The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2012, 09:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

NIT final

Well, it's final. Stanford wins the NIT. I guess that makes them the 69th best D1 team in the nation. Whoopie.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

I found the selection of the crew to be curious.
Karl Hess worked 3 NCAA tourney games.
Mike Roberts did two. Jim Burr did none.

Now who selects the officials for the NIT? I thought it was the same group that made the NCAA choices, but perhaps not. In any event someone needs to explain to me how an official is qualified to work the NIT final, but not the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney. Burr also did three games in the Big East Conf tourney, including the final.
I understand that the Conf tourney is assigned by a different person, but seriously, can the opinion of an official be so vastly different that he gets multiple games and finals from certain folks and nothing at all from someone else. It would make far more sense to me if he got games from everybody or no postseason from any event.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 07:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I found the selection of the crew to be curious.
Karl Hess worked 3 NCAA tourney games.
Mike Roberts did two. Jim Burr did none.

Now who selects the officials for the NIT? I thought it was the same group that made the NCAA choices, but perhaps not. In any event someone needs to explain to me how an official is qualified to work the NIT final, but not the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney. Burr also did three games in the Big East Conf tourney, including the final.
I understand that the Conf tourney is assigned by a different person, but seriously, can the opinion of an official be so vastly different that he gets multiple games and finals from certain folks and nothing at all from someone else. It would make far more sense to me if he got games from everybody or no postseason from any event.
Most likely Burr did not complete certain administrative obligations required to work in the NCAA tournament.

99.9% sure the NCAA does not assign the NIT games. Appears local/regional assignors handle the first 3 rounds and the Big East handles Madison Square Garden. That's just based on who I see work and where they work.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago, Burr was not assigned to the NCAA Tournament because he had failed to do the proper paperwork and a big deal was made of it. I doubt seriously he would not have done it this year. I'm speculating John Adams feels that Burr's time has passed and he wants younger/quicker officials. Notice that Tim Higgins was also left off this year.

I have no idea who assigns the NIT but obviously he/she/they felt that this crew was the appropriate crew for the final.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 10:42am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
A couple of years ago, Burr was not assigned to the NCAA Tournament because he had failed to do the proper paperwork and a big deal was made of it. I doubt seriously he would not have done it this year. I'm speculating John Adams feels that Burr's time has passed and he wants younger/quicker officials. Notice that Tim Higgins was also left off this year.
I have ZERO inside knowledge of this stuff, but if I had to guess, I'd agree with Jay 100%.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

If you look closely, Burr didnt even wear a side panel shirt for the BE tourny or the NIT. Guess he believes he can do what he wants.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

You will either conform to what Adams wants or you wont work the Tourney.

#pointblankperiod
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopperref View Post
If you look closely, Burr didnt even wear a side panel shirt for the BE tourny or the NIT. Guess he believes he can do what he wants.
Really? This is an issue?
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
You will either conform to what Adams wants or you wont work the Tourney.

#pointblankperiod
But but but....?!
Old Fri Mar 30, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Most likely Burr did not complete certain administrative obligations required to work in the NCAA tournament.

99.9% sure the NCAA does not assign the NIT games. Appears local/regional assignors handle the first 3 rounds and the Big East handles Madison Square Garden. That's just based on who I see work and where they work.
Perhaps Burr felt the NCAA fees were too low for an official of his calibre and did not apply.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Art Hyland assigns the NIT officials and he is the Big East supervisor of officials.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2012, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Art Hyland assigns the NIT officials and he is the Big East supervisor of officials.
Now it makes perfect sense.