The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Burr flagrant in purdue michigan game

Just wondering here. Did anyone see the swinging flagrant technical on Harris of Purdue. Flagrant---ejection. Good call. But did anyone think that Burr went out of his way to keep John Beilein in the game as well. Seems that he took alot more than he usually does. Must be February (almost).

Last edited by jontheref; Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 02:31pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
Just wondering here. Did anyone see the swinging flagrant technical on Harris of Purdue. Flagrant---ejection. Good call. But did anyone think that Burr went out of his way to keep John Beilein in the game as well. Seems that he took alot more than he usually does. Must be February (almost).
What do you mean "went out of his way?"

Did you hear the conversation? How do you know what was said to keep a coach in the game or eject them?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Jan 31, 2009 at 11:31pm.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

Here's the play. The play starts at the 25 second mark of the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwMJKpEu9_E
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
I saw the game and had recorded. I also watched the post game interview with Beilein. I also read the exact wording of college rule book. I am also a die hard Boilermaker.

I am not so sure on the good call. The contact must be severe or extreme during a live ball. Ball was certainly live. Contact was hard to a sensitive part of the body. What Manny did is done 100's of time a game. They are moving the ball from right to left. Kramer had a LGP. There was contact initiated by Harris. Offensive foul, player control and team control. I believe that the contact was not Flagrant.

If you listen to post game interview with Beilein, I think that he does a great job of explaining the move. I was impressed. I also listened to Kramer's post game interview and he made no mention of foul being flagrant.

I also watched the foul in OSU vs. Michigan game. That is a flagrant foul and deserved the ejection. I am not so sure on this one.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You have a right to disagree, but Burr gets paid good money for his judgment.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I saw the game and had recorded. I also watched the post game interview with Beilein. I also read the exact wording of college rule book. I am also a die hard Boilermaker.

I am not so sure on the good call. The contact must be severe or extreme during a live ball. Ball was certainly live. Contact was hard to a sensitive part of the body. What Manny did is done 100's of time a game. They are moving the ball from right to left. Kramer had a LGP. There was contact initiated by Harris. Offensive foul, player control and team control. I believe that the contact was not Flagrant.

If you listen to post game interview with Beilein, I think that he does a great job of explaining the move. I was impressed. I also listened to Kramer's post game interview and he made no mention of foul being flagrant.

I also watched the foul in OSU vs. Michigan game. That is a flagrant foul and deserved the ejection. I am not so sure on this one.
I agree. Gottlieb and Tom Brennan were breaking this down on SportsCenter and they had a great point: That move is done many times during a game, and a player has to face up to get into an offense. They either have to swing the ball under, or go over like Harris did. It's certainly a PC foul, but I really don't think it was flagrant.

Snaq, you're right, but even the best screw up now and then, and I think this was one of those times.

BTW, the one in the Michigan/Ohio State game was bad. Flagrant plus suspension if you ask me.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

It does not matter if the move is done a 100 times, there was contact and it was extreme contact. I have no problem with the call what so ever. It was a dumb play on Harris' part. Now I do not think for a second he did it on purpose or was trying to break the Purdue player's nose.

The rules also clearly support such a call.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post

If that's not a flagrant call what is?

The wording of the NCAA Rule is "Art. 7. When during the course of play, an individual strikes an opponent with the hand, elbow, arm, foot, knee or leg in a non-confrontational manner but the act is excessive or severe, it shall be ruled as a flagrant foul and not a fighting action."

The way I saw the replay looks like an elbow to face that drops the defensive player to the floor- The move may be done 100's of times but when the contact is that severe, it has to be flgrant.

What happens with the game if this is called as you suggest just a player control foul? Bring on the retalliation! You have to toss on this...
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Amen to both Jeff and Kelvin.

Righteous call imo also.