The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
You're joking, right? You really think taking 10+ minutes to play the last 2 clock minutes in almost EVERY game is how basketball should be played?

Saving time outs is one thing; endless free throw shooting is ridiculous. That doesn't even speak to the idiotic idea that a team can gain an advantage by consistent intentional rules infractions. Name one other sport that allows that?
Let us not exaggerate the situation. Most basketball games do not take that long to begin with and this part of the game takes long just because of foul situations. And yes I can name another sport and it is baseball. Baseball has not clock and drags because when the game is close and even out of hand coaches/managers do all kinds of substitutions that extend the game much longer than 10 minutes. This to me is a solution looking for a problem as the people that complain about this are often participants and especially officials because they want to save a few minutes to be somewhere else. As I said if teams make FTs this strategy does not work. And if you give players more FTs there is no guarantee it will still work and certainly not at the HS level. I cannot count the number of times where if players made FTs near the end of the game, they would have won that game. And I am not just referring to just fouling situations near the end of the game either.

Peace