The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   From ESPN's H.S. showcase...NFHS Rule 4-44-3b in action (sort of) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90327-espns-h-s-showcase-nfhs-rule-4-44-3b-action-sort.html)

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 02:56pm

From ESPN's H.S. showcase...NFHS Rule 4-44-3b in action (sort of)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uRfUeISvcU0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

truerookie Fri Mar 30, 2012 03:21pm

I wonder how this became a jump ball. Stick with original call or IW and give ball back to original team.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 834938)
I wonder how this became a jump ball. Stick with original call or IW and give ball back to original team.

Thus making the problem that much worse...

truerookie Fri Mar 30, 2012 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 834940)
Thus making the problem that much worse...

I agree.

Brick43 Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:13pm

If we have an IW we resume play using POI correct? So in this case no one had established possession following the shooter releasing the ball. So I would think the arrow is the way to go w/o seeing a rules reference telling me otherwise???

Camron Rust Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:17pm

Agree....it has to either be a travel or a IW (and most here agree that it wouldn't be a dribber/travel until the player touches it again).

The ONLY way to get to a jump ball would be to declare it a shot....a really bad shot.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick43 (Post 834947)
If we have an IW we resume play using POI correct? So in this case no one had established possession following the shooter releasing the ball. So I would think the arrow is the way to go w/o seeing a rules reference telling me otherwise???

No, he's not a shooter and it was not a shot....so team control persists.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:18pm

Quote:

The question would be whether the officials ruled a try was attempted. If that's the case then yes, the POI would be neither team in control and the AP procedure would be used. However, did A1 shoot the ball? If he didn't, then Team A was still in control.

truerookie Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:23pm

Quote:

Yes, POI woudl be the way to go with an IW. Since, there was not an actual attempt a violation occurred that's we go with.

Brick43 Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 834949)
No, he's not a shooter and it was not a shot....so team control persists.

See I was going under the premise he was in the act of shooting. He realized he was going to get rejected and just released the ball.. If he fumbled it then yes I see the logic.

Brick43 Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie (Post 834951)
Yes, POI woudl be the way to go with an IW. Since, there was not an actual attempt a violation occurred that's we go with.

What would the violation be??

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick43 (Post 834952)
See I was going under the premise he was in the act of shooting. He realized he was going to get rejected and just released the ball.. If he fumbled it then yes I see the logic.

There's more than those two options. If he fumbled it, he would be allowed to retrieve it, and an IW would revert to the team in control. If he shot it, he could retrieve it, but an IW would go to the arrow. If he purposefully released it without trying for goal (my judgment on this play), then he can not retrieve it or even be the first to touch it; and an IW should go to the team with control.

No way this is a shot or a fumble. It's just a bad pass.

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick43 (Post 834954)
What would the violation be??

His violation is for going into the air with nothing to do with the ball. It's not something we deal with from the whistle, though; it's a coaching issue. :D

Brick43 Fri Mar 30, 2012 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834956)
There's more than those two options. If he fumbled it, he would be allowed to retrieve it, and an IW would revert to the team in control. If he shot it, he could retrieve it, but an IW would go to the arrow. If he purposefully released it without trying for goal (my judgment on this play), then he can not retrieve it or even be the first to touch it; and an IW should go to the team with control.

No way this is a shot or a fumble. It's just a bad pass.

Snaq's I agree with you that it was purposefully released, after realizing he was about to be swatted, but a pass? to whom? Everyone on his team is crashing the boards.

If he jumps up to shoot and just drops the ball (intentionally) then what do you got? I don't have a fumble or a pass but a bad shot.

I guess that is why I agreed with the call. But I see your logic too.

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brick43 (Post 834961)
Snaq's I agree with you that it was purposefully released, after realizing he was about to be swatted, but a pass? to whom? Everyone on his team is crashing the boards.

If he jumps up to shoot and just drops the ball (intentionally) then what do you got? I don't have a fumble or a pass but a bad shot.

I guess that is why I agreed with the call. But I see your logic too.

It's not a try for goal, so I can't give him that. It's not a fumble, so I can't give him that. It's not a dribble. The only other option is a bad pass. He looks like he's hoping a teammate gets to it first.

If you consider this a shot, then you have to let him retrieve it. The case play is specific that this is not allowed.