The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NIT final (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/90304-nit-final.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 29, 2012 09:37pm

NIT final

Well, it's final. Stanford wins the NIT. I guess that makes them the 69th best D1 team in the nation. Whoopie.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:06am

I found the selection of the crew to be curious.
Karl Hess worked 3 NCAA tourney games.
Mike Roberts did two. Jim Burr did none.

Now who selects the officials for the NIT? I thought it was the same group that made the NCAA choices, but perhaps not. In any event someone needs to explain to me how an official is qualified to work the NIT final, but not the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney. Burr also did three games in the Big East Conf tourney, including the final.
I understand that the Conf tourney is assigned by a different person, but seriously, can the opinion of an official be so vastly different that he gets multiple games and finals from certain folks and nothing at all from someone else. It would make far more sense to me if he got games from everybody or no postseason from any event.

Raymond Fri Mar 30, 2012 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 834893)
I found the selection of the crew to be curious.
Karl Hess worked 3 NCAA tourney games.
Mike Roberts did two. Jim Burr did none.

Now who selects the officials for the NIT? I thought it was the same group that made the NCAA choices, but perhaps not. In any event someone needs to explain to me how an official is qualified to work the NIT final, but not the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney. Burr also did three games in the Big East Conf tourney, including the final.
I understand that the Conf tourney is assigned by a different person, but seriously, can the opinion of an official be so vastly different that he gets multiple games and finals from certain folks and nothing at all from someone else. It would make far more sense to me if he got games from everybody or no postseason from any event.

Most likely Burr did not complete certain administrative obligations required to work in the NCAA tournament.

99.9% sure the NCAA does not assign the NIT games. Appears local/regional assignors handle the first 3 rounds and the Big East handles Madison Square Garden. That's just based on who I see work and where they work.

Jay R Fri Mar 30, 2012 08:58am

A couple of years ago, Burr was not assigned to the NCAA Tournament because he had failed to do the proper paperwork and a big deal was made of it. I doubt seriously he would not have done it this year. I'm speculating John Adams feels that Burr's time has passed and he wants younger/quicker officials. Notice that Tim Higgins was also left off this year.

I have no idea who assigns the NIT but obviously he/she/they felt that this crew was the appropriate crew for the final.

Scrapper1 Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 834907)
A couple of years ago, Burr was not assigned to the NCAA Tournament because he had failed to do the proper paperwork and a big deal was made of it. I doubt seriously he would not have done it this year. I'm speculating John Adams feels that Burr's time has passed and he wants younger/quicker officials. Notice that Tim Higgins was also left off this year.

I have ZERO inside knowledge of this stuff, but if I had to guess, I'd agree with Jay 100%.

hilltopperref Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:51pm

If you look closely, Burr didnt even wear a side panel shirt for the BE tourny or the NIT. Guess he believes he can do what he wants.

tref Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:56pm

You will either conform to what Adams wants or you wont work the Tourney.

#pointblankperiod

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilltopperref (Post 834922)
If you look closely, Burr didnt even wear a side panel shirt for the BE tourny or the NIT. Guess he believes he can do what he wants.

Really? This is an issue?

Adam Fri Mar 30, 2012 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 834923)
You will either conform to what Adams wants or you wont work the Tourney.

#pointblankperiod

But but but....?!

LeeBallanfant Fri Mar 30, 2012 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 834904)
Most likely Burr did not complete certain administrative obligations required to work in the NCAA tournament.

99.9% sure the NCAA does not assign the NIT games. Appears local/regional assignors handle the first 3 rounds and the Big East handles Madison Square Garden. That's just based on who I see work and where they work.

Perhaps Burr felt the NCAA fees were too low for an official of his calibre and did not apply.

tmagan Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:24am

Art Hyland assigns the NIT officials and he is the Big East supervisor of officials.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 31, 2012 04:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmagan (Post 835058)
Art Hyland assigns the NIT officials and he is the Big East supervisor of officials.

Now it makes perfect sense.