The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Hit AGAIN

So, I'm working some wimmens wreck (win or go home games) last night. Toward the end of my 2nd game when the loss was apparent, a player on the losing team is whining for a foul. I let her vent all the way back on defense. She commits a frustration foul, I call the obvious play. As I'm reporting I hear the F bomb & BS... before I can get my whistle back in mouth she slams the ball to the rafters. I went Darell Garretson on her, "Whack, GET OUT!"
A couple trips up & down, shes still on the bench. I tell the table crew she has been ejected, she leaves or its a forfeit.
She's asking them to see a rulebook & cant believe I ejected her for the F bomb.
I call the game, turn towards the table area, take two step toward my chair & BOOM I'm beamed in the head extremely hard by the basketball.
Judging by the accuracy & velocity of the hit I just knew it was one of the mouthy boyfriends that threw the ball. I make a b-line toward their bench area & my partner says it was the player that threw a two-handed overhead ball at me
I tell her she gets a pass only because shes a female!

This is my 2nd post game altercation in about 10 years of refereeing... yeah, both happened in the off-season.

I thought I learned my lesson after the first altercation. WRONG!
Although I had been very cognizant of my surroundings during post game, I underestimated last nights situation for the mere fact that it was a female.

Moving forward, I dont care if its a male or female, adult or child, real season or off season, I have got to keep my eyes on all players at all times!

Reading the June issue of Referee Magazine page 60 makes want to do the right thing & press charges. But on a female??? C'Mon Man!

Thoughts???
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:42am
beware big brother

file charges
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Yes, keep an eye on all of 'em. Male or female, young or old.

As for pressing charges, you have to ask yourself: Are/were you injured? Did you feel your safety was threatened in an ongoing manner (beyond the frustrated outburst)? If you don't call her on this behavior, are you liable to be setting up the next official to be injured or incapacitated? And, as you intimate, do you want to be the next guy featured in a beer commercial for a supposedly unmanly moment?

From your description, it seems the answers are no, no, no and no. But you need to draw your own conclusions. I wouldn't let the male/female thing be the deciding factor. Some of our worst experiences come from women's (and girls') games. They don't get a free pass.

But if you get three no's above to start, then a fourth one might be the route you want to go. If you get one yes, that's all it takes to change the picture.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I've never been one for pressing charges, I think this country is over litigated as it is. But I certainly would have had the supervisor call the cops last night and if the state or whoever wanted to file charges, I would have given them all information they wanted.

On a side note, you need to learn to bob and weave
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree and disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I've never been one for pressing charges, I think this country is over litigated as it is. But I certainly would have had the supervisor call the cops last night and if the state or whoever wanted to file charges, I would have given them all information they wanted.

On a side note, you need to learn to bob and weave
I agree with the general statement that we are an over litigious society. However, I reserve that statement for frivolous civil law suits not criminal matters. This type of stuff will continue to happen until we as officials say enough and press charges.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

No I wasnt injured & I didnt feel my safety was threatened, but does that mean she gets away with her actions of physically touching an official because those factors are missing???

I'm not big on money hungry people filing law suits either, but pressing criminal charges is not a cry for money.

The article in RM says its more about sending a message that we're not going to just take it anymore.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:22am
Esteemed Participant

I don't think I would be filing charges, but I certainly would be talking to whoever runs the league - the city or county or whoever - about their liability if this woman is allowed to continue playing and hurts another official. A lifetime ban from all rec league activities run by that city/county is certainly warranted in this case.
Official Forum Member

File charges so this doesn't happen to another official later on down the line (by her or someone else in the gym). It sends a clear message, it isn't appropriate.

-Josh
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
No I wasnt injured & I didnt feel my safety was threatened, but does that mean she gets away with her actions of physically touching an official because those factors are missing???

I'm not big on money hungry people filing law suits either, but pressing criminal charges is not a cry for money.

The article in RM says its more about sending a message that we're not going to just take it anymore.
I hear you...so if you feel you need to send a message, then do that.

I certainly would thank you for it.

What kind of support did you get from the site supervisor? Isn't it there job to contact the police and file the charges? Seems to me, you would have just given a statement of what happened and your partner too.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I hear you...so if you feel you need to send a message, then do that.

I certainly would thank you for it.

What kind of support did you get from the site supervisor? Isn't it there job to contact the police and file the charges? Seems to me, you would have just given a statement of what happened and your partner too.
In my experiences gym supervisors are more concerned with pacifying the players as their main objective is getting them to sign up for the next league.
As a matter of fact, this is the 3rd time I ejected a player at this particular City of Denver facility over the past 2 years & the table/supervisor neglected to get the player out of the gym.

IDK what their job is...

Last edited by tref; Wed May 16, 2012 at 10:38am.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Judging by the accuracy & velocity of the hit I just knew it was one of the mouthy boyfriends that threw the ball. I make a b-line toward their bench area & my partner says it was the player that threw a two-handed overhead ball at me
I tell her she gets a pass only because shes a female!
So you had no idea who threw the ball...and you wrongly assumed it was a boyfriend. Then...you let a player get away with that act because "she's a female."

And now you wonder about pressing charges?

You really need to adjust your thinking. Your condescending attitude toward women's basketball comes through loud and clear.

I would deal with this within the league...not with outside police/court authority. If the league has no provision in place to punish conduct, then it needs to have one. And this would be a good place to start: an immediate suspension from all league activity for the rest of this season.

If this were a high school game in Massachusetts, the player would be suspended from all sports activity for one year (not just the sport in which the assault occurred.) If this were a men's league in which I worked, the player would be gone for the season.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
So you had no idea who threw the ball...and you wrongly assumed it was a boyfriend. Then...you let a player get away with that act because "she's a female."

And now you wonder about pressing charges?

You really need to adjust your thinking. Your condescending attitude toward women's basketball comes through loud and clear.
Would you prefer that I socked the big girl up as I would if it were a dude??
So you're a wimmens official? If so, I didnt mean to offend you & what you do.
But no, I do not love that brand of basketball & its within my rights not to!

Quote:
I would deal with this within the league...not with outside police/court authority. If the league has no provision in place to punish conduct, then it needs to have one. And this would be a good place to start: an immediate suspension from all league activity for the rest of this season..
Since it was win or go home, it was the rest of the season

Quote:
If this were a high school game in Massachusetts, the player would be suspended from all sports activity for one year (not just the sport in which the assault occurred.) If this were a men's league in which I worked, the player would be gone for the season.
Again, her season ended last night...

I have an email in to my assignor now I will wait to see whats what.
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 11:40am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Since it was win or go home, it was the rest of the season
Doesn't matter that it was the last game of this season...follow through with the City of Denver and see that she gets suspended for a year or for lifetime...
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 12:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would file charges. It will stop all that stuff and stop doing that league if the league supervisors do not take any action. I would not rely on just the league supervisors as they are motivated by money and letting things not ruffle the league than doing the right thing.

Peace
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Doesn't matter that it was the last game of this season...follow through with the City of Denver and see that she gets suspended for a year or for lifetime...
Yup, will do.
Say they do ban her for a year or even life (which i think is a bit much) what about when I or another official sees her in the City of Lakewood or Glendale & she pulls this stunt again?
*leaning toward pressing charges*

Just curious if anybody that replied has read the article in RM?