The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Almost seems like on the whistle the C starts heading the other direction thinking it's going to be a charge. It's hard to say though and that maybe assuming too much.

But also in the case of bodies on the floor I believe the officials should at least freeze or even close down as opposed to immediately heading the other way.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
There are dicussions here about staying in your PCA. This call (type) really turn my beard hair gray. There is no reason for the lead to have a darn whistle on this play. Makes no sense!!!
I think, regardless of this should have been a PC or a block, that truerookie hit it on the head. The bigger learning experience in this video is that any whistle on this play should have come from C. If L is going to come in on this one, it should be with a very patient whistle after giving C every opportunity to call something on the play.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
This is a PC from that angle.

C missed making a needed call.

L stretched and got it wrong.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
This is a PC from that angle.

C missed making a needed call.

L stretched and got it wrong.
I'm not sure that C missed it as much as C didn't get a chance to put a whistle on it because L was so quick to come across? What do you think?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
I'm not sure that C missed it as much as C didn't get a chance to put a whistle on it because L was so quick to come across? What do you think?
Although the L incorrectly blew upon contact, the C could still come over the top & take their call.

I think the biggest issue here is, we dont need a patient whistle on b/c plays in our PCA. What is the C waiting for? This is definitely not a play-on!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Maybe. If that happens, put sound into your whistle, and signal a PC. That will remove some of the injustice.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Possibly, but I think we would've all felt better if the C had at least seemed like she was going to make a call. That's as much of an issue as L being quick on the draw. As TRef said she needs to put a whistle on that play - even if it seems late - because it's in her PCA and it definitely wasn't incidental contact.

BTW - since I'm a geek I went back to my file to see the L's reaction time. It was less than a half-second. I don't know how that compares to calls we make normally but it tells me the L was ball-watching (which we can see) and had it in his mind that he was putting a whistle on it at any sign of contact.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Weird looking block call I might add, maybe he was surprised although quick whistle says otherwise
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I think the camera angle is a bit inconclusive. On first viewing i thought the defenders legs were wider than her shoulders and then I thought she took the contact in the leg, so I had a block.

On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further.

But the one thing I can say for certain, the C should have blown and had a call. And the L, could have delayed his call a little if he really felt he needed to get it from across the paint.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further.
The contact took place with the torso, not the legs, at least not the majority of the contact. That should not matter. The only issue should be if the defender slid over and that did not appear to be the case from my observation.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The contact took place with the torso, not the legs, at least not the majority of the contact. That should not matter. The only issue should be if the defender slid over and that did not appear to be the case from my observation.

Peace
My bad, I should have been clearer on that second statement. On second viewing, it looked more like a PC, her legs looked to be shoulder width and not further and she took the contact in the torso.