The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

This concerns the Missouri 17-14 OT victory over Iowa State on 11/27. As you may remember, Missouri kicked a field goal on their possession in the overtime period. As Iowa State was driving downfield on their possession, they put the ball in the air, and it was intercepted by Missouri linebacker A. J. Kincade. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch filed the report below:

"Even after the interception by Kincaid seemingly ended the game, Pinkel said he wasn't taking anything for granted. Pinkel said that when Kincade started to run the ball out of the end zone after the interception, he and the entire sideline yelled for him to fall on the ground so that he didn't fumble.

"What I wanted him to do was to get down so that he didn't get ripped off," Pinkel said. "The way things have been going ... the ball pops out, they run it for a touchdown, they win the game, see you guys later. In that one brief moment, I was going to go tackle him."

Some of us feel that the game was over at the time Missouri took posession, and that, even if Kincade had fumbled and if Iowa had recovered and gone in for a touchdown on the same play, it would not have counted. The game was over.

Others believe that the Post was correct; that Iowa would have won.

An answer from an NCAA official would be appreciated. Also, what is the governing rule(s)?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

A down is not over until the play is dead by rule.

This applies during regulation play and Extra Period play.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
A down is not over until the play is dead by rule.

This applies during regulation play and Extra Period play.
But what is the NCAA rule? In NFHS the ball becomes dead when B gains posession in OT or on a PAT.
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm..., I sort of left ya hanging didn't I.

Gaining possession in an extra period does not end the down even if you are ahead in the score. This is not NF football here.

Play is over as in any other typical play. Going OOB, taking a knee, being tackled.
Nothing in 3-1-3 says the play is killed before that.