The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Throw-in violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90755-throw-violation.html)

tref Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:52am

Throw-in violation

Yes, I tried the search function... and I'm still :confused:

Looking for an NFHS & NCAA ruling on how to resume this play:

After a made basket A1s throw in pass to the f/c is caught by A2 who is standing on the endline.

I think A2 caused the OOB violation instead of A1 causing a throw-in violation. My understanding of both codes is that we go to the original throw-in spot when the thrower violates.

Thanks

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:00am

Do a search on Interps. NCAA-M say it is a throw-in violation (return to original throw-in spot), NCAA-W say A2 caused the ball to go OOB.

There is a thread somewhere within the last 2-3 months discussing this play and ruling.

BigT Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:11am

Thanks

Thanks BadNewsRef

tref Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:20am

BNR I did read that thread & like many of our threads, it didnt seem as though we ever came to a conclusion.

Guess I'll just do what I feel is right (Lord forgive me).

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:31am

Nfhs

You've got two choices here. Either A2 caused an OOB violation, or A2 caused a throw in violation. Either way, it's by A2, and the spot is the same.

If this was a spot throw in, then it's an OOB violation on A2. Several years ago, the NFHS quietly changed this exact play to a TI violation (I think, by accident), then quietly changed it back.

tref Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838656)
You've got two choices here. Either A2 caused an OOB violation, or A2 caused a throw in violation. Either way, it's by A2, and the spot is the same.

If this was a spot throw in, then it's an OOB violation on A2. Several years ago, the NFHS quietly changed this exact play to a TI violation (I think, by accident), then quietly changed it back.

I think I'll go with an OOB violation on A2 & the throw-in at the spot of the violation instead of a throw-in violation as A2 was the receiver.

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 838655)
BNR I did read that thread & like many of our threads, it didnt seem as though we ever came to a conclusion.

Guess I'll just do what I feel is right (Lord forgive me).

In fact thinking back I think the discussion was about B2 catching the ball OOB and NCAA-M say A's ensuing throw-in should go back to the original spot.

I think it's an important enough, likely enough to happen, that clearly defined wording needs to be added to the rule book.

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 838657)
I think I'll go with an OOB violation on A2 & the throw-in at the spot of the violation instead of a throw-in violation as A2 was the receiver.

I would, too. But if A1's pass was meant to be in accordance with an end line throw-in, it would be a TI violation rather than OOB.

tref Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838662)
But if A1's pass was meant to be in accordance with an end line throw-in, it would be a TI violation rather than OOB.

I disagree, NFHS & NCAA-W says:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line.

RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

7-2-1 If the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary line, such player causes it to go out.

2/21/12 Throw-in violations (Rule 9-5.1.b)
The interpretation of 9-5.1.b has been that when a player is standing on a boundary line or straddling
a boundary line when she catches a passed ball from a thrower-in, that player has caused the ball to be out of bounds...

Art Hyland has me confused :(

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 838668)
I disagree, NFHS & NCAA-W says:

SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line.

RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

7-2-1 If the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary line, such player causes it to go out.

2/21/12 Throw-in violations (Rule 9-5.1.b)
The interpretation of 9-5.1.b has been that when a player is standing on a boundary line or straddling
a boundary line when she catches a passed ball from a thrower-in, that player has caused the ball to be out of bounds...

Art Hyland has me confused :(

I was talking specifically about an end line throw-in rather than a spot throw-in. A1, OOB, throws to A2 across the lane. A2 catches it a) with one foot OOB and one foot touching the IB side of the line, b) with both feet in the air after jumping from IB, then lands OOB, or c) with one foot IB and the other touching the boundary line.

A seems more like a TI violation on A2 and B is clearly an OOB violation. C is a bit more hazy; but it doesn't really matter, as A2 is the violator either way.

Scrapper1 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 838655)

If I may be so bold, here's the conclusion for NCAA-M games. This email came directly from Art Hyland and the ruling will be included in next year's case book.

Quote:

Sorry for the late response, but your rules question presented several interesting issues, and I needed to research the issues to assure myself that there had not been any prior interpretations given by Ed Billick.

You have identified many of the rules which relate to your play situation, but none of them, individually or collectively, provides a definitive answer to your question. Accordingly, the following play situation and interpretation should clarify the issues in question and will be presented to the rules committee this May for final approval before being published in the Case Book:

Play Situation:
With 2 seconds remaining in the game and Team A behind by 2 points, Team A has the ball for a throw-in on the endline after Team B has scored. A-1, the thrower-in, passes the ball down court where it is first touched by B-1 who is standing with one or more feet out of bounds.

Ruling- Since the ball has never been touched by a player inbounds nor met any of the other conditions of Rule 4-70.4, the throw-in has never ended. Team B’s out of bounds violation results in a new throw-in by Team A from the original designated spot ( the endline ). No time shall come off the game or shot clock. Rule 4-70.4, 7-5.2 and 7-2.2

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Art Hyland
Sec. Ed., NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee
For NFHS, I would have said that I also had a definitive ruling, but in looking at the PENALTY section of 9-2, I'm not so sure.

NFHS 9-2-2 says that "The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched."

[Complete off-topic question: why are there hyphens in "from out-of-bounds" but no hyphens in "inbounds or out of bounds"? I would never have noticed it except that I just typed it out :confused: ]

Ok, so prior to today, I would have stated with 100% confidence that a throw-in pass that was caught by a player who was standing out of bounds (out-of-bounds?) would be put back in play at the spot where it was caught. After all, the inbounder did his job. He threw the ball so that it touched a player out of bounds before it went out-of-bounds untouched. The violation must have been committed by the player who caught the ball, and so that's where the ball would be put back in play.

Today, however, after reading the PENALTY section that follows 9-2, I'm not so sure. It reads as follows:

Quote:

PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.
Notice that the penalty applies to the entirety of Section 2. So this now seems to say to me that the ball goes to the original throw-in spot, regardless of who causes the violation.

Thoughts?

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 838674)
If I may be so bold, here's the conclusion for NCAA-M games. This email came directly from Art Hyland and the ruling will be included in next year's case book.

For NFHS, I would have said that I also had a definitive ruling, but in looking at the PENALTY section of 9-2, I'm not so sure.

NFHS 9-2-2 says that "The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched."

[Complete off-topic question: why are there hyphens in "from out-of-bounds" but no hyphens in "inbounds or out of bounds"? I would never have noticed it except that I just typed it out :confused: ]

Ok, so prior to today, I would have stated with 100% confidence that a throw-in pass that was caught by a player who was standing out of bounds (out-of-bounds?) would be put back in play at the spot where it was caught. After all, the inbounder did his job. He threw the ball so that it touched a player out of bounds before it went out-of-bounds untouched. The violation must have been committed by the player who caught the ball, and so that's where the ball would be put back in play.

Today, however, after reading the PENALTY section that follows 9-2, I'm not so sure. It reads as follows:

Notice that the penalty applies to the entirety of Section 2. So this now seems to say to me that the ball goes to the original throw-in spot, regardless of who causes the violation.

Thoughts?

It doesn't go OOB untouched, so it's an OOB violation on the catcher. What rule does B1 break by catching A1's TI pass while standing on the boundary line? Isn't that the way we determine where the ensuing throw in should take place?

tref Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:30am

I'm just going to pose the question to the people I work for & call it how they want it called.

*things that make you go hmmmm* How can the NBA book be thinner & still be written more clearly?

rockyroad Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35am

Scrappy, my only issue with Mr. Hyland's response to you is his use of "designated spot" on the endline. If the score was after a made basket by the opposing team, and then team B violates on the ensuing throw-in (never allowing the throw-in to end), then why would A's throw in be at a designated spot? Wouldn't they retain the right to run the endline?

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 838678)
Scrappy, my only issue with Mr. Hyland's response to you is his use of "designated spot" on the endline. If the score was after a made basket by the opposing team, and then team B violates on the ensuing throw-in (never allowing the throw-in to end), then why would A's throw in be at a designated spot? Wouldn't they retain the right to run the endline?

And, if B violates before the TI ends (per Hyland), wouldn't the arrow stay put if it was an AP throw in?

rockyroad Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 838680)
And, if B violates before the TI ends (per Hyland), wouldn't the arrow stay put if it was an AP throw in?

Yeah!

What he said.:p

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:22pm

Quote:

The problem with Mr. Hyland's interp is that it flies in the face of of 7-2-2 (When the ball is out of bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside a boundary, such player shall have caused the ball to go out of bounds.) and 9-3-1 (A player shall not cause the ball to go out of bounds.). 9-15-1 tells us that the ensuing throw-in shall be at the spot nearest the violation for infractions 9-3 through 9-14: The ball shall become dead or remain dead when a violation occurs. The ball shall be awarded to a nearby opponent for a throw-in at a designated spot nearest to where the violation occurred. (Applies only to Rule 9, Sections 3 through 14)

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:30pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

You could just as easily apply 9-3-2 (No player shall be out of bounds when he/she touches or is touched by the ball after it has been released on a throw-in pass.) and the Penalty for all of Section 3: PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:35pm

Violation on the player who touched the ball while being OOB. The correct throwin spot is the spot of the OOB violation. (NCAA-M interpretation says otherwise, but it doesn't correlate with what the rule actually says).

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:43pm

Again, a situation I think deserves specific case plays. A2 catches OOB then we have a throw-in violation on Team A and ball goes back to original spot. B2 catches the ball OOB and we have a floor violation and the ball goes nearest the spot of the violation. Does B2's violation cause the throw-in to end?

BillyMac Tue Apr 24, 2012 04:18pm

Down This Road Before ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 838651)
Yes, I tried the search function amd I'm still confused.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post833541

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post821321

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838698)
Again, a situation I think deserves specific case plays. A2 catches OOB then we have a throw-in violation on Team A and ball goes back to original spot. B2 catches the ball OOB and we have a floor violation and the ball goes nearest the spot of the violation. Does B2's violation cause the throw-in to end?

Incorrect. Both are OOB violations, neither are throw-in violations.

The thrower only needs to throw the ball such that it touches a player who is inbounds OR out of bounds to legally complete the throwin.

When A2 or B2 touches the ball, it is an OOB violation because A2/B2 caused the ball to be OOB.

If the ball goes OOB before/without being touched by a player, it is a throwin violation.

Of course, in spite of what the rule says, Art Hyland has pulled one out of thin air to say that it goes back to the original spot when a player touches the throwin while OOB. There really is no reason nor rules justification for that.

Adam Tue Apr 24, 2012 04:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838720)

The thrower only needs to throw the ball such that it touches a player who is inbounds OR out of bounds to legally complete the throwin.

When A2 or B2 touches the ball, it is an OOB violation because A2/B2 caused the ball to be OOB.

If the ball goes OOB before/without being touched by a player, it is a throwin violation.

Of course, in spite of what the rule says, Art Hyland has pulled one out of thin are to say that it goes back to the original spot when a player touches the throwin while OOB. There really is no reason nor rules justification for that.

Right, I think the key to this play is to consider who is guilty of the violation. The ball is always put in play at the spot of the violation (with exceptions), so if the violation is on A2, that's the spot. If it's on A1, that's the spot.

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 05:39pm

Quote:

I didn't make myself clear. I want the a throw-in caught OOB by A2 to be considered a throw-in violation with the ball returned to original spot, while a throw-in caught OOB by B2 to be a OOB violation with ensuing throw-in at spot of violation.

Still, a throw-in caught OOB by B2, would the throw-in be considered ended for the purposes of the AP arrow?

Scrapper1 Tue Apr 24, 2012 05:42pm

Quote:

Except that pesky 9-2 PENALTY keeps making me wonder. . .

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 838731)

Then go with 9-3-2 and its penalty.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838730)
I didn't make myself clear. I want the a throw-in caught OOB by A2 to be considered a throw-in violation with the ball returned to original spot, while a throw-in caught OOB by B2 to be a OOB violation with ensuing throw-in at spot of violation.

Why would you want that?

Keep it simple.

A player who touches the ball while OOB has committed an OOB violation and the throwin spot is the spot where they touched the ball.

Why complicated it with which player touches it or whether it is from a throwin or not? Your idea doesn't really solve or improve anything?

You'd also have to decide if A2 stepped OOB before or after touching the ball....and the splitting of that hair could make a big difference regarding the throwin spot. If you keep it at the spot of the touch, it is simple.

If A2 and B2 are both going for the ball and one is OOB, you have to split another hair...who touched it first and the result could drastically different. As it is, you only care that the player OOB touched the ball...the order doesn't matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838730)
Still, a throw-in caught OOB by B2, would the throw-in be considered ended for the purposes of the AP arrow?

And, yes, the throw in legally ended (unless the contact itself was illegal as in a kicked ball)....AP would switch.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Quote:
PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 838731)

You're right that penalty 9-2 specifies the original spot. But what infraction has been committed in that section where that penalty would be relevant? None of the infractions in section 2 have anything to do with another player catching the throwin pass while being OOB.
SECTION 2 THROW-IN PROVISIONS
ART. 1 . . . The thrower shall not leave the designated throw-in spot until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
ART. 2 . . . The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.
ART. 3 . . . The thrown ball shall not be touched by a teammate of the thrower while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 4 . . . Once the throw-in starts, the ball shall be released on a pass directly into the court before five seconds have elapsed.
ART. 5 . . . The thrower shall not carry the ball onto the court.
ART. 6 . . . The thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 7 . . . The thrown ball shall not enter the basket before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 8 . . . The thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.
ART. 9 . . . The thrower shall not be replaced by a teammate after the ball is at the thrower's disposal, except as in 7-5-7.
ART. 10. . . The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

BillyMac Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:47pm

Will It Go Round In Circles (Billy Preston) ...

What makes this confusing is that we're comparing old NFHS interpretations, with new NFHS interpretations, with new NCAAM interpretations, with new NCAAW interpretations. I'm getting a headache. I need a couple of aspirin.

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 07:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838733)
Why would you want that?

Keep it simple.

A player who touches the ball while OOB has committed an OOB violation and the throwin spot is the spot where they touched the ball.

Why complicated it with which player touches it or whether it is from a throwin or not? Your idea doesn't really solve or improve anything?

You'd also have to decide if A2 stepped OOB before or after touching the ball....and the splitting of that hair could make a big difference regarding the throwin spot. If you keep it at the spot of the touch, it is simple.

If A2 and B2 are both going for the ball and one is OOB, you have to split another hair...who touched it first and the result could drastically different. As it is, you only care that the player OOB touched the ball...the order doesn't matter.

Not all that complicated, we should be capable of making those distinctions. And we have to make certain disctinctions anyway to determine whether or not time should come off the clock. Team A is responsible for a legal throw-in. A2 catching the ball while already OOB violates that, IMO.

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838738)
Not all that complicated, we should be capable of making those distinctions. And we have to make certain disctinctions anyway to determine whether or not time should come off the clock. Team A is responsible for a legal throw-in. A2 catching the ball while already OOB violates that, IMO.

Except that a legal throwin isn't defined to require that. In fact. It is explicitly defined to not require that.

And still, why make more variations in situations....either way team B gets the ball.

Raymond Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838742)
Except that a legal throwin isn't defined to require that. In fact. It is explicitly defined to not require that.

And still, why make more variations in situations....either way team B gets the ball.

If it so explicit why the ruling from Mr. Hyland that puts the ball back at the original throw-in spot even if B2 makes the catch?

And definitions and rules can change and evolve and you may or may not agree with them. Thus the phrase "IMO".

Camron Rust Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 838743)
If it so explicit why the ruling from Mr. Hyland that puts the ball back at the original throw-in spot even if B2 makes the catch?

And definitions and rules can change and evolve and you may or may not agree with them. Thus the phrase "IMO".

Maybe he didn't read the rule before making his statement.

Toren Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 838744)
Maybe he didn't read the rule before making his statement.

I had a play two weekends ago it went like this: Team A, with 1.2 seconds on the clock and up 2 points, has an sideline throw in. They call a timeout and come out with a play that gets a wide open pass down the court on the same sideline, problem is the thrower in (A1) throws it so the ball hooks out.

Player A2 who is the intended target is trying to stay in bounds and grab the ball, he fails.

I was the official who handed the ball to player A1 for the original throw in. So I had the chop of the clock. The clock ran to .7 seconds. I run down the court and ask the covering official if the player A2 was standing OOB when he caught the ball. The official says he was. I get the crew together, it's 3 man crew. I tell them, we didn't have a legal throw in, since the player was standing OOB when he caught it. I also interpret that no time could have ran off the clock and the ball should be put back at the original spot.

So Team B gets the ball on their side of the court with 1.2 and they end up missing a pretty wide open 3 pointer to win the game.

Now I'm wondering if we adjudicated it correctly. At the time, the ruling "felt" correct, and now I'm hearing both sides of this argument. But as far as intention goes, the way we adjudicated still "feels" right to me.

bainsey Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:53pm

I think it's pretty simple.

ANY TIME a player is touching a live ball when he's on or over the boundary line, unless he's executing a throw-in, he has caused the ball to go out of bounds.

If a throw-in touches something out of bounds before it touches a player, it's a throw-in violation.

Now, as in Toren's case, if a throw-in is first touched by someone out of bounds, there's no way time can elapse, as the violation is immediate.

Raymond Wed Apr 25, 2012 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 838752)
I had a play two weekends ago it went like this: Team A, with 1.2 seconds on the clock and up 2 points, has an sideline throw in. They call a timeout and come out with a play that gets a wide open pass down the court on the same sideline, problem is the thrower in (A1) throws it so the ball hooks out.

Player A2 who is the intended target is trying to stay in bounds and grab the ball, he fails.

I was the official who handed the ball to player A1 for the original throw in. So I had the chop of the clock. The clock ran to .7 seconds. I run down the court and ask the covering official if the player A2 was standing OOB when he caught the ball. The official says he was. I get the crew together, it's 3 man crew. I tell them, we didn't have a legal throw in, since the player was standing OOB when he caught it. I also interpret that no time could have ran off the clock and the ball should be put back at the original spot.

So Team B gets the ball on their side of the court with 1.2 and they end up missing a pretty wide open 3 pointer to win the game.

Now I'm wondering if we adjudicated it correctly. At the time, the ruling "felt" correct, and now I'm hearing both sides of this argument. But as far as intention goes, the way we adjudicated still "feels" right to me.

Your play is why I "want" this play deemed a throw-in violation and the ensuing throw-in returned to the original spot. To me it makes a difference whether it was the offense or the defense who violated.

tref Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 838754)
I think it's pretty simple.

ANY TIME a player is touching a live ball when he's on or over the boundary line, unless he's executing a throw-in, he has caused the ball to go out of bounds.

If a throw-in touches something out of bounds before it touches a player, it's a throw-in violation.

Now, as in Toren's case, if a throw-in is first touched by someone out of bounds, there's no way time can elapse, as the violation is immediate.

+1

Why everyone doesnt see it this way, I dont know. Makes total sense in all 3 codes.