The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
  • Precision Timing at all NCAA tournament games. If it is good enough for the NIT [which is owned by the NCAA], then it is good enough for the big tournament.
  • No reset of the back court count for a timeout.
  • Any violation or timeout from the free throw line extended to the baseline is an automatic side out.
  • Expanded 'restricted area'.
  • No alternate possession.
  • No 'media timeout' if the whistle is to retrieve an 'errant ball'.
  • Require officials to report to scorers table the jersey number of all three second violations, lane violations, offensive goaltending.
  • Reduce the time given to coaches to substitute after a disqualification.
I agree all of these sound like an NBA fan who wants to see the changes but...that's why college basketball is college basketball and the NBA is the NBA. They should have a different set of rules in some areas.

I'm in the media and here's something someone pointed out to me years ago: there's a reason why when we put a courtesy on the screen for old NBA footage we use "NBA Entertainment."

As for the rules "suggestions" I can't see a reason for most, if not all, of them (reducing the time on DQ subs...to what, five seconds?). Unlike Mark Sr. I'd like to keep the AP arrow since I always get beat up on jump balls
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
P.S. I have talked to two NCAA Div. I evaluators (who are former Div. I officials) and they have told me that PTS is being used.
If they told you all games were being played on Mars, would you believe that too?

Watch a game, Mark. Have you seen anyone using PTS? No.

Have you seen them reviewing the monitor to reset the game clock in almost every game? Yes.

Sheesh. Think for yourself, dude.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 22, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

P.S. I have talked to two NCAA Div. I evaluators (who are former Div. I officials) and they have told me that PTS is being used. Ask my sons, I refer to Law & Order: SVU as Law & Order: SUV, .
If they were using PTS, then you would see the black box around the waist...watch tomorrow and you'll notice none are wearing it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
if they can afford to install their own floor at every venue, then they can certainly afford PTS at every venue.
So true. If they had a choice in paying for shiny new floors for 14 venues or installing the timing device, I'm going with the timing device.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
P.S. I have talked to two NCAA Div. I evaluators (who are former Div. I officials) and they have told me that PTS is being used. Ask my sons, I refer to Law & Order: SVU as Law & Order: SUV, .
Mark,

They are clearly not using that system. They are very easy to spot. You would see a different mechanic with the chop in most cases and each official, especially the administering official would have their hand on their hip or behind their back based on where they decide to clip the device to their belt. And if you used the system, you would identify it clearly. Now they may use it during the season, but they are not using it during the tournament. At least not the Men's Tournament for sure.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:31am
We don't rent pigs

Why is it used during regular season, but not during the tournament? Are there flaws in the system?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Why is it used during regular season, but not during the tournament? Are there flaws in the system?
Money...as in they don't want to spend the money on it.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
There might be. I know they have had some problems previously and maybe that is the reason for not using it for all tournament games. Each conference decides if they use it and not all conferences use it and I am sure some officials might not be familiar as others. That does not mean that is a good reason, but it seems to be part of the reason it is not used.

Peace
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:01am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Money...as in they don't want to spend the money on it.
Seems that there would be at least as much money available for tournament games as regular season games.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:45am
Administrator

I stand corrected.

Maybe it is my old age and I am having trouble seeing if the officials are wearing a box on their waist; I don't have a super dooper (pooper scooper, ) ginormous plasma flat screen, but if esteemed members of ths Board state that PTS is not being used then I will defer to their knowledge.

note: Duffman, see how I apologized for making a mistake.

But getting back to why PTS isn't being used in the NCAA tournament. I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT. Even The University of Toledo (my better half's alma mater has it for the regular season) and it's men's team got knocked out at home in the second round for the CollegeInsider.com post-season tournament. The NCAA is swimming in money and PTS is not being used in the Tournament, just no excuse for that.

Okay, time for me to go back in my corning and mind my own business.

Everybody have a nice weekend and good luck in your NCAA pools.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Your sources are wrong. There's an entire thread based on an end-of-half error that wouldn't have occurred with PTS.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If they were using PTS, then you would see the black box around the waist...watch tomorrow and you'll notice none are wearing it.
That's because, according to Fox News, they've all had head implants. Watch them all blink when the chop the ball in.

Remember - if you see it on Fox News, it must be true. At least, that's what Billy Packer told me.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

New Rule: no adhesive/sticker or similar items (i.e. sponsor logos, conference insignias, or memorial ribbons) are allowed to be placed anywhere on the playing surface. They provide a health/injury risk to all players/officials who run over it. Any court markings MUST be painted/pre-finished onto the floor (just as current NCAA torunament court markings are now).

There is no reason why TV can't superimpose these on the TV screen (think yellow first down line in foot all games) and protect participants from injury.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 02:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That's because, according to Fox News, they've all had head implants. Watch them all blink when the chop the ball in.

Remember - if you see it on Fox News, it must be true. At least, that's what Billy Packer told me.
If it's on MSNBC, it'll send a thrill up your leg.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2012, 08:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If it's on MSNBC, it'll send a thrill up your leg.
Some posts don't really need to be quoted, do they?