The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Purdue v Kansas - Flagrant 1

Good call. Defensive player coming from behind, goes through the player attempting to dunk. Shooter attempts to grab rim to break fall was probably lucky that no one got hurt.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
If you're wanting a clip of the play, I'm gonna need the time of the play.
APG, I do not recall the time, but perhaps someone else out there does. I was thinking it was around 12:00 minutes to go in first half.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

APG, found it... check your PM's
Old Sun Mar 18, 2012, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I thought this was a good call to protect the shooter. If Purdue player could have jumped another 6 inches he probably could have made a play on the ball.

Overall, I thought this game was officiated poorly. I watched about 30 games this weekend (on and off) and this one stood out to me - did this crew work a Friday game as well?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I thought this was a good call to protect the shooter. If Purdue player could have jumped another 6 inches he probably could have made a play on the ball.

Overall, I thought this game was officiated poorly. I watched about 30 games this weekend (on and off) and this one stood out to me - did this crew work a Friday game as well?
All three worked on Friday:

John Gaffney and John Higgins worked Virginia/Florida.

Ray Natili worked Purdue/St. Mary's.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Anybody who worked on Saturday or Sunday also had a game on Thursday or Friday respectively.

I didn't see this particular game so I can't comment on how the game was officiated, but I can tell you that the crew is excellent. The officials in the clip are John Gaffney (lead), John Higgins (Center), Ray Natili (Trail).
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 02:13pm
Esteemed Participant

By NCAA rules this would be a Flagrant 1, correct? NFHS would be an Intentional...essentially the same thing?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Had 24 from Kansas been more fundamentally sound and not taken that last dribble he could have had a clean dunk and we wouldn't have to worry about it! Or if the Purdue player hadn't had visions of Woody Harrelson.......
Good call.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2012, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're going to have to disagree here. I was sitting second row for this game--basically had the same look as Higgins on this play in particular...excessive contact in an absolute Flagrant 1. Considering these three all work different leagues, I thought they did a tremendous job staying on the same page, consistent on both ends, and in the end, they let the players decide it on the floor.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
By NCAA rules this would be a Flagrant 1, correct? NFHS would be an Intentional...essentially the same thing?
yes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2012, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
We're going to have to disagree here. I was sitting second row for this game--basically had the same look as Higgins on this play in particular...excessive contact in an absolute Flagrant 1. Considering these three all work different leagues, I thought they did a tremendous job staying on the same page, consistent on both ends, and in the end, they let the players decide it on the floor.
I would have to agree that this game was well officiated.