The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   From ESPN's H.S. showcase...NFHS Rule 4-44-3b in action (sort of) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90327-espns-h-s-showcase-nfhs-rule-4-44-3b-action-sort.html)

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834964)
It's not a dribble.

Snaqs, actually it could be considered a dribble since A1 put the ball on the floor. Regardless, both a dribble and a pass are covered under 4-44-3b.

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 834966)
Snags, actually it could be considered a dribble since A1 put the ball on the floor. Regardless, both a dribble and a pass are covered under 4-44-3b.

You're right (except there's no G in my interwebs name). It could be a dribble, but I don't deem it so if the player never touches it again. He obviously doesn't attempt to touch the ball again, so I'm going with a pass.

JetMetFan Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834969)
You're right (except there's no G in my interwebs name). It could be a dribble, but I don't deem it so if the player never touches it again. He obviously doesn't attempt to touch the ball again, so I'm going with a pass.

Cool, I get your point.

And your spelling :)

just another ref Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:46pm

Rehashing an old argument: Nothing in the definition of a dribble requires a second touch by the player in control. On the release, it is either a pass, a try, a fumble or a dribble. In the OP, the release seems intentional, so no fumble. I can't imagine calling it a try. A pass, by definition is "to another player." No other player is available here, so that leaves a dribble, which, by definition, occurs when the ball hits the floor. Violation.

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 834975)
Rehashing an old argument: Nothing in the definition of a dribble requires a second touch by the player in control. On the release, it is either a pass, a try, a fumble or a dribble. In the OP, the release seems intentional, so no fumble. I can't imagine calling it a try. A pass, by definition is "to another player." No other player is available here, so that leaves a dribble, which, by definition, occurs when the ball hits the floor. Violation.

And how is a dribble defined?

just another ref Fri Mar 30, 2012 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 834976)
And how is a dribble defined?

"......bats or pushes the ball to the floor, once or several times."

JRutledge Fri Mar 30, 2012 06:06pm

It looks like a travel to me.

BTW, I T'd up the La Lumiere coach in a tournament where he was coaching another team.

Peace

Nevadaref Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32pm

The official who made this call is Bill Dixon.
He is the President for IAABO Bd 12.
Events Calendar

He's been around for a long time in that area.

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2012 09:56am

I couldn't get past the horrible positioning of the crew on this play.

JetMetFan Sun Apr 01, 2012 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 835194)
I couldn't get past the horrible positioning of the crew on this play.

You didn't like the two-trail look? ;)

Raymond Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 835266)
You didn't like the two-trail look? ;)

Actually more like Lead and Center strong-side, Trail near the division line weak-side. I don't know what was going on.:confused:

rockyroad Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:12pm

The ball was pushed to the floor - that's the start of a dribble. Since his pivot foot came off the floor before that, it's a travel. Snaqs - I'm having a hard time seeing it as anything else and I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

Adam Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 835293)
The ball was pushed to the floor - that's the start of a dribble. Since his pivot foot came off the floor before that, it's a travel. Snaqs - I'm having a hard time seeing it as anything else and I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here?

I wouldn't call it a travel until I knew for sure it was a dribble. Normally, these players throw it somewhere, anywhere, knowing they can't come down with it or dribble it. This player did the same thing, he let it go and hoped a teammate would come get it. To me, that's a pass, not a dribble, even if it's a bad pass.

ballgame99 Mon Apr 02, 2012 03:23pm

I would agree with the travel just because he pushes it basically strait down, if he had pushed it away from himself you could call it a pass; but on the spot with the whistle in my mouth it would be hard not to whistle this a travel. I still don't understand why they went to the arrow.

tref Mon Apr 02, 2012 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 835437)
but on the spot with the whistle in my mouth it would be hard not to whistle this a travel.

Not when you keep the air in your belly and factor in discipline, patience & benefit of the doubt.