The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

He was definitely a secondary defender. The Lead pointed at the RA when he blew his whistle so he is definitely indicating with his mechanics that the arc played a role in why he called the foul.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He was definitely a secondary defender. The Lead pointed at the RA when he blew his whistle so he is definitely indicating with his mechanics that the arc played a role in why he called the foul.
Is he really a secondary defender? Now this could be a different classification in the NBA rule, but in college the SA player was cutting to the basket and did not beat anyone. Would that be a secondary defender in NCAA rules? I was under the impression that was only the right classification if you beat someone. He went right to the basket and got the ball in the lane on a pass, that seems he is the primary defender. Maybe I should review the ruling they gave on the NCAA video, but that does not seem to fit the classification of a secondary defender.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Wasnt the drive to the basket off a pick n roll/slip?

That would make the defender of the screener (soon-to-be-shooter) the primary & the defender in the RA becomes the secondary.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

APG - Where are you ??????

I think this is a perfect call in the "NBA" world, by definition contact occurs with a foot in the RA. I like the patient whistle by the lead,if the ball goes in the basket we have a no call.

As far as the NCAA game, IMO - You should have a whistle immediately when the contact occurs becuase of where the feet are.......

APG - where is your NBA insight ?????
Old Thu Apr 12, 2012, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Hmmm I guess the calling official & myself are the only ones that saw the defender take 2 steps to his right & walk under the airborne shooter while in the arc
The official in the play pointed to the RA, so in doing so, he said that the play would have been legal (in that the defender had his torso in the path of the offensive player and beat him to the spot) but the defender was located in the restricted area.

IMO, this is a correct call. I had the player barely catching the ball outside the lower defensive box. In such, the restricted area comes into play. The defender gave the offensive player receiving the pass an opportunity to land and stop/change direction so he's fine there. For the defender not to be called for a blocking foul (since he was located in the restricted area), he has to alight in an attempt to block the shot. He doesn't and contact was more than marginal IMO as it clearly affected the offensive player's shot...thus the blocking foul.

I didn't have a problem with the timing of the whistle. For one, there's a lot to digest on this play. The official has to decide if the player caught the ball inside or outside the lower defensive box. Then he has to judge if the defender has a legal position based off of that. Then he had to decide if the contact was marginal or illegal. It took him half a beat to decide if the contact was legal or not and IMO he got it right.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.