The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Norfolk State vs Missouri -- throw-in spot after timeout

After the last timeout by Missouri, the throw-in spot was on the sideline. But the ball was in the middle of the paint when the time-out was granted. Shouldn't the throw-in have been from the endline according to

The throw-in from the sideline would give quite a benefit to Missouri in terms of scoring with 2.9 left on the clock. Is NCAAM mechanics different from NCAAW on this?

Last edited by Lotto; Fri Mar 16, 2012 at 06:17pm.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see the play. But was Missouri in their front court or back court when they called the timeout. Last year NCAA women's camp I attended stated that the diagram you refer to only applies in the Front court, that it is ok to put the ball in play on a sideline nearest the stop in play in the backcourt.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure who told you that at a women's camp, but that is not accurate. The diagram above is to give guidance to follow the rule book -- put the ball in play at the spot nearest the violation/foul/or where the ball was when it became dead. There is no exception for the backcourt. Unless there is something unique for NCAAM, this was unacceptable from a NCAA tournament experienced crew. Pretty much a mechanical breakdown from the time the whistle was blown -- the official killing the play did not immediately point to the spot before dealing with the timeout admin to the table and the subsequent monitor review. If he had, perhaps they would not have made the error. Again, this is unacceptable at this level/situation and all three on the crew should not advance on this error alone. Yes, it was a huge advantage for Missouri to get the ball OOB where they did.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfpdi View Post
I did not see the play. But was Missouri in their front court or back court when they called the timeout. Last year NCAA women's camp I attended stated that the diagram you refer to only applies in the Front court, that it is ok to put the ball in play on a sideline nearest the stop in play in the backcourt.
This was in the backcourt, but the nearest spot in this case was certainly on the endline since the Missouri player was in the middle of the paint when the timeout was granted.
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 11:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfpdi View Post

I don't want to know which camp you attended (but you can PM the info, ), but that just steams my tuchus when some ignorant tuchus brain gives out that kind of information. And feel free to tell the person who told you that what I said.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

Let's see if our little forum members can influence who John Adams advances in the tourney. JetMetFan you have his email address, send him a link to the posted video and ask about the ensuing throw-in spot in a critical situation for this game!
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Let's see if our little forum members can influence who John Adams advances in the tourney. JetMetFan you have his email address, send him a link to the posted video and ask about the ensuing throw-in spot in a critical situation for this game!
Himself?
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rocket Ship Diagram © 2009, Back In The Saddle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Hey Lotto? Ever hear the phrase, "Express written permission"?

Back In The Saddle's people will soon be contacting your people.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 17, 2012 at 02:26pm.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Because my first e-mail to him went so well
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Mar 17, 2012, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey Lotto;832492? Ever hear the phrase, "Express written permission"?
No copyright on the diagram...and even if there was, this would fall under "fair use."