I believe the ABA allowed 6 fouls and the NBA adopted it when the NBA ate the ABA.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 09:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Unless I mistaken, I believe the ABA allowed 6 fouls and the NBA adopted it when the NBA ate the ABA.
Which makes Wilt's feat of never fouling out even more remarkable.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 06:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sleeping Beauty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Which makes Wilt's feat of never fouling out even more remarkable.
How about his feat of having slept with more than 20,000 women? That's not remarkable?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 12:39pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I guess I never really paid much attention before I started officiating but it is extremely painful to be the lone voice of reason among my friends and the people on TV. And its all sports, not just basketball.
Welcome to the club.

I've had the "that was the right call"/"the officials aren't corrupt" discussions many times before, with friends, family, you name it. And, I'll have them again.

You will be scoffed, and you will be dismissed as "defending the refs." However, if you don't say anything to counter their excessive emotion over logic, they'll only continue believing the myths. That's far worse, IMO.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Welcome to the club.

I've had the "that was the right call"/"the officials aren't corrupt" discussions many times before, with friends, family, you name it. And, I'll have them again.

You will be scoffed, and you will be dismissed as "defending the refs." However, if you don't say anything to counter their excessive emotion over logic, they'll only continue believing the myths. That's far worse, IMO.
I think most of us have had these conversations. But watch out for the "I ref too" claims. You know the guy that has not officiated in several years, but only worked some intramural games while in college but somehow knows what an NBA official does at it relates to their training and background?

Quick very funny story. The other day I was having one of these discussions during one of the playoff games on FB. And I was talking on my friend's site with one of his friends and in the discussion of calling the officials corrupt, he mentioned that he officiated. Come to find out it was not for two years. This friend of my friend also claimed he was taught something at a clinic where I am on the committee for the state. Then when I asked him to be more specific and tell me who taught him a particular philosophy, he clearly started to back away when I told him exactly who I was and what my background was with the conference he was referencing. The guy was clearly caught in a lie and then tried to back off by saying, "Well I heard what I heard……blahblahblah." He obviously use the "I officiate" because he thought I would be impressed and take his words for it and just either agree with his claims or not call him on what he decided to divulge.

But that is what we go through with people when they know you are an official.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 02:39pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I almost hurled the remote at the TV when I heard that one...Instead of getting an OPEN shot with a beautiful fake (which he did), these two geniuses advocate trying to draw a marginal, B.S. foul to win or tie by "jumping into" the defender. Had the shot gone in...these two would be babbling on and on about Wade doing the right thing...a brilliant decision...big time player...blah, blah, blah.

Between them and JVG's complete ignorance of ANYTHING related to the rules, I find myself talking to (yelling at) the TV more and more. My wife thinks I'm losing it. Next game will be watched with the volume off.
Hmmm, I have never seen JVG play, but I have seen Magic play a game or two...or a thousand! Although he may be wrong on this one, and he is not the most eloquent speaker, but he is Magic Johnson for crying out loud!

I think Pierce's sixth foul was an easy call. I wish they would have shown an angle similar to Crawford's on LeBron's sixth foul. It looks like he was moving backwards and could have pinned the defender's arm.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Hmmm, I have never seen JVG play, but I have seen Magic play a game or two...or a thousand! Although he may be wrong on this one, and he is not the most eloquent speaker, but he is Magic Johnson for crying out loud!

I think Pierce's sixth foul was an easy call. I wish they would have shown an angle similar to Crawford's on LeBron's sixth foul. It looks like he was moving backwards and could have pinned the defender's arm.
I wish they showed an alternate angle on LeBron's sixth foul as well...I also thought that LeBron clamped the defender's left arm, but an opposite angle shot would have shown that best.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 02:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree that angle would be better, but you can tell that LBJ took his body to move his defender to the floor. Yes there was some arm contact by the defender, but he was put in a helpless position by the body movement alone to the floor. You have bodies on the floor; you better know how they got there. Joey saw that entire play by his positioning and his angle and got the call right. The media is just stupid as hell and they apparently want a gun to be used before someone can be called for a foul. But if little contact on near the basket takes place and the shooter is "hit" no matter how legal the defender is, they want every little foul to be called. Or they complain if the right person does not get a foul call. Sports media are the most inept group of people in all of media. I see political media people point out the smallest inconsistency in a claim and the sports media cannot look at a rulebook or the box score and see how stupid these claims they make. They are just plain lazy.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 05, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I agree that angle would be better, but you can tell that LBJ took his body to move his defender to the floor. Yes there was some arm contact by the defender, but he was put in a helpless position by the body movement alone to the floor. You have bodies on the floor; you better know how they got there. Joey saw that entire play by his positioning and his angle and got the call right. The media is just stupid as hell and they apparently want a gun to be used before someone can be called for a foul. But if little contact on near the basket takes place and the shooter is "hit" no matter how legal the defender is, they want every little foul to be called. Or they complain if the right person does not get a foul call. Sports media are the most inept group of people in all of media. I see political media people point out the smallest inconsistency in a claim and the sports media cannot look at a rulebook or the box score and see how stupid these claims they make. They are just plain lazy.

Peace
Some of them try (IMO Elmore, Fraschilla, Kellogg to a certain extent). Others are just there to be heard. I work in the media - and for a while I worked in sports media - so it really drives me crazy when they screw stuff up.

Stephen Bardo (ESPN) called me a "hater" because I pointed out some rule screwups he made on his Twitter page. I said it's not hating, it's providing knowledge.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)