The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrStBballRef View Post
yeah I agree with what you said...I'm not too concerned about the missed travel, but you are right that my positioning wasn't great. I don't remember getting screened out on the play, but I needed to be deeper more. I noticed that when I first watched the DVD. Film defiantly doesn't lie!
If I might add (without piling on...)

You were in position to see everything with the pressure, which was great, but you may not have anticipated a possible steal and then got caught flat-footed. When that 50/50 pass went up it seemed like there was a good chance it could get picked off.

If you - or any of us - isn't flat-footed on that play, we make it to the endline with no problem. If we make it to the endline, it would give us a chance to close down on the play and look across the lane at the other player as he came in for the lay-up. It doesn't guarantee catching the travel but it'll make it easier.

It would've been nice if the camera angle showed where the new L was but I doubt he/she would've been able to get into position to make a call regardless. At the time the pass was picked off six players were in the frontcourt so I'm figuring he/she would've at least been by the top of the three-point arc.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

As a previous poster stated, you cannot see when he gained full possession of the ball in this play so its hard to make a true determination. Another thing to consider is whether or not the player gained an advantage from this. IMHO he did not. The defenders were out of position to do anything and I don't see this giving him an unfair advantage if he did indeed travel. I sure wouldn't be beating myself up over this one.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2012, 05:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN BB Ref View Post
As a previous poster stated, you cannot see when he gained full possession of the ball in this play so its hard to make a true determination. Another thing to consider is whether or not the player gained an advantage from this. IMHO he did not. The defenders were out of position to do anything and I don't see this giving him an unfair advantage if he did indeed travel. I sure wouldn't be beating myself up over this one.
While I agree you can't quite tell from the angle, I would add that the OP also has his game memory, and it seems as if he remembers enough to add to the video and determine the player traveled.

I also disagree about the advantage. The offensive player used this (assumed) travel to get his feet under him to get his shot off more quickly. A dribble would have slowed him down slightly, and his shot would have been more awkward without moving that pivot foot. That's advantage enough, IMO; especially since a travel is still a travel even without an advantage.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 01:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
While I agree you can't quite tell from the angle, I would add that the OP also has his game memory, and it seems as if he remembers enough to add to the video and determine the player traveled.
The OPer was asking what our opinion was on the play, not to base his opinion on his memory alone. That is why I said it looks like a possible travel if the ball was caught cleanly, but that is not something I clearly see. I would not beat myself up over this kind of play on this angle unless I know for a fact there was no issue with possession. I would not even be surprised if on this play the coach or players even thought this was a travel based on their lack of knowledge or they splitting hairs over which foot was the pivot foot.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 20, 2012, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
I have been thinking that on these types of inside scoring plays, possibly the 3 man mechanics should be updated so that the center, if not on the ball can look for travel calls while the on the ball lead would focus more on contact. Currently, the on ball ref needs to see contact as well as travel which is very difficult when there are multiple players around a ball handler driving to the basket. I realize this would put 2 refs on-ball in this situation but something really should be done about the rash of missed travel calls. I believe it was on this web site where I read about the huge number of missed travel calls in many state finals proving that this is a national problem.
In the League the T is already picking up feet as the L has body contact & the C is prepared for the curl play. It's called Team Officiating. I doubt you'll see it in any HS books anytime soon as WE are too hung up on PCAs at that level. There are a few type of plays that the League require 2 sets of eyes on. There are 2 sides to a screen, aren't there? When you're working with likeminded individuals, I see nothing wrong with incorporating higher level philosophies for court coverage into any level game to make it better. Working HS games, sometimes the R wants double whistles to go to the L sometimes to T. Those are NCAA M&W philosophies in the HS game, right? Nevermind, I've said too much...