The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wow ...

He didn't jump that high with only his legs. He pulled himself up, in my opinion, unnecessarily, not to prevent an injury. Showoff. Technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
He didn't jump that high with only his legs. He pulled himself up, in my opinion, unnecessarily, not to prevent an injury. Showoff. Technical foul.
They must not have very athletic players in your neck of the woods.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

He accelerates upwards after his hands grab the rim. That's a pull-up, IMO. Whether it's called is obviously up to your powers that be.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I acknowledge that my point of view is partially shaped by being a football official first (12 years) and a basketball official second (2 years), but I don't at all understand why anyone would call this a technical. There's no taunting. No yelling. No delay. The kid dunked and started getting back on defense.

If you have to split hairs about the degree to which a kid pulls his arms up, then--to me, at least--you're not even in the neighborhood for a T.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. And not trying to disparage those who think it's T-worthy.

But philosophy-wise, I just think T's need to "be there." Put another way, if reasonable officials would debate it, then that's probably an indication that there's not enough there.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:02am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
.......if reasonable officials would debate it, then that's probably an indication that there's not enough there.

+1

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

A heck of an athletic play.

Otherwise, nothing.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I acknowledge that my point of view is partially shaped by being a football official first (12 years) and a basketball official second (2 years), but I don't at all understand why anyone would call this a technical. There's no taunting. No yelling. No delay. The kid dunked and started getting back on defense.

If you have to split hairs about the degree to which a kid pulls his arms up, then--to me, at least--you're not even in the neighborhood for a T.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. And not trying to disparage those who think it's T-worthy.

But philosophy-wise, I just think T's need to "be there." Put another way, if reasonable officials would debate it, then that's probably an indication that there's not enough there.
The point is that grabbing the rim beyond what is necessary to make the shot/dunk is not legal. That act itself is the taunt.

If you want to propose that pulling up on the rim be legal, then suggest a rule change.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 06:11am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If you want to propose that pulling up on the rim be legal, then suggest a rule change.
I don't think he's proposing anything...just that if we're debating, it's probably marginal, so leave it alone. I tend to agree.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 08:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I have a T, as well. It appears to me the divide here depends greatly upon what our respective superviors tell us.
I think it depends how often officials see dunks in their games, too. Personally, I probably see more than some, less than others, but I didn't even blink on this one. No way I'd call a technical here.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 10:17am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I don't at all understand why anyone would call this a technical. There's no taunting. No yelling. No delay. The kid dunked and started getting back on defense.
Very well. This isn't about unsportsmanlike conduct at all. Often times, people think technical fouls are always about unsportsmanlike conduct, and that's not the case.

See NFHS 10-3-3. This is about grasping the ring. If you pull yourself up on the ring, that's clearly grasping. A quick grasp without hanging is one thing. This is the other side of that bell-shaped curve. We've been told a number of times that grasping the ring is a safety issue, let alone the possibility of breaking the backboard (which can still happen, despite advances in breakaway rims). Wasn't this rule put in place to make sure we can finish the game with two working goals?

I think GroupThink has a point, though. The more often kids can throw it down in your area, the more leeway you're likely to see. There's not a lot of above the rim play in my little corner of the nation. However, the official in the video knew this game was nationally televised, and the kids were there to show off their skills to college scouts. If that's how he was told to officiate, then we're back to Roman Law again.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 10:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Nothing. The momentum of his jump has him going away from the basket and he grabs the rim to steady himself.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 11:10am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Nothing. The momentum of his jump has him going away from the basket and he grabs the rim to steady himself.
I don't think I'd have called the T, but I don't buy that he's steadying himself. He's pulling himself up to get an extra couple of feet on the jump.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2012, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Talkin' To Me ???

Quote:
If reasonable officials would debate it, then that's probably an indication that there's not enough there.
Reasonable officials? On the Forum? You have got to be kidding? Right?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 10:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
This is not a T. The legs coming up as they did was part of the jumping action for the dunk. His twist isn't a foul either.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I don't think he's proposing anything...just that if we're debating, it's probably marginal, so leave it alone. I tend to agree.
Great way of putting it. I agree. Get the obvious.