The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90755-throw-violation.html)

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838738)
Not all that complicated, we should be capable of making those distinctions. And we have to make certain disctinctions anyway to determine whether or not time should come off the clock. Team A is responsible for a legal throw-in. A2 catching the ball while already OOB violates that, IMO.

Except that a legal throwin isn't defined to require that. In fact. It is explicitly defined to not require that.

And still, why make more variations in situations....either way team B gets the ball.

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838742)
Except that a legal throwin isn't defined to require that. In fact. It is explicitly defined to not require that.

And still, why make more variations in situations....either way team B gets the ball.

If it so explicit why the ruling from Mr. Hyland that puts the ball back at the original throw-in spot even if B2 makes the catch?

And definitions and rules can change and evolve and you may or may not agree with them. Thus the phrase "IMO".

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838743)
If it so explicit why the ruling from Mr. Hyland that puts the ball back at the original throw-in spot even if B2 makes the catch?

And definitions and rules can change and evolve and you may or may not agree with them. Thus the phrase "IMO".

Maybe he didn't read the rule before making his statement.

Toren Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838744)
Maybe he didn't read the rule before making his statement.

I had a play two weekends ago it went like this: Team A, with 1.2 seconds on the clock and up 2 points, has an sideline throw in. They call a timeout and come out with a play that gets a wide open pass down the court on the same sideline, problem is the thrower in (A1) throws it so the ball hooks out.

Player A2 who is the intended target is trying to stay in bounds and grab the ball, he fails.

I was the official who handed the ball to player A1 for the original throw in. So I had the chop of the clock. The clock ran to .7 seconds. I run down the court and ask the covering official if the player A2 was standing OOB when he caught the ball. The official says he was. I get the crew together, it's 3 man crew. I tell them, we didn't have a legal throw in, since the player was standing OOB when he caught it. I also interpret that no time could have ran off the clock and the ball should be put back at the original spot.

So Team B gets the ball on their side of the court with 1.2 and they end up missing a pretty wide open 3 pointer to win the game.

Now I'm wondering if we adjudicated it correctly. At the time, the ruling "felt" correct, and now I'm hearing both sides of this argument. But as far as intention goes, the way we adjudicated still "feels" right to me.

bainsey Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53pm

I think it's pretty simple.

ANY TIME a player is touching a live ball when he's on or over the boundary line, unless he's executing a throw-in, he has caused the ball to go out of bounds.

If a throw-in touches something out of bounds before it touches a player, it's a throw-in violation.

Now, as in Toren's case, if a throw-in is first touched by someone out of bounds, there's no way time can elapse, as the violation is immediate.

Raymond Wed Apr 25, 2012 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 838752)
I had a play two weekends ago it went like this: Team A, with 1.2 seconds on the clock and up 2 points, has an sideline throw in. They call a timeout and come out with a play that gets a wide open pass down the court on the same sideline, problem is the thrower in (A1) throws it so the ball hooks out.

Player A2 who is the intended target is trying to stay in bounds and grab the ball, he fails.

I was the official who handed the ball to player A1 for the original throw in. So I had the chop of the clock. The clock ran to .7 seconds. I run down the court and ask the covering official if the player A2 was standing OOB when he caught the ball. The official says he was. I get the crew together, it's 3 man crew. I tell them, we didn't have a legal throw in, since the player was standing OOB when he caught it. I also interpret that no time could have ran off the clock and the ball should be put back at the original spot.

So Team B gets the ball on their side of the court with 1.2 and they end up missing a pretty wide open 3 pointer to win the game.

Now I'm wondering if we adjudicated it correctly. At the time, the ruling "felt" correct, and now I'm hearing both sides of this argument. But as far as intention goes, the way we adjudicated still "feels" right to me.

Your play is why I "want" this play deemed a throw-in violation and the ensuing throw-in returned to the original spot. To me it makes a difference whether it was the offense or the defense who violated.

tref Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 838754)
I think it's pretty simple.

ANY TIME a player is touching a live ball when he's on or over the boundary line, unless he's executing a throw-in, he has caused the ball to go out of bounds.

If a throw-in touches something out of bounds before it touches a player, it's a throw-in violation.

Now, as in Toren's case, if a throw-in is first touched by someone out of bounds, there's no way time can elapse, as the violation is immediate.

+1

Why everyone doesnt see it this way, I dont know. Makes total sense in all 3 codes.